Rust on lower fork bracket

Hi All,
I read the all thread, some of you said that 2014 models should not have rust any more.
I have the bike for about 6 month, have a lot of spots with rust all over the bike.
If you are interested can upload some pics.

BR, Avi.
 
Aviz, welcome to the forum. I would be interested to see pictures.
 
Unless I have missed a few posts from the past concerning this, it seems the two worst cases stem from being under a cover from ack and cormanus, I know that ack lives near the ocean with some extreme winter conditions, I don't know about cormanus though. I haven't seen any rust on mine, but I've only have 1300 miles and never ride it in wet weather, I keep it in my attach garage which stays very dry, I will be taking the front fender off next week when I install my gaiters and I will be watching for it. That is some severe rust on your forks avid, I would be interested to find out how it is being stored when not riding?
 
Thanks Avi. It's always a shame and rather disheartening to see rust appearing on these bikes.

It's really hard to tell for sure, but looking at the images you've posted even if the rust didn't exist, the bike looks like it is need of a good overall cleaning. In the second image, aside from the rust, it looks like the rear fender; the chrome shroud on the rear shock; and the frame itself all look somewhat grungy. (Or perhaps this image is just misleading?)

In general, you shouldn't be experiencing rust like this. Still, from looking at the images provided you might need to perform a bit more upkeep on your bike compared to others depending on the particular conditions where your CB resides.
 
aviz.. Be sure and stop over at new members and introduce yourself and at the registry. I think you may be the first forum member from Israel.
 
Guth_imp said:
Thanks Avi. It's always a shame and rather disheartening to see rust appearing on these bikes.

It's really hard to tell for sure, but looking at the images you've posted even if the rust didn't exist, the bike looks like it is need of a good overall cleaning. In the second image, aside from the rust, it looks like the rear fender; the chrome shroud on the rear shock; and the frame itself all look somewhat grungy. (Or perhaps this image is just misleading?)

In general, you shouldn't be experiencing rust like this. Still, from looking at the images provided you might need to perform a bit more upkeep on your bike compared to others depending on the particular conditions where your CB resides.

Avi, that is good advice Guth is giving you. Has the bike been sitting unattended in humid/salt air? Putting a non-breathable cover over the bike for long periods can, funnily enough, assist corrosion by trapping moist/salt air. That rust on the shock should not have been allowed to develop. A good clean and some anti-corrosion treatment after a ride in wet or harsh conditions is always advisable. A very good anti-corrosion agent is ACF-50, but there are many available, WD40 or, as a last resort, plain diesel fuel. There are innumerable discussions on this forum on the subject.

Cheers
 
Thank you all for your concern and good advices.
First I would like to note that I posted the information and photo since I found the forum very useful and wanted to contribute and help, mainly because I saw some people wrote that the rust problem shouldn’t happen in 2013/2014 models.
I’ll tell you about my “Relationship” with the CB, it might explain why I don’t shine it after each drive (-:
Import taxes and insurance on motorcycle in Israel are much more than 100% compared to the price in US. IE 2014 brand new will cost more than 25K$ !!!
Therefore we usually don’t hold 1 motorcycle for weekends and another for daily use (:
I chose CB1100 not for the regular reason, I chose it because it is the only (NON Sport bike) in Israel it’s legal to take my kid (almost daily) with me on my way to and back from work (the law state the the kids legs have to touch the foot pegs).
Unlike in the usa, Most of the houses and workplaces in israel don’t have a garage, the bike will stand out side, (I do have a roof for him at night, yet without wall or cover).
I don’t leave by the sea nor in acid environment.
First time to buy Honda.
I ride bikes for more than 20 Years, once in few weeks i clean them thoroughly, but usually I just clean it lightly and lubricate the moving parts. NEVER had rust on my bike after such short period and under the same conditions (IE, my 13 years old bicycle have only one rusted nut and stay in the same condition).

button line, I believe that motorcycle could (in my case should) be used on daily basis, hence get a little dirty once in a while. I don’t think that motorcycle from Honda should get rust after such short period.
 
without being there, my guess would be a combination of condensation and the grunge layer providing a place for any moisture to linger around slightly longer..
On various bikes I've had rust spots appear in areas that don't get cleaned regularly (like underneath chromed lower triple clamps of both my Honda Fury, Harley Softail and long gone VT1100).
Some combination 'Chrome Cleaner + Wax' seems to keep it at bay after it first appears. The cleaner dissolves the rust and, it is claimed, a layer of wax is left behind to help seal the area of direct moisture contact.
 
I agree too.

Wow $25K for a CB 1100. There was another country somebody posted about exorbitant prices in? Taiwan maybe?

At any rate I think Honda would take care of that. at least I personally hope so.
 
If storing under a cover that does not breath the moisture could be a problem from night condensation.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top