Rust on lower fork bracket

Deanohh_imp said:
As it has been stated many times here, the way to avoid the so called problem is:

If you live in a humid or maritime climate, dont buy one or if you do dont ride it.

---Captain Obvious.
LOL! That's pretty harsh.

I've been caught in the rain several times. When I replaced my fenders recently there was no signs of rust.

Keeping the bike in the house doesn't hurt.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
As it has been stated many times here, the way to avoid the so called problem is:

If you live in a humid or maritime climate, dont buy one or if you do dont ride it.

---Captain Obvious.
LOL! That's pretty harsh.

I've been caught in the rain several times. When I replaced my fenders recently there was no signs of rust.

Keeping the bike in the house doesn't hurt.
That's my plan for her now, I know that works. :D Not even a cold garage anymore.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
Evidently they are no good as a "rainmobile".
I rode mine in hell of a rainstorm, it got covered with muddy water and looked like crap afterward. Took me two hours to clean it. There is not the slightest trace of rust or corrosion anywhere on it. I just blew it off with compressed air and let it dry naturally.

???
INTP_imp said:
Does this mean the CB11 is a novelty bike?
It really is, but as a regular ride I certainly like it and have not had any of these issues. I don't live in the desert, either.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
As it has been stated many times here, the way to avoid the so called problem is:

If you live in a humid or maritime climate, dont buy one or if you do dont ride it.

---Captain Obvious.
Or be proactive about protecting your bike from the conditions that are possibly causing the corrosion issues.
 
For those who may need to use their bike to commute or ride in areas where the weather is not ideal where it may have be parked in open areas for certain times of the day and who may only have carports or bike covers, we should compile some inputs of exactly what has proven to be successful proactive measures regarding clamps and fasteners, painted steel areas, chrome plated areas, bare or painted aluminum areas, tires, wheels, chain, electrical connections, and anything else that would need it.
 
Well, my bikes get ridden year round, in the rain (seems inevitable on a trip), in the sun, with snow on the side of roads that have been salted, and to tell you the truth I keep my bikes somewhat clean but I'm not anal about it, no taking tooth brushes to the bottom of the motor for me. No, I wash my bikes with S-100 or Bike Brite a couple times a year, dry them with towels, hit the shiny parts with Honda Spray polish, and other that that I ride them. That's what they are made for. It's what I bought it for anyway.

If some parts get a little rust on them, the next guy that gets the bike from me will inherit the rust as well.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Well, my bikes get ridden year round, in the rain (seems inevitable on a trip), in the sun, with snow on the side of roads that have been salted, and to tell you the truth I keep my bikes somewhat clean but I'm not anal about it, no taking tooth brushes to the bottom of the motor for me. No, I wash my bikes with S-100 or Bike Brite a couple times a year, dry them with towels, hit the shiny parts with Honda Spray polish, and other that that I ride them. That's what they are made for. It's what I bought it for anyway.

If some parts get a little rust on them, the next guy that gets the bike from me will inherit the rust as well.
Did you notice any rust on your '13?
 
Not that I noticed David, but I didn't crawl around looking for it. Certainly never looked up under the fenders.
 
I'm wondering if the rust problem some riders are having might be from a particular production run or something like that. Seems like there are a lot of people reporting corrosion issues, (even in Europe), and a lot of others are not. As you said, you rode yours in all conditions, and had no noticeable issues.

I'm not real concerned about it, but I do plan on using mine, and keeping it for a long time, so I am going to be wary of it.
 
Not sure what the explanation could be. There is plenty of wetness here in the Pacific Northwest. I just gave my CB a good look and find no signs of rust. Dirt and road grime, yes, but that's it. My bike is really due for a washing.
 
Thread starter
I'm in the Pacific Northwest too. I keep it in a dry shed where I keep my tools and nothing else in the shed is rusting. It does get wet sometimes when I'm out on it but nothing out of the ordinary. Rode plenty of bikes in wet weather and never ran into this before

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
LiveToRide_imp said:
I'm in the Pacific Northwest too. I keep it in a dry shed where I keep my tools and nothing else in the shed is rusting. It does get wet sometimes when I'm out on it but nothing out of the ordinary. Rode plenty of bikes in wet weather and never ran into this before

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
I'm guessing that they will measure the paint film thickness and find out not enough paint was applied.
 
Maybe there is something to the production run theory. Wonder if the VINs of the bikes in question are close together?
 
The CB is no different then the old UJM's. There's a lot for the eye to see which is the beauty of the bike. Along with that comes pitted shocks rusty exhaust collars (but our rims should stay in decent shape) There is just to much to view not to see imperfections. The newer bikes today have rear mono shocks and are covered with painted plastic parts.

Look at the barn finds of the 70 and 80's, most have low miles but are rusted beyond repair. Whether you store it or ride her its going to age.

Just ride it and enjoy it.
 
CIP57_imp said:
The CB is no different then the old UJM's. There's a lot for the eye to see which is the beauty of the bike. Along with that comes pitted shocks rusty exhaust collars (but our rims should stay in decent shape) There is just to much to view not to see imperfections. The newer bikes today have rear mono shocks and are covered with painted plastic parts.

Look at the barn finds of the 70 and 80's, most have low miles but are rusted beyond repair. Whether you store it or ride her its going to age.

Just ride it and enjoy it.
Thats exactly the conclusion I've come to, I think they have made them the same as they did 35yrs ago.
Anyway, did the rear fender yesterday and its looking loads better today, took front fender off today, clean and treated with Acf50, 10 min job.

The CB is a beautiful bike and if it takes extra care to keep it looking good then thats fine with me,
CIP57_imp said:
The CB is no different then the old UJM's. There's a lot for the eye to see which is the beauty of the bike. Along with that comes pitted shocks rusty exhaust collars (but our rims should stay in decent shape) There is just to much to view not to see imperfections. The newer bikes today have rear mono shocks and are covered with painted plastic parts.

Look at the barn finds of the 70 and 80's, most have low miles but are rusted beyond repair. Whether you store it or ride her its going to age.

Just ride it and enjoy it.
k

Thats exactly the conclusion I've come to, I think they have made them the same as they did 35yrs ago.
Anyway, did the rear fender yesterday and its looking loads better today, took front fender off today, clean and treated with Acf50, 10 min job.

The CB is a beautiful bike and if it takes extra care to keep it looking good then thats fine with me,
 
Any protection used under the fenders will have a very difficult job. That's a spot that is constantly being washed and abraded by road chemicals, sand, pebbles, and water thrown up pretty forcefully by the tires. Without additional protection, even a thick chrome plating will eventually be worn through to bare steel by the tire wash.

Something under there is probably better than nothing but if its painted or under coated, it will be difficult to get good adhesion to the chrome plating. If some paint ever chips off a little, that spot will become a trap for corrosion to start and eat under the rest of the paint or coating.

Makes me think about attaching some sacrificial zinc anodes like they use on boats.
 
Since I have a 2014 on order, I'm going to make two assumptions: 1. All those suffering premature rust problems live on the ocean shore. 2. Honda fixed the problem for 2014.

There... now I feel a lot better.
 
Deanohh,

I work on a lot of small craft at my friends shop and own boats of my own. Sacrificial zincs on boats and outboards, outdrives, etc. work because they have a medium for current flow, i.e. water. The zincs do nothing for corrosion when the boat or motor is out of the water.

There are a number of corrosion processes. Corrosion control is a BIG DEAL in aviation and there are no zincs on any Naval aircraft that I have ever seen as they just wouldn't work. OK, seaplanes, I've never seen one...

Google corrosion types. It will be an interesting read. There are many types.
 
Back
Top