Rubber Lever End Thingies

Thread starter
See above suhawk ... if they’re RLETs, you’re probably OK. If they’re PLETs then you may be safer with naked ball ends.
 
Yea I don't think I'd risk it. Just be careful out there.
 
Not to keep resurrecting this old thread but...

i just got a pair of these, and i'm of a mind to believe i've been pranked. there's no way these can go on without me cutting them in half and gluing them back together or something. I need to see an actual video of an RLET sliding over a lever end before i'll believe it.
 
It's easier than it looks. You just need rubber gloves and some lubricant. A candlelight dinner and drinks are optional.
 
yea yea...jokes jokes...i'm seriously at a loss here though. i now have to order another rlet because i've managed to split one in half while trying to stretch it. this is really impossible. i've tried everything i've read, heating them, grease, oil, everything. they just slip off the end. it never stays centered long enough to stretch over.
 
It just requires a special touch.
 
I found that I needed a dry lever and a slick RLET. Gloves might help.
So, my “joke” was only about the dinner and drinks.

I also found that once you have just a bit of the rlet pushed onto the knob, I just twisted them on and in a few seconds they were on.

Here’s a not very helpful video of my installation. Note that I lubed the inside of the RLET prior. Ali’s note that I wiped the lever clean and dry.


 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Not to keep resurrecting this old thread but...

i just got a pair of these, and i'm of a mind to believe i've been pranked. there's no way these can go on without me cutting them in half and gluing them back together or something. I need to see an actual video of an RLET sliding over a lever end before i'll believe it.

1/3 drop extra virgin olive oil on the rim of the RLET
14.3 seconds in the microwave
clean, dry fingers
 
The ferret_imp said:
Lol...HEY NEMO
:rofl:
Glass cleaner on the lever and/or inside the RLET. Hold the RLET in a rag so it doesn’t slip from your fingers, present the RLET opening to the lever’s ball, speak the magic words (Come on baby, I’ll be gentle), and slide it in.
:thumbsup:
 
wow pdedse that was like 4 seconds. That would be a new forum record I think
 
Nemo_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Lol...HEY NEMO
:rofl:
Glass cleaner on the lever and/or inside the RLET. Hold the RLET in a rag so it doesn’t slip from your fingers, present the RLET opening to the lever’s ball, speak the magic words (Come on baby, I’ll be gentle), and slide it in.
:thumbsup:
See, all that seems logical, but my attempts to do that (albeit with oil, grease, and wd40 one after another) just resulted in the RLET kind of crumpling up and refusing to cooperate. the opening just kind of folds up rather than stretching around the lever end, and I don't know how to stop it from doing that.


The ferret_imp said:
wow pdedse that was like 4 seconds. That would be a new forum record I think
I have no idea what I just saw. All i can do is take his advice about the microwave and try that. I tried boiling it but it didn't really affect the flexibility much.

He said to put oil on it, then microwave it...that strikes me as a way to get some super hot oil on your fingers. did he mean to put the oil on after the microwaving?

At any rate. My next attempt will be in a few days, on account of splitting one of them open while trying to put it on. Got to wait for a new one to ship.
 
I found it important to be in the right state of mind. Mine sat in the tool box for 4 or 5 months before I had the courage to try. I knew that if I failed, I'd be compelled to tell others here about my shortcomings. I expected to receive some encouragement, and some ridicule (yes, you know who you are!). Then one day, it all felt right. I cleared all negative thoughts from my mind. Then, to my amazement, the first one went on in about 15 seconds, the second in about 20. I felt elation! I was in THE CLUB!

My "secrets": warm, soapy water and mechanics gloves.

Good luck, you can do this!

misterprofessionality_imp said:
Nemo_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Lol...HEY NEMO
:rofl:
Glass cleaner on the lever and/or inside the RLET. Hold the RLET in a rag so it doesn’t slip from your fingers, present the RLET opening to the lever’s ball, speak the magic words (Come on baby, I’ll be gentle), and slide it in.
:thumbsup:
See, all that seems logical, but my attempts to do that (albeit with oil, grease, and wd40 one after another) just resulted in the RLET kind of crumpling up and refusing to cooperate. the opening just kind of folds up rather than stretching around the lever end, and I don't know how to stop it from doing that.


The ferret_imp said:
wow pdedse that was like 4 seconds. That would be a new forum record I think
I have no idea what I just saw. All i can do is take his advice about the microwave and try that. I tried boiling it but it didn't really affect the flexibility much.

He said to put oil on it, then microwave it...that strikes me as a way to get some super hot oil on your fingers. did he mean to put the oil on after the microwaving?

At any rate. My next attempt will be in a few days, on account of splitting one of them open while trying to put it on. Got to wait for a new one to ship.
See, all that seems logical, but my attempts to do that (albeit with oil, grease, and wd40 one after another) just resulted in the RLET kind of crumpling up and refusing to cooperate. the opening just kind of folds up rather than stretching around the lever end, and I don't know how to stop it from doing that.


The ferret_imp said:
wow pdedse that was like 4 seconds. That would be a new forum record I think
I have no idea what I just saw. All i can do is take his advice about the microwave and try that. I tried boiling it but it didn't really affect the flexibility much.

He said to put oil on it, then microwave it...that strikes me as a way to get some super hot oil on your fingers. did he mean to put the oil on after the microwaving?

At any rate. My next attempt will be in a few days, on account of splitting one of them open while trying to put it on. Got to wait for a new one to ship.
 
Apologies if this has been said previously in this Loooong thread. Rubber softens and becomes more elastic heated in boiling water. First look at the opening in the RLET, It is somewhat "D" shaped. The straight portion of the "D" fits the back side of the lever. Boil the RLETs in a small pan, and carry the hot pan out to near your bike. Apply warm soapy water to the ball of the lever. Catch the straight portion of the "D" opening on the back side of the lever ball end ( wear gloves because of heat and to provide friction while pushing against the rubber ). Holding the back side in place with one hand, work the front ( rounded portion of the opening in the RLET ) around the ball with the other hand. Once the RLET stem is past the ball, a little tweaking to get position on the lever end aligned. After doing one, you may have to re-heat to do the other.

The soapy water lubricant will evaporate and dry without harming the rubber. Grease, WD-40, or anything chemical/petroleum based will not evaporate, and may interact with the rubber over time, so I would not use anything to lube except soapy water.
 
Victory.

I discovered the key element that nobody was saying out loud (or so it seemed). The rag! Some people had mentioned using a clean dry shop rag, but never explained why that was important. As long as the exterior of the rlet is dry and clean and so is the rag, the rag allows you to keep a grip on the neck of the rlet as it stretches over the ball end of the lever. I'll repeat that this is specifically for gripping the neck of the rlet, because my first instinct was to push against the ball part and that absolutely will not work. Using the rag you can force the rlet neck over the ball and then it goes on. This is the most important secret. Oil or something on the inside is absolutely required too.
 
Ummm, very good. A Padawan learner no longer you are. One of us you are now!! A CB Master!
 
:angel: and thanks to MP another angel get's their wings! :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top