Rubber Lever End Thingies

OK, I have spent too many hours researching this and here is the first time I can find the acronym "RLET's" used on the forum and it was indeed by (*** Edit, see below post 283) Cormanus, although not in the first post of this thread, as he claims above, but in post #147 of this thread on May 1st 2014. Prior to that they were called rubber lever end thingies (as in the title of this thread) or little rubber end thingies. After Cormanus used the term RLET's at 11:00 PM, Shdwghst used it again 20 days later on 5-20-2014 at 12:29 A.M. in the next post of this thread and the rest is history. If anyone else can find an early use of the term, they are a better sleuth than I. I have read literally thousands of posts. If anyone finds any use of the term RLET prior to May 1st, 2014 at 11:00 pm, please let me know and I will correct this post.


05-01-2014, 11:00 PM
Post: #147
Cormanus Offline
High Mileage
Posts: 3,341
Joined: Dec 2013

Rubber Lever End Thingies
RLETs! Check. Don't leave home without them.


05-20-2014, 12:29 AM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2014 12:37 AM by shdwghst457.)

Post: #148 |
shdwghst457 Offline
Running Like a Top
Posts: 471
Joined: Feb 2014

RE: Rubber Lever End Thingies
So where's the best place to get a set of RLETs? My CB is sad without them.

Never mind; ordered!
'13 - #000955




.
 
Ferret,

I searched around too, and could swear someone said he was tired of typing it out and said lets use RLETS. Could have been Cormanus, but I can't remember, and got tired of looking.

In any case you caused a monster thread on the most unlikely farkle ever, in my opinion! :)
 
Dang you popgun..had to go read more and found where Shdwghst used it on April 16th, a full 2 weeks before Cormanus used it in this thread. So for now I am giving credit to shdwghst457.

sticky thread idea
04-16-2014, 12:19 AM
Post: #1 |
shdwghst457 Offline
Running Like a Top
Posts: 471
Joined: Feb 2014

sticky thread idea
Can we get a sticky thread going that lists the various primary sites to go to for accessories? Links to sites like Samurider, and the guy on ebay with the crucial RLETs. I think this would be very helpful for people like me who at the time can only think of Samurider's site's name!

'13 - #000955


04-16-2014, 10:17 PM

Post: #5 |


shdwghst457 Offline
Running Like a Top
Posts: 471
Joined: Feb 2014

RE: sticky thread idea
RLET, of course, being Rubber Lever End Thingies.

'13 - #000955





,
 
Thread starter
Ferret, to be clear, my claim to use the acronym "RLET" for the first time was in post #147 as you identified. I also said I thought some one else had used the acronym RLET before me, so we'll done to you and Popgun for some brilliant sleuthing. In relation to post 1 of this thread; I claimed to be the first to use the expression "rubber lever end thingies".

For the record, I'd be delighted to be wrong about my claim to be the first to write "rubber lever end thingies". But I couldn't find an earlier reference on this site or anywhere else on the WWW.
 
Yea Cormanus I know you said you weren't the first to use the acronym, I just couldn't find it used earlier so you got the initial credit until I took a 3rd or 4th look as the case may be. It's been fun digging though.

Now I have to dig up first use of the term rubber lever end thingies lol, and right now you are in the lead with this thread title from 3-31-14
 
Thread starter
Popgun,

I think I need the help of a more learned forum member to explain how to use those smileys, but I'll have a go.

First, I can't see any way to copy and paste the image itself. You have to treat it like any other image and insert a link to it.

They come from a website, freesmileys.org. There are lots of them. The page for the first one I used looks like this:


Under each smiley you can see three boxes. Click in the first one, called Forum Code, and copy it. You'll end up with a link you can paste into your post and the smiley will be displayed.

Alternatively, you can find keep the code somewhere and just paste it in when you need it. I can't just type the code into the message; if I do, it displays the smileys and you can't see the code. It looks like this:


To help you copy it, just replace SB in the following lines with a square bracket "[" and the resulting code with give you the smiley you want.

SBurl=SBimg]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink033.gif[/img]freesmileys.org] =

SBurl=http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php]SBimg]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/popcorn.gif[/img] = [url=http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php]

I'm sorry if that's confusing. The only other alternative I can suggest is sustained lobbying of Guth to include at least a popcorn smiley!


The ferret_imp said:
Ferret, follow the link [url=http://bit.ly/1ahFVij]here. Do nothing and it will step you through a Google search for the term "rubber lever end thingies" on the whole internet. The first reference Google finds is this thread.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Ferret,

I searched around too, and could swear someone said he was tired of typing it out and said lets use RLETS. Could have been Cormanus, but I can't remember, and got tired of looking.

In any case you caused a monster thread on the most unlikely farkle ever, in my opinion! :)
This may be what you're thinking of Popgun....

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2830&pid=39395#pid39395

Your reply is here....

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2830&pid=39422#pid39422

:D:D
 
Damfino,

That's it!! In my book at least, you get the credit for being first. :worship: :clap:

Cormanus, I'm going to print that out and see if I can figure it out. Thanks! :thumbsup:

And I'm not bothering Guth about smileys again. Don't want to get sent to band camp ya know :P
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Damfino,

That's it!! In my book at least, you get the credit for being first. :worship: :clap:

Cormanus, I'm going to print that out and see if I can figure it out. Thanks! :thumbsup:

And I'm not bothering Guth about smileys again. Don't want to get sent to band camp ya know :P
Mate, when I look again, I've overcomplicated it. The code to paste into your post is [ + img];]freesmileys.org or
[ + img]]freesmileys.org

Simply take out the spaces and + between the opening square bracket [ and 'img' and stick it in your post.

Or, use the 'Reply' or 'New Reply' functions on the forum, click on the insert image button and paste either freesmileys.org or freesmileys.org in the box that pops up.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Damfino,

That's it!! In my book at least, you get the credit for being first. :worship: :clap:

Cormanus, I'm going to print that out and see if I can figure it out. Thanks! :thumbsup:

And I'm not bothering Guth about smileys again. Don't want to get sent to band camp ya know :P

Just to be clear, I did not come up with the acronym (or is it abbreviation?) of RLET's, just suggested we should start using it more universally to save time...;)
 
Thread starter
Looks to me like Shdwghst first used it and Damfino made it socially acceptable.
 
Group effort ... Just happy to be a part of this group, one that gets so much enjoyment from something so insignificant.
 
Thread starter
Don't be modest, Ferret. You started promoting fitting RLETs to the CB1100 and it's become a world-wide phenomenon. I hope Honda gives you a free bike sometime.
 
Cormanus, Thanks for the simplification. I'll play with it later as we are snowed in today.

Ferret should get a commission check for all the RLETS sold. I be every one sold in the last 2 years is due to him!

Remember Ridem bought every one Honda had in the warehouse? Then Honda said they weren't available anymore? Then started making them again. I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to buy some spares, just in case...
 
These little rubber lever condoms add weight, increase wind resistance, deflect wind into your eyes and suggest the owner might lack naked bike style confidence by covering up his levers. I know that's right.
 
There is no need to be jealous. For $6 or so, you can join the enlightened, and experience true tranquility. ;)
 
I am sooo glad, that i am getting adjustable aftermarket levers from Mr. T and therefore claim "Neutral" status regarding the RLET's.
 
mjezek_imp said:
I am sooo glad, that i am getting adjustable aftermarket levers from Mr. T and therefore claim "Neutral" status regarding the RLET's.
You'll need ARLET's, then.
 
Capo_imp said:
mjezek_imp said:
I am sooo glad, that i am getting adjustable aftermarket levers from Mr. T and therefore claim "Neutral" status regarding the RLET's.
You'll need ARLET's, then.
You'll need ARLET's, then.
Good Point ... It may open a whole other can of worms but worth the effort !
 
Back
Top