Rough ride and night last night.

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Yesterday was just another normal day. By afternoon I had my chores done, it wasn't raining and temps were tolerable so I dressed up and went for a ride on the ST.

I had been gone about 20 mins and decided to stop into my local dealer to see if there was anything new, and to chat. I walked in, took off my helmet and coat and started talking about Roczens (MX star) bad crash when all of a sudden my kidney, left side, started hurting and I became nauseous. I started to sweat bad and felt ill. Went back to the bathroom because I thought I was going to throw up but didn't. Told the guys I didn't feel well and started for home, a trip of about 17 miles the way I was going.

Within 5 miles the pain in my back was getting excruciating, causing me to involuntarily groan in my helmet and the nausea was overwhelming. I thought I was going to pass out. Really I should not have been riding at this point. I kept telling myself a few more miles to go. I started getting pain in my abdomen as well because my bladder was full. Between the pain and the nausea I was having trouble concentrating, but I finally made it home. Dumb decision to ride in that condition. Dumb! Should have told the guys in the shop to call my wife or give me a ride to the hospital or call 911.

I called my wife and told her I had an emergency to come home from work. Then I began vomiting. I had to urinate so bad but couldn't. Soon my son showed up and said he was taking me to the emergency room. My wife headed directly there. Once admitted, I was diagnosed with a kidney stone. A morphine drip did nothing to ease the pain, then Dilaudid was administered and still no relief. Then anther opioide I can't remember the name of and finally the pain subsided.Such pain I have never felt, and I'm sure the loud groaning was bothering other paitients but I couldn't help it. For a while I was biting on my wallet like the guys who bit on a stick in the westerns when having a bullet dug out of their chest lol. I had a Cat scan which confirmed the stone (plus some more in the kidney I guess which could come out or stay there forever I guess). Some drugs were given for the nausea because I kept vomiting, and a drug to help with the flow of a blocked urethra. Also something to relive the dehydration I was now experiencing. A catheter was inserted and relieved some of the bladder pressure but not much. Finally at about 11 pm, some 8 hours after this episode began, I was able to urinate and then felt instantly better. No bladder pain, no kidney pain, I felt fine. By 11:15 I was dismissed and came home to a good nights rest. Other than sleeping about 12 hours today, has been normal, and I even got in a great ride.

Lesson of the story, if you feel pain, nausea and faint and are sweating badly, DO NOT climb on a motorcycle.
 
What a story! Hope you are OK and stay that way. Do what ss2wheels said.
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys. Diet is certainly part of it, but heredity is another part. My dad had kidney stones, my son has had 2 bouts of kidney stones. Thought i was going to skate by but apparently not.

I know ther are now 3 things I have gone thru I would not wish on my worst enemy.. a case of gout, your back going out, and kidney stones. Hard to believe a body can go thru so much pain with any of those things.
 
Well thankfully everything came out OK. What? Too soon? :P
 
Wow, Mickey. Sorry for the rough day. I have heard that the pain with kidney is absolutely otherworldly. Glad you're feeling better!
 
The ferret_imp said:
Thanks guys. Diet is certainly part of it, but heredity is another part. My dad had kidney stones, my son has had 2 bouts of kidney stones. Thought i was going to skate by but apparently not.

I know ther are now 3 things I have gone thru I would not wish on my worst enemy.. a case of gout, your back going out, and kidney stones. Hard to believe a body can go thru so much pain with any of those things.
So did you actually pass the stone, could you feel it leaving?

Sorry for your ordeal and yes, gout is one of the worst pains known to man!
 
Glad you're feeling better. Are you starting a new riding goal of consecutive days riding without vomiting?
 
I can sympathize ferret. I've had many bouts with kidney stones over the years. Switching to a quality water softener about 4 years ago finally cured my problem, excessive mineral content from my deep well.
 
I feel for you after having the same.

So tea drinking has to go. Sorry I was a big tea drinker until my first stone.

There are many other diet restrictions and drink plenty of water to avoid having more.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I've often heard women tell us lowly men that "nothing we experience could ever compare to the pain of childbirth".

Well, I've never had a kidney stone (or a child), but it does seem that the level of pain can go way beyond what a person would ever think was imaginable.
These things scare the heck out of me, but I am thankful for modern medical capabilities. Apparently these things can be pulverized by sonic energy of some sort.
I'm still hoping I get through life without such an experience.

Anyway, I'm glad you made it home safe Ferret, and finally gave it the attention it deserved. That sounded like a recipe for disaster.
 
Glad to hear you're feeling better, Mickey.

Your post took me back to the early 80s when, as a young computer operator, I witnessed our senior programmer suddenly collapse from a kidney stone in a deserted computer room at 3 AM. I'd never seen anyone in that much pain before. Ended up having to call 911 for an ambulance because the guy was in so much pain, he couldn't even tell me what was wrong. Scary stuff.

Since then I've always feared the dreaded kidney stones. Drinking lots of water is supposed to be a preventative measure, and that's one thing I don't tend to do enough. Stones are a quick way to lose a pilot medical certification, so it's one of those things I hope and pray I never have to experience.

Hope you're back on the road soon.
 
Wow... Micky, awful story. I'm glad you're ok now. Did the stone come out? I had a bout with an enlarged prostrate in 2015 that I had ignored for too long. No kidney stones, but when you have to go... and CAN'T... talk about painful and scary all at the same time. Finally, 2 TURP's later (2 months apart) along with some good 'legal' drugs and all is back to normal. I've never had to deal with stones though... good luck with that!! Stay well.
 
How awful. There's no reason to question your decision to ride home. You made it and that's all that matters. Next time you might act differently, but only you can be the best judge of that. We are all very glad you arrived home safely and that you sought immediate medical attention. I've not been through that myself but think I can commiserate. I had an extreme case of sudden abdominal pain one day at work and, like you, ignored it but then became nauseous and on the verge of collapse, though I was bent over in pain. I stumbled in the Urgent Care across the street and requested to be seen immediately. After about twenty minutes they concluded I had a bad case of gas, and with a lot of massaging, were finally able to work things free. It was awful and probably the worst pain I've ever felt. Getting old really stinks!
 
I have had kidney stones for the last 10 + years. I have had them removed with a laser and sonically. I can now tell when they are getting ready to come. When it happens I drink lots of water and lemonade. Dehidration is the worst thing when they are trying to come out. I past one that was almost the size of Lincolns head on a penny. Most of her time they are pretty small. Good luck with them.
 
Back
Top