Rough ride and night last night.

Thread starter
Rockhop... I discovered that when doing some research this morning on whether of not I could drink decafinated tea. Saw the studies that suggested coffee, tea, wine beer might actually reduce the risk of stone formation, however it seemed to indicate 3 cups a day interspersed with water and lemonade is a good plan. At any rate like anything else there certainly isn't 100% agreement on the subject of what is good for your organs and what is not good... ( kinda like a medical oil thread lol)

I think I will try and set up a routine of a morning cup of tea, then water and lemonade, then a 3 pm ish cup of tea then water, then lemonade with dinner then water and a cup of tea before bed. I know after a half a century of drinking tea I could not stop cold turkey... I LOVE a good cup of hot tea. The difference for me will be, before ALL I drank was hot tea, all day every day..no water..no lemonade.. 1/2 can of pop occassionally. At least now I will be getting the major portion of my liquid intake from clear water.
 
Just be careful with the lemonade if your blood sugar is also a consideration. I mention this because a lot of us here are... ahem, a bit older...
My sugar was raised by long tern steroid use. (medicinal, not body building, LOL) I do just a splash of lemonade in 20 oz of water.
 
Hi Ferret. Good luck with all of this, I do hope you keep on top of it all. A bit of a nightmare, I can't imagine not drinking at least 2 cups of tea every day !! :(
 
Saw this on the news this morning. Apparently, our fearless moderator volunteered to be part of a medical study on the effectiveness of various medical devices on preventing kidney stones. (Grow the beard back, Mickey)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
:dodgy: :rofl:

I told my wife last night, I finally felt "normal" since the stone incident. Hope to move on with life now and not worry about a recurrence too much.

Already had my morning tea, and a glass of water. Probably more water before lunch and lemonade wth lunch. My new life..sigh! :(
 
Based on the median age of this group and the number of recent medical posts, I suggest a new Discussion Topic, possibly titled " A Lament of Your Ailment". I also suggest a sub-topic in the "Eat to Ride Thread". Where people can post their favorite antacid, anti-gas, and anti-diarrhea brands. We could title that one "Reflections on Refluxions"
 
Last night I spent 15 minutes stretching my back before going to bed. Felt like I had been run over by a tank. Upper back. My whole spine was on fire. Too much gym the evening before I reckon. Light weights too. But that can do it too.
 
Thread starter
We laugh (commiserate) but in truth, most of the guys I know that have given up riding in later stages of life (mostly in their late sixties) , it's because of medical issues/doctors suggestions. Another one just the other day. Old winger with 124,000 miles on his latest wing, so he's a rider, but after a couple of heart attacks his doctor suggested he not ride anymore.

Guys like Rocky, riding into his 80's are an anomoly. If one manages to avoid the pitfalls of age, have good heredity, and remain healthy they can enjoy life/ride for a good long time. I've said many times guys still riding into their 70's are my heroes and I hope to be like them. Guys in their 80's still riding. Beyond heroes. So much admiration.
 
The ferret_imp said:
We laugh (commiserate) but in truth, most of the guys I know that have given up riding in later stages of life (mostly in their late sixties) , it's because of medical issues/doctors suggestions. Another one just the other day. Old winger with 124,000 miles on his latest wing, so he's a rider, but after a couple of heart attacks his doctor suggested he not ride anymore.

Guys like Rocky, riding into his 80's are an anomoly. If one manages to avoid the pitfalls of age, have good heredity, and remain healthy they can enjoy life/ride for a good long time. I've said many times guys still riding into their 70's are my heroes and I hope to be like them. Guys in their 80's still riding. Beyond heroes. So much admiration.
I will bet you that if you surveyed riders who are in their 70s/80s, a large majority of them have been doing some sort of regular fitness and diet routines for many years. I have just re-engaged myself in these routines with the specific goals of riding longer...both in distance and in chronology
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Saw this on the news this morning. Apparently, our fearless moderator volunteered to be part of a medical study on the effectiveness of various medical devices on preventing kidney stones. (Grow the beard back, Mickey)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Muahahahaha

In any case, good luck with this ferret! Just glad you didn't go down!
 
EmptySea_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
We laugh (commiserate) but in truth, most of the guys I know that have given up riding in later stages of life (mostly in their late sixties) , it's because of medical issues/doctors suggestions. Another one just the other day. Old winger with 124,000 miles on his latest wing, so he's a rider, but after a couple of heart attacks his doctor suggested he not ride anymore.

Guys like Rocky, riding into his 80's are an anomoly. If one manages to avoid the pitfalls of age, have good heredity, and remain healthy they can enjoy life/ride for a good long time. I've said many times guys still riding into their 70's are my heroes and I hope to be like them. Guys in their 80's still riding. Beyond heroes. So much admiration.
I will bet you that if you surveyed riders who are in their 70s/80s, a large majority of them have been doing some sort of regular fitness and diet routines for many years. I have just re-engaged myself in these routines with the specific goals of riding longer...both in distance and in chronology
I will bet you that if you surveyed riders who are in their 70s/80s, a large majority of them have been doing some sort of regular fitness and diet routines for many years. I have just re-engaged myself in these routines with the specific goals of riding longer...both in distance and in chronology
I don't want to come off sounding like a gloating, puritan, know-it-all, but EmptySea is on the right track about diet and fitness - and keeping your weight down.
Not only have I been blessed with great genes (my mother will soon be 98), but for nearly 30 years I've followed a heart-healthy diet. I don't drink and have never smoked, but my guilty pleasure is fish and chips once in a while in the summer when I'm out on the bikes :P
Around 1990 or so information began to come out about what was in our food; fat, sugar, salt, preservatives, etc. - especially in the fast food industry. Although I rarely ate that stuff anyway, this was quite shocking and I made many immediate changes in my shopping and eating habits to help my heart have an easy life. Before that you didn't know what you didn't know. Today, I have a strong heart, a strong physique, and only slightly elevated blood pressure.
I usually sleep seven hours a night and jump out of bed every day with no aches, pains, moans or groans.
None of my organs have failed, but I've had two surgery's - (tonsils at age 6) and a shoulder injury due to a bike crash in 2008 - when I was a kid of 70 :D.
I'm truly blessed, but I don't take it for granted. I'm also doing my part to stay fit by walking a lot and staying active. You can only do what you can do and hope for the best.
End of sermon :D :D :D
 
Just caught up with this, Mikey. Hope you're feeling better and that never again you have to give birth to one of those.

Bacon cheese burger (extra raw onions) and a beer: the cure for all ailments.
:beerchug: Salud! :beerchug:

Edited to add: No mustard on your burger. Mustard belongs in hot dogs.
 
So true, Rocky. How many times have you heard riders lament that they need to go to a lighter bike, a maxi scooter, or a trike because they say they're 'getting old'? Some of them you and I wouldn't consider all that 'old' anyway.

After hearing that, I always wonder what kind of physical shape they allowed themselves to get in? I'm well aware that genetics play a big role too, but as you noted, there are things we can do to help ourselves fend off the inevitable, like get off that couch in between rides and say no to that corndog!
 
My long term motorcycle riding plan was to learn to ride a sidecar rig. So far it is succeeding. Three wheels never looked so cool!
 
Back
Top