Road Comet question...

Rebel73_imp

Been there
Thread starter
For the guys who have a Road Comet screen, did the inside come unpainted? Mine arrived today with the inside painted the same red as the exterior. I seem to recall a post saying it comes unpainted?
 
Yes, I remember :) participating in a thread about painting the inside of a cowl. I asked if they had any tips about taping the edges. The inside of mine is painted, but I think the discussion may have been about blacking out the area as the pinkish/red wasn't all that attractive.
 
It was about blacking out the inside. Mine is like Rboe's. Silver inside and out. I decided I like it and never painted the inside.
 
81bcc743338fc68dc865c13080781cea.jpg
 
Thread starter
The fiberglass itself is red? Hmm. Well, in any case, I'm leaning towards painting it flat black to give it a more finished look. I do think it looks a bit unfinished as is.
 
Rob, mine came the same way yours did. I ended up painting the inside with a brush using flat black enamel paint I picked up at Home Depot and it came out great. You don't even have to tape for overspray.
 
Thread starter
Ron in MO_imp said:
Rob, mine came the same way yours did. I ended up painting the inside with a brush using flat black enamel paint I picked up at Home Depot and it came out great. You don't even have to tape for overspray.
That's a good idea, Ron. Taping is a PITA!
 
...to be honest, you can't see a whole lot of the inside when it's mounted, from a seated position.
I never even thought of the inside finish until I read this!
 
The unfinished, raw looking inside of my RC drove me absolutely crazy and I felt that is was unacceptable on a $500 bikini fairing. Since the inside is a rough fiberglass finish, I used flat black paint with a textured finish. I am very please with the results. Like any painting job, prep is critical. Invest the time to very carefully mask off the red edges with green frog tape.

Here's how mine turned out (The GPS has since been moved a little down and to the left as it was blocking the instruments and taking the key in and out of the ignition was a PITA with the GPS in the way)





Frog Tape:


I used this textured finish paint, but in black:


Good luck!
Eddy
 
Back
Top