Riding the Brake Lever

My first bike was a used '71 Honda CB 350 and the brake pedal on it was level with the foot peg. There was no way to sit normally on it without accidentally applying the rear brake, so I got into the habit of turning my foot out slightly to avoid hitting the pedal, and I've done that ever since if the pedal is in the way. :cool:
 
yep, I ride with mine "splayed" to avoid the levers too.
 
I saw that WD...are you going to be able to even hit the rear brake pedal if you need it? That looks way high.
 
The ferret_imp said:
yep, I ride with mine "splayed" to avoid the levers too.
Not be be curmudgeonly, or worse yet, sanctimonious, but "splay" at your own peril!

Twice in the last five years, I have dropped a dirt bike in loose track on to its right-side and landed badly because of my "slightly splayed" boot. Slightly, as in maybe 15 degrees. In each case, as the bike fell slowly to the side (with me underneath)the splayed boot caused my foot to twist around with my torso facing forward and my foot point behind the bike. I was unable to move, in excruciating pain, and in excruciating pain. Serious pain! I couldn't do anything about it until someone lifted the bike off of me.

Lesson #1 NEVER SPLAY!! It is not taught anywhere that I know. It is not a "technique that MSF endorses, as far as I know. My remedy was to spend the time, effort and small amount of money to make my size 12s fit the bike better. The brake pedal has either been adjusted properly, or modified properly to make it work for me. I can now ride with my foot hovering just above the brake pedal in a very natural position. I have asked quite a trailing riders if my brake light comes on unexpectedly. They tell me it doesn't.

Of course, this probably doesn't mean anything to another person. Before you judge me, ride a mile in my shoes!
 
Riding on the street 50 years next month (way before MSF started endorsing anything), raced motocross for 10 years (was pretty good too.. but I still fell once in awhile and never landed with my foot facing one way and my torso the other). I think you just had some really bad luck. Appreciate your concern, but I think I'm ok.

 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I saw that WD...are you going to be able to even hit the rear brake pedal if you need it? That looks way high.

Ferret. It probably is but I can reach the pedal. If I need to, I can remove one of the rubber blocks or (gasp!) raise the brake lever. Block removal may be problematic as I used Gorilla glue which is quite strong. But I can remove the whole thing and use a fresh block of rubber. The next single block would be the same height but more narrow, like the width of of the stock peg cover.

BTW. I ordered a NC Street Shield EX last night. Can't wait to receive it. :banana:
 
Ferret wrote;

. I think you just had some really bad luck. Appreciate your concern, but I think I'm ok.

Good.

The difference between bad luck and good luck on a motorcycle is very expensive. I do everything I can to eliminate as a variable. It's never enough. :)
 
Olyrider_imp said:
Ferret wrote;

. I think you just had some really bad luck. Appreciate your concern, but I think I'm ok.

Good.

The difference between bad luck and good luck on a motorcycle is very expensive. I do everything I can to eliminate as a variable. It's never enough. :)
I understand. Probably a good plan.
 
This thread could be bad for motorcycle sales all over the world.

If people start figuring out that you can get away with riding the brake pedal there's no way that they are going to fork over the money for the whole motorcycle. Just think of the ease of parking and how little storage space is needed. I could have a fleet of thousands in my garage. No telling which one I'll take for a spin tomorrow. :P
 
On my ride Saturday I was thinking about the brake lever too. I ride splayed, so I find the lever to stick out way to far. I was considering cutting the end of the brake peg off, or going aftermarket. I thought I was the only one!
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
This thread could be bad for motorcycle sales all over the world.

If people start figuring out that you can get away with riding the brake pedal there's no way that they are going to fork over the money for the whole motorcycle. Just think of the ease of parking and how little storage space is needed. I could have a fleet of thousands in my garage. No telling which one I'll take for a spin tomorrow. :P
Now this is downright hilarious! What a witty mind!
 
When I was riding the Dragon, I noticed that if I added a little back brake when entering the turns, it tended to settle the back end down.

Of course that meant constantly "covering" the back brake while leaning forward in a little more aggressive riding position.

I found this to be uncomfortable and wondered about moving the brake pedal down.

Popgun could you message or e-mail me those instructions or link to do that, it would be greatly appreciated!
 
HikerToo_imp said:
nobody mentioned foot position in this thread...I've heard others say, and being from a sport bike background, I usually keep my toes or balls of feet on the foot pegs, so my toes do not get near the brake lever.....how are you guys sitting, where is your foot placed on the peg, on the arch??
That was my thought, exactly. From years of sportbikes, only the balls of my feet are on my pegs, so I couldn't imagine dragging the rear brake pedal.
Funny how riding styles vary so much!
 
Offroad,

PM me your email address and I'll shoot you the page from the manual.
 
WD, I'll offer up a Plan B; replace the spring holding the brake pedal with a much more massive one. This may take a couple tries to get right. A strong enough spring will hold up your foot without applying brake pressure. Once you decide there is a need for rear brake you would have to really push!

The down side; it will take some practice to learn how to apply just a moderate amount to brake pressure. :)
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
WD, I'll offer up a Plan B; replace the spring holding the brake pedal with a much more massive one. This may take a couple tries to get right. A strong enough spring will hold up your foot without applying brake pressure. Once you decide there is a need for rear brake you would have to really push!

The down side; it will take some practice to learn how to apply just a moderate amount to brake pressure. :)
Thanks, that sounds like a better plan than the Rube Goldberg pedal mod I have done but not yet tried. Too much rain to ride!
 
Popgun, thanks for the quote.
 
Back
Top