Ride across the USA

Stichill_imp said:
Epic! :beerchug:
Bazbro_imp said:
Is it nearly over? So soon? :(

I've really enjoyed this 'ride'. :)
+1 to both.

Django, I hope you enjoyed yourself. I've certainly enjoyed riding with you from time to time.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gotta like Django's shirt.
That's an Inhouse Bob original! We have them for our trivia team (we play with long-time friends at a local pizza joint every Thursday) and Django joined us last evening, so he got a shirt. He contributed mightily but, alas, we were fourth in the end. But the pizza was tolerable and the beer was cold, so it was a successful evening.
This morning he is off to explore our Nation's Capitol while I print t-shirts. Tonight we may go to Applebee's for pancakes. I think maybe it's a Germanic thing. All our German visitors request the most interesting assortment of American junk food. They are a very odd people :P
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gotta like Django's shirt.
That's an Inhouse Bob original! We have them for our trivia team (we play with long-time friends at a local pizza joint every Thursday) and Django joined us last evening, so he got a shirt. He contributed mightily but, alas, we were fourth in the end. But the pizza was tolerable and the beer was cold, so it was a successful evening.
This morning he is off to explore our Nation's Capitol while I print t-shirts. Tonight we may go to Applebee's for pancakes. I think maybe it's a Germanic thing. All our German visitors request the most interesting assortment of American junk food. They are a very odd people :P
When we went to Europe on an Edelweiss motorcycle tour I ate Wienersnitzel and pom fritas for 9 straight days. Whenever I had to buy a meal. I like motorcycle adventure, but not eating adventure lol :D
 
Tell me more about those porn fritas
 
Having Afghan food for Django’s last evening in Virginia.
88a9a1458c06036a31da5f47bcbbcf7c.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
what is Afgan food like? I'm sure I would never try it but just curious.
 
Afghan food is indeed nice, a good deal of meat and veges, Goldoxide is right, think kebab style, i had the pleasure to be in Kabul for three weeks and managed to fly back to Holland just before the runway was snowed in.
This was before the Russians got in on the act, we installed radio equipment in the airport and it was a truly amazing place then, obvious very oriental and you could buy anything there considering it is so isolated, you would fly over the country and all there was were endless brown rocky mountains like a desert ( which it is ).
Very high altitude and dry as Kabul is located in an ancient volcano crater, at night the guards outside the houses would call each other to make sure they have not frozen in their sleep.
One day someone arrived on a donkey with a piece of railway iron and some galvanized sheet metal strips, by lunchtime and some hammering we had 10 lengths of spouting which looked like it had been machine formed, very impressive place was Afghanistan then.

Thanks for all the photo's Django we all enjoyed this unique saga!:thumbsup:
 
Well, we ended up not having Afghan food last evening because the waiter was too busy to serve us. So we went to a sports bar and had steak and beer:beerchug:
The today I rode out with Django to Annapolis and over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. such a view! Then we shared seafood and parted ways. He to Elisabeth, NJ to ship his bike home and I to a long nap on the couch. Riding is hard work!
It was a great couple of days with Rudiger. We should all go visit him soon! :banana:
I'll post a final photo in a minute...
 
Awesome Bob. Glad you and Django were able to spend some time together. Wish I had been able to ride some with him.

Now steak is something I eat .... and (root) beer.
 
Here are after a great meal at Hemingway’s on the bay. It was a beautiful day to watch the boats.
5d22f8f487aabfb31f7b1fcabdf52f34.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
max_imp said:
Afghan food is indeed nice, a good deal of meat and veges, Goldoxide is right, think kebab style, i had the pleasure to be in Kabul for three weeks and managed to fly back to Holland just before the runway was snowed in.
This was before the Russians got in on the act, we installed radio equipment in the airport and it was a truly amazing place then, obvious very oriental and you could buy anything there considering it is so isolated, you would fly over the country and all there was were endless brown rocky mountains like a desert ( which it is ).
Very high altitude and dry as Kabul is located in an ancient volcano crater, at night the guards outside the houses would call each other to make sure they have not frozen in their sleep.
One day someone arrived on a donkey with a piece of railway iron and some galvanized sheet metal strips, by lunchtime and some hammering we had 10 lengths of spouting which looked like it had been machine formed, very impressive place was Afghanistan then.

Thanks for all the photo's Django we all enjoyed this unique saga!:thumbsup:
You've had many interesting experiences, thanks for sharing!
GoldOxide_imp said:
Great job folks who helped oversee his comfort and safety.
Ditto!
suhawk305_imp said:
What a good epilogue of Django’s US experience.
It has ben a good read!
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Here are after a great meal at Hemingway’s on the bay. It was a beautiful day to watch the boats.
c5541ece401a631b60493dfca9284b5a.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like great weather that day
The ferret_imp said:
Awesome Bob. Glad you and Django were able to spend some time together. Wish I had been able to ride some with him.

Now steak is something I eat .... and (root) beer.
Amen
 
Thread starter
Thursday morning I got ready to follow my way east to meet Inhouse Bob,
c6361ff97debf853eaede3ff6aa678e4.jpg


here I'm following a pilot car.
0071778c365c00dfe727bc0743c71c37.jpg


Had some nice curves across some mountains of the Appalachian, but the more east, the more civilized the world became again.
bce6bd858ac59a0336a5999225b04f7f.jpg


Finally I met Inhouse Bob at the Luray Cavernes
4188fc308f151ecf8ced41133859bf73.jpg


and followed him farther east, direction Washington DC.
f83bcf3b147b7646449d1e6ed3cbd0ee.jpg


After a short while riding with Bob, we were in hefty rain. When we were already completely wet, Bob stopped to get his rain gear out and the rain stopped, too. :P

As riding makes hungry Bob lead us to a nice cafe where I had this delicious salat.
e6dd514c31d5800d56a4f2d81cecc802.jpg


In the evening I joined Bob and his trivia team, the Amigos. At least I could help out with one answer.

Friday I went to Washington downtown to do some sightseeing. Bob and Tracey helped me really a lot to get me running, taxied me and gave me many information to find my way along the monuments and the museums, I'd be interested in.

Here are few impressions of a really long sightseeing day:

744f4dc088970d37446529a0fca13f02.jpg


afbf9836dbf097fd2dbd360cb20950f9.jpg


47135c86285051169d3f6616a9a46acf.jpg


aa1255ef79a40a50fc2833b12280e9c4.jpg


ea9c4a7fa7c5e7e99bff0caeeac2d9f2.jpg


2021cb02faffecc248547a309de25592.jpg


77cac5d7fb5f6070ba5ae11851f99931.jpg

519ddad04c4011f8e8ac8471455268a2.jpg


In the evening we tried to eat Afghan but than went to American, as Bob already mentioned.
Back at Bob's home Bob helped me a lot to organize my trip for the next day, booking an Airbnb room in Elizabeth, booking a ferry ticket and planning the route. The idea was, to go up the coast line to Elizabeth/NJ.

Yesterday (Saturday) Rob lead me around Washington to get to the coast.
463b0a1b8a55180d30953665281e2599.jpg


We had some traffic jam, as many seemed to have the idea going to the coast for the weekend. Finally we were at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge
650f5513d31bed14310742f0b626096a.jpg


were we had some lunch at Hemingway's with that view:
3acd8eac9cd7fb2b730408b518b6409c.jpg


While riding over the bridge, an eagle joined us carrying a big stick. I tried to make a picture:
63eccca1ff6918178e2567d760fbda0b.jpg

I guess, it builds a nest somewhere under the bridge.


At Hemingway's we departed and I hurried up to catch the ferry. Made my way thru Maryland and Delaware. Looks very Victorian here.
f613738a184a0466d03510d9135af84c.jpg


Finally I was on the ferry
6a3c90e9480f9204bee86a9fd15204f8.jpg


and had a nice trip over the Delaware Bay from Lewes
c7c24b4a7634c7c5f67fb81ee1bb92cc.jpg


to Cape May.
0eb13a28cb98feb54c4238c077e00664.jpg


I followed the Garden State Parkway north and had a pleasant late afternoon right with coast life impressions. However coming more to the New York City area, traffic became a little crowded.
11901da03d761e74e2062556ba1c4b3e.jpg


A few minutes after sunset I arrived at my room in Elizabeth and had a beer in the evening, tried Coors light this time, is quite ok.

Today I use the time to catch up my report :D and will now scout my way for tomorrow. In the morning I drop off my bike at the carrier and then I want take the train to get to JFK airport. It feels so unreal to me that the adventure is already nearly over. But man, what a trip!

Thank you a lot for supporting me in this forum and especially in real life! That was a really great experience of hospitality, unbelievable! And without the very valuable information and hints I got in this forum, that trip wouldn't have been half that good. Riding is not enough, you should also now, where to stop and look. And there the forum helped me a big deal.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Hope I see some of you guys sometime in Europe. So far I see you all in this forum.

Cheers,
Rudiger aka Django
 
Back
Top