Ride across the USA

Thank you, Django. I’m enjoying your journey from afar.
 
Looking good, Django! I've been offline for the last 12 days and now I'm all caught up. Looks like you are having a great time in the East. It's tempting me to take the long ride across the plains and ride it myself.

I was camped in Montana with two of your countrymen (from München) last week. They were on their way to explore Alaska in a 62 year old Cessna that had seen better days. When I told them about your trip, they thought you were crazy. I told them you'd probably say the same about them. :D :D

Keep the pics and reports coming!
 
Inhousebob is back in the house and all caught up on the big adventure. It looks like you have seen it all and had great weather most of the way. That's kind of rare!
If your track brings you this way, please plan on spending a night with my family. We aren't as orderly as Houtman (not even half as orderly as his garage) but we have a bed and hot water, so what more could you need? :celebrate:
I will send a private message with details in case you can make it.
Be safe and have fun!
 
I’ll speak for you, Bob.
 
Thread starter
Planing gets more difficult, as I run out of real destination. So I go for good road hunting. West Virginia seems to have quite a lot of good roads, as I discovered yesterday on a little loop north of Tazewell.

This area is great for riding. Some roads have name like the snake or Back of the Dragon, others are as good as well but don't have names. All have only few traffic, I enjoy wandering thru the corners, enjoying the landscape and get an impression of country side USA.

While in Virginia there is sweet farmland between the mountains, West Virginia yesterday depressed me a little. In the steep valleys there is abandoned mining industry and also many abandoned homes. The other homes looked not like in very good shape. Seems to be a poor region, as far as my very small impression goes.

Bob, I plan to follow highway 16 up north a bit. looks like great roads in that area. I would be very glad to visit you. So then heading east would lead me to your home, may be middle or end of the week. From there I would head to Elizabeth/NJ, where I have to be next Sunday. Monday morning, July 15, I have to drop off my bike at the carrier.

Yes, really, today starts the last week of my trip.
My track:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1...804845&z=8

Spotwalla Tracker:
[url=https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1yUVNuRsgkiYc58a5-RcWWJSI6WQmmJqU&ll=35.47256001549215%2C-93.92836838804845&z=8]https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1...804845&z=8

Pictures:
[url=http://www.1a-software.de/~rsz/bilder/190603_usa/]http://www.1a-software.de/~rsz/bilder/190603_usa/
 
West Virginia has had a tough row to hoe for some time. But the people are strong, proud and as friendly as you will find. The Tazwell area is great for riding and Tail of the Dragon is a fun road for sure. A small town you might check out is Bramwell, WV. It is northwest of Tazwell, so it's on your way. It was where a lot of the mine owners lived back when coal was king. Also just really lovely place.
Just keep in touch and we will hope to see you later in the week!
 
Django, just north of you you will find Snowshoe/Seneca Rocks/ Hawks Nest/ New Gauley Bridge and the surrounding roads 33, 219, 20, 39, 150 (Highland Scenic Byway) all excellent places to ride and very scenic
 
Django , I hope that you have time to visit Inhousebob , he and his wife and daughter are some of the nicest people you will meet in America .
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Django, just north of you you will find Snowshoe/Seneca Rocks/ Hawks Nest/ New Gauley Bridge and the surrounding roads 33, 219, 20, 39, 150 (Highland Scenic Byway) all excellent places to ride and very scenic
Thanks a lot for that input!
Here at the New River Gorge/WV, In the pub where I'm having a beer right now, a live band plays: Take Me Home, Country Roads.

Love it!
Wild life is quite tame near the campgrounds. Here is a deer in the bushes just right to my camping lot...
bd3f316518deda402cf60cf953df3280.jpg


and a bird looking for some left overs.
44ecf379d051bd3af45d70b22dd09fa5.jpg


This is how a day on the motorcycle should start.
dd03233737baa4ff3c83ea8640389738.jpg


Looking down from hill helps me to get my thoughts clear.
d6db8e453931b057a48e5d752de9fe6f.jpg


They do a lot here for motorcycle tourism. I did many of those roads.
5f661242e7d4560b1f69d881e7883947.jpg


Today some smaller roads in WV.
d9507b5d89a782296d0d0fb611fdb2bc.jpg


Some rest at a river place.
64e1ba43bc357a229eb00066c9a18abd.jpg


Did I mention, that I love WV roads?
e12ab86249851b61f8be1ce213759356.jpg


I wonder what that is.
0e751d253a8cdd70caed548b99500917.jpg


Found a nice camping spot at the New River Gorge.
10e9c46e82af37560cbc920b90d0a447.jpg
 
Wow, I love the Shenandoah Valley region and the Blue Ridge Highlands region of Virginia! God's country. Did you have a chance to see Big Walker Lookout or go into the Shangri-La of Burke's Garden? I think I saw that you found 16 "Back of the Dragon" between Marion and Tazewell.
 
Django_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Django, just north of you you will find Snowshoe/Seneca Rocks/ Hawks Nest/ New Gauley Bridge and the surrounding roads 33, 219, 20, 39, 150 (Highland Scenic Byway) all excellent places to ride and very scenic
Thanks a lot for that input!
Here at the New River Gorge/WV, In the pub where I'm having a beer right now, a live band plays: Take Me Home, Country Roads.

Love it!
Wild life is quite tame near the campgrounds. Here is a deer in the bushes just right to my camping lot...
bd3f316518deda402cf60cf953df3280.jpg


and a bird looking for some left overs.
44ecf379d051bd3af45d70b22dd09fa5.jpg


This is how a day on the motorcycle should start.
dd03233737baa4ff3c83ea8640389738.jpg


Looking down from hill helps me to get my thoughts clear.
d6db8e453931b057a48e5d752de9fe6f.jpg


They do a lot here for motorcycle tourism. I did many of those roads.
5f661242e7d4560b1f69d881e7883947.jpg


Today some smaller roads in WV.
d9507b5d89a782296d0d0fb611fdb2bc.jpg


Some rest at a river place.
64e1ba43bc357a229eb00066c9a18abd.jpg


Did I mention, that I love WV roads?
e12ab86249851b61f8be1ce213759356.jpg


I wonder what that is.
0e751d253a8cdd70caed548b99500917.jpg


Found a nice camping spot at the New River Gorge.
10e9c46e82af37560cbc920b90d0a447.jpg
Looks like a place of sacrifice. :)

Did you leave an offering?
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Where was it? I think I’ve seen it. It might be a spring house.
You mean like "spring water" house?
You mean like "spring water" house?
Yes. Natural spring water. These sites were traditionally revered and protected. In cases where the water has mineral or heating properties, it was popular to visit them for their healing effects. I’m betting it was a hot spring. That structure looks like it might have been built as a spa, to protect bathers from the sun or inclement weather. It probably dried up and so the structure was abandoned by the owner/operator.
 
Back
Top