Ride across the USA

Thread starter
I'll try to lookup the position of that building.

This morning I had a guest at my tent.
f25cf524bf1b653f6e636116a14ac575.jpg


Here some more pictures of today.

30819fbbe42adcf315df0c2ae5ab0e92.jpg


55ca5270ebcbb3d6ab0e4de9fff45e97.jpg


952b7ccc635f9d2712da81c5e3821a22.jpg


81807b9c6654c8a7dff561fe132479b0.jpg


8b5998189ba2a77efe4b05141b2db8a6.jpg


b96dcfeb95482470492d2a809e88dbf5.jpg
 
That bug is called a cicada. Perfectly harmless. They hibernate in the soil for years and then dig out and climb up whatever is handy and shed their outer shell. What is left looks like a bug but is a hollow shell. I think that's what you have there.
 
The cicadas in the Mediterranean area of Europe (South of France, etc) make a heckava din, a scritchy-scratchy sound. Do these American ones do the same?
 
The Australian ones sure do.
 
When you get enough of them going at once they do! We are scheduled for our next 17-year cicada uprising in 2021.
 
Django, such an awesome trip report and so great to follow your travels! ride safe and enjoy! :biker::biker:
 
Thread starter
Stichill_imp said:
Wow, I love the Shenandoah Valley region and the Blue Ridge Highlands region of Virginia! God's country. Did you have a chance to see Big Walker Lookout or go into the Shangri-La of Burke's Garden? I think I saw that you found 16 "Back of the Dragon" between Marion and Tazewell.
I stopped Big Walker Lookout for a coffee and the view. That photo with the mountain panorama was taken there. Back of the Dragon was a great ride over those 3 hills. I also did part of the Claw of the Dragon and what not else. That's a great riding area there. They have a nice map with a collection of loops in that area (I posted a picture). I got it at the Big Walker Lookout, unfortunately after I have done most of them and at the day I was leaving. Well, at least it gave me confidence, that I didn't miss much.
 
Thread starter
Got up to a sunny morning with blue sky. However, in the afternoon there will be chance of thunderstorm again.
a4b76529a2004b8ae33aee14f20e632d.jpg


Did a very nice loop in the area west and south of Seneca Rock. In Canaan valley I finally found a coffee shop,
ae6e1c2b4fbb2c8f66f0c57b52bc1c75.jpg


with real coffee
a0a42d89aa1916d757ed001123b9c70d.jpg


from a real coffee machine.
457058ce5085f0a646143cbcf1d3e562.jpg


I continued my ride in this beautiful area
565654186806c3da6bea45880c22f403.jpg


and met another ride.
2f76afbc2f014f14de2565aaeb4f767f.jpg


I didn't know, that the valley of Seneca Rock is called Germany valley. A lot of history around here...
e36de1166f12e21f1fad508ab80eae26.jpg


See my track:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1...536805&z=8

Tomorrow I meet Inhouse Bob. Really looking forward!
 
Django_imp said:
Got up to a sunny morning with blue sky. However, in the afternoon there will be chance of thunderstorm again.
a4b76529a2004b8ae33aee14f20e632d.jpg


Did a very nice loop in the area west and south of Seneca Rock. In Canaan valley I finally found a coffee shop,
ae6e1c2b4fbb2c8f66f0c57b52bc1c75.jpg


with real coffee
a0a42d89aa1916d757ed001123b9c70d.jpg


from a real coffee machine.
457058ce5085f0a646143cbcf1d3e562.jpg


I continued my ride in this beautiful area
565654186806c3da6bea45880c22f403.jpg


and met another ride.
2f76afbc2f014f14de2565aaeb4f767f.jpg


I didn't know, that the valley of Seneca Rock is called Germany valley. A lot of history around here...
e36de1166f12e21f1fad508ab80eae26.jpg


See my track:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1...536805&z=8

Tomorrow I meet Inhouse Bob. Really looking forward!

Haha! I'm happy to see that you finally found a decent cup.

I was feeling bad for Django when he was here in the west. The typical restaurant and convenience store coffee was driving him crazy. I explained that to get a really good cup of coffee in the U.S., you have to go to an actual coffee shop. :D

Django, I think your pictures have convinced me to go east on my CB. It looks like there are some amazing roads and interesting things to see. Maybe I'll plan a trip to the eastern rally next year.

Keep the pics coming!
 
I'm personally aware of a Starbucks at Snowshoe Mountain ski resort, very close to your current location, if you consider that to be "real coffee." At least they can make you an expresso.
 
Glad you made it up that way Django. Great area to ride. I've ridden the roads in that area for years and I'm not sure you can find better riding anywhere.

This years CB rally in September will be in that area as well, so I guess I will get to ride them again.
Stichill_imp said:

Stichill, its so close. You need to ride down there with the Weasels. I can recommend some great routes.
 
Django, don’t lead Inhouse Bob astray, please. :)
 
2be03ca554dc9d453a772ee858914aea.jpg

Django has arrived in Springfield, Va, just ahead of the storms. He helped our trivia team and is going sight seeing tomorrow before heading off to lovely Elizebeth town, NJ where he will ship off to home.
Meanwhile, we had a good ride in the countryside today.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top