Ride across the USA

Looks like Django is at the top of Mt. Mitchell this morning. I hope the weather is clear so he can see the awesome view.
Django, do you know yet whether you will be near the DC area and when? I will be headed to Asheville tomorrow and returning Sunday night so we will cross paths at some point. But I'd feel terrible if I missed the opportunity to see you/ride with you/put you up for the night if you like.
Meanwhile, have a great adventure!
 
Scolding myself for getting so far behind on all of this, especially since you came right through my own backyard, but I was knee deep in trip prep/planning of my own. I'm really glad to see that all is going well and I'm all caught up now, ride the hell out of those Appalachians while you're there! Such a beautiful part of this country.
 
OK guys, here's a brief ride report form today, call it a "micro rally on the Blue Ridge Parkway". I met up with Houtman and Django just before 10:00 am this morning at the Folk Art Center on the BRP in Asheville. We headed north to visit mount Mitchell, the tallest peak in the Eastern US. (Apologies, as most of the pics are on Django's camera). Stopped at a few overlooks, including this one.



Beautiful day, with great visibility, and low humidity. We visited the summit of Mt. Mitchell, then headed north, with a plan to have lunch in Little Switzerland. Here's a pic I took of where I live (see the blobs of water in the center of the pic, about 30-35 miles away).

[url=https://imgur.com/k8YkgHe]


We decided to take the "long way" to lunch, and headed down the mountains on HWY 80, then over to Rte 221, then up the mountains on 226A ("The Diamondback) to the Switzerland Inn in Little Switzerland. After a nice lunch on the outdoor patio overlooking the valley below, we said our goodbyes, though we headed off together.

[url=https://imgur.com/HYfeCnw]
[url=https://imgur.com/HYfeCnw]

My plan was to break off at HWY 80 again to go back down the mountain and back home while Houtman and Django continued on South to Asheville. That all went well until I got about halfway down the mountain, and I found the only rain squall in all of Western NC. It literally rained on me for 15-20 miles while the sun was shining most of the time. Good news: the jacket I bought from Ferret at last year's rally is really water resistant (thanks Mickey!). Bad news: my jeans, socks, leather boots, underwear, etc are not water resistant!


Anyway, great day of riding, great to meet Django, and it was really fun to share a little bit of our world with him, and to hear about his adventures on this cross USA journey! Safe riding on the rest of your trip my new friend!


Hopefully, Django will post some of the better pics we took using his camera.
 
Thread starter
Sunday morning when I started my ride from Two Wheels of Suches to Houtman, I met those beauties and had to stop for a picture.

5a753bf5fed5272d07269ec44bb5ffce.jpg


Then again had a gorgeous ride thru the hills and valleys of the south Appalachians.

0751a3291db804c6f65fa0672330b042.jpg


Finally reached the Blue Ridge Parkway.

29e0525e5dfa68dbc5fe8ec43e48c1ab.jpg


After passing the highest point of the Blue Ridge Parkway, I exited and started to surf down and up the sideways which was really fun. This is a waterfall at highway 275.

8b31aff522e6d7f8d36f3470cb58ed88.jpg


At Houtman we changed oil and got new tires. Thanks a lot to Houtman for the great hospitality! I'm really overwhelmed!

f7c478fa026cfd70fbee3c795555cd6b.jpg


Monday was a day without riding. We visited Biltmore Estate, very impressive!

21a9f547156cf2488b7b4ccd83b12848.jpg


c2126c24a20b7f4f02a9e72668ea3a46.jpg


f97df62a60d2ec09e4a40845d988be79.jpg


Today we met A-man at the Blue Ridge Parkway to ride to Mount Mitchel. Here 2 Bikes are waiting for the third, but just a few minutes.

3b56e7da12dac0c565ff9b6871e5ced2.jpg


We stopped at some outlooks

7b72528387b3f090731d88fdc8f2e82d.jpg


and made it to the highest point east of Mississippi.

cda70e1958602bbd89a25e6dd0e9e5bf.jpg


232f68a5907315f757457b31a5a645e7.jpg


Good idea of A-man, to surf the Diamond Back. That was fun. Then we had lunch at Little Switzerland, enjoying the view.

facb86b1cb25997c8b6b18b2f08702f6.jpg


At the way home a black bear crossed the road in front of us. A small one, probably not a year old. Remarkable as I've never seen a bear in the wild before.

Houtmans wife cooked us a very good dinner and now I'm planning for tomorrow, to go West to the Smoky Mountains.

For details of the route of the last days see my track so far:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1...718838&z=6
@Inhouse Bob: I head west tomorrow to visit the Smoky Mountains the next 2 days. Guess I will camp at Iron Horse for 2 nights. I will not be in the Washington DC area before weekend. I have to be in Elisabeth near New York City in the morning of July 15 to ship my bike.

@Cormanus: The tire made it for 7,384 km. It was not as dead as the last one, still street legal, but worn out enough to change. At Houtman was the perfect place to do so.
 
Thread starter
After packing my things and having a breakfast coffee at Houtman I headed west on the BRP.
It was so nice at Houtman, that I considered for a short time, to stay here the rest of my time and head directly to NYC. :rolleyes:
But then, have to see the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway...

Enjoying the view at BRP.

724c5df4c6134a095939fc57982ea257.jpg


On the main roads there was quite a traffic today. But then on the back country roads was no traffic at all.

057f2e5b9196353b02c792e017908fcc.jpg


I enjoyed a lot the ride along the Wayah road from Franklin west to highway 129. Finally I arrived at Deals Gap and did the Dragon down and back. Not bad! :cool:

29bcbe2e4e86e526e8cce8cd4edd03c4.jpg


3cb06a66a12f66aa6583382403ed711c.jpg


From there I followed 28 to the Iron Horse. The route put me along a nice lake.

942b86197a0dd768641bbf109bcbcd05.jpg


Enough space at the campground Iron Horse. Most here are Harley riders and stay in the lodge. I liked Two wheels of Suches a little more. There was more contact to other riders.

f240281c0b7ccd780b60ad3a4daddfcd.jpg


50146893cf4b60cf38ad3a68cbfef332.jpg


However, the camping lot is $ 20 and very good hot showers and facilities. Had a dinner for around $ 10, but no beer! :s

Zoom in for the bloody details of today's route: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1...718838&z=6
 
dragon tail pics the most riders have a very bad driveline.....the head has nothing to look for over the midline
even if you see that on the other track nothing comes along. you never have to do anything there in every situation

We learn the right curve line and the associated viewing technique here in ogligatorial driving school lessons.......django knows/learned this...
 
That exact same thing happened to a man I know while on the Dragon. Except he got hit and messed him up BAD!! Air lifted out and everything. He was a Master Chief in the Navy and ended up having to retire due to the injuries.

Glad you made out ok Django!!
 
Thread starter
Cruising the Appalachians. Here are some pictures from the last 2 days.

c894f377b88f02bbf6ad57826a002c03.jpg


9d02168ff4f783e359b7e930c68f7272.jpg


db5492e6bbfadf78e4f107c6a24a38fb.jpg


3c2423c435e9464a76ec6d52ab049d41.jpg


051475edca077385a40192e74f302aa6.jpg


f2f0dbc21b270c68fbc11a94a7a81dd9.jpg


6b2b53b716850a2ff66f331606494cd4.jpg


532b19d23451d74e8291619170cd3fa7.jpg


bb30126e8307438b8f6e21f7813cf55b.jpg


becf130a3668563bc5ef353e9521045a.jpg


2a81d03b6aaa1da20fc6a8fb3b898f79.jpg


04ccd75902802d3b20a14dd5ef69ebec.jpg


015122dbdcacc47bb4f678c04407ea93.jpg


f8791cf815534e12deae0b8b84759e90.jpg

a48313f752995297694d3cfc49ff5e86.jpg


9e9e5fcf16f4388457c0f6eb2f05737c.jpg


da15e17d12cef9e69ffc92001d46d623.jpg


f67d8faf68546a5d99555d407a599ee7.jpg


9613b0bc1b381948b0051d6fc286476a.jpg


ac482c375599e4afe695b71effbb46dc.jpg


b2886239ca7be56c7cea250a65ceb9b6.jpg


f3945ad33fc7f44d2028d2c818ac2116.jpg


bf75a0643cb3faa6cabb8a1ddb84a522.jpg


6d57d79d2e4096ab10b42c7edd3d4257.jpg


9fd8bc5722f907353da19c6538ac168b.jpg


746a4eb53aab76cc12ad19e6a698dd18.jpg


6c9f63859e546d9d958287cecf992751.jpg


72a8bf27273eb5151dfe112b8e41a938.jpg

83b2736e0e85b1f75348b8459687b731.jpg


This morning I start out from a small campground at the Appalachian Trail near Watauga Lake.
 
wow nice, you are hitting all the cool spots... what an adventure for you Django
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Wonderful. Very neat looking Harley too.
A Harley with a boxer! They build 1,000 of them during WW2 for the Sahara, but when they were ready, war in the Sahara was already history. Actually it's a copy of the BMW of that time. After WW2 they were sold for few money.
 
Love the history Django!

Django teaches as he rides 'merica. Love it! :)

I can't imagine riding that in the Sahara. Sign of the times I suppose.
 
Back
Top