Ride across the USA

Still Django, your share shows many of us the backroads of 'merica that may otherwise be missed. It showcases history, culture, geography and in some cases, art.
 
Wow!, your trip seems to be zipping by so fast. The vastness of the plains...an ocean of a different sort.
 
Django. Great photos and reports. Keep 'em up.

Spotwalla seems to have missed a beat; either that or you were riding incredibly fast this morning. LOL. If I had to guess, it looks like you took 21 to 16 to 7. Hopefully, you're heading north into Jasper. AR14 from Yellville to Harriet (and beyond) is one of my favorite roads in the area. Such great riding there. I'm jealous in the extreme.

Looking forward to your next update.

---------------
New Spotwalla point added... looks like you stayed with AR16. Hope you're having fun. :)
Speaking of culture and art.... Clarksdale, Mississppi, "Home of the Blues" is SORT OF on your lay line to Birmingham. Stop at Devil's Crossroads, where Robert Johnson is said to have sold his soul for the ability to play the blues. Tupelo, Mississippi, birthplace of Elvis Presley.

By the time you read this, you'll probably be past these points of interest. You'll just have to come back next year. ;) :biker:
 
Django_imp said:
Yesterday I started out in Cuchara.

f0a9555eb5830a2a35da06f311f05375.jpg


If you ever happen to be in that area, ride the scenic bypass highway 12 to Trinidad. It's well worth it if you like scenic and twisties.

7c7d35ac7db968bb2a5780a2cf1dec95.jpg


6083a420624e8cd21f2a68b266e10b81.jpg


120076f421680deaa73f6bd49c624207.jpg


After that the landscape became flat,

1a98f63e0a73268fb90bd3ec2ef7cd97.jpg


meeting a train,

9ee21c3234ede03eeb95abb791fd97f8.jpg


even more flat.

98c418c6dd90d6522782ac2b4f9ddf4e.jpg


In Germany we have a saying, if you are in the middle of nowhere, you are in "Pampa". Here we are:

ae29230fb7e3761c05ff0d9c917b7521.jpg


Yesterday was highway day, riding thru those little morbid towns, partly abandoned. After staying the night at the KOA near Elk City, today was Interstate day and the Ozarks in the afternoon.

Near Oklahoma City the traffic get more crowded.

c71167e417fbe06965e0f690dd46ece0.jpg


That's Oklahoma City

183869dbcffb276b7cd2c169d9299d2c.jpg


and after burning some more gas we enter Arkansas.

91b6a6ec34e9bdfad1ce060405472534.jpg


The Ozarks I really like! Lots of twisties and no speed limit beside the 55 miles. Arkansas seems not to pamper the traffic like they do in Colorado.

07502a37b7540ec8e20bf91753cdc13c.jpg


This night I stay in Kingston. Seems to have seen better times, too.

8d4b3c1618e714acff0a56393fd5e7fd.jpg


26b4e47106e03e23f41c0ea3256ecc9b.jpg
That's funny! My German/English dictionary translates "Pampa" as "The boondocks" or "The sticks". That would seem to be a pretty accurate name.

I see you have crossed the Mighty Mississippi River. Congratulations! You now have the Eastern United States to explore. Ride safe!!
 
Wow! Django, you're really making a surprising amount of progress. You're getting within a few days of Western North Carolina and the Blue Ridge Parkway! Keep us posted on your plans. I'm afraid that my wife and I are expecting houseguests this weekend, but I should be free until about Friday noon. Hoping we can at least meet up for a quick "hello" as you pass by.
 
Django_imp said:
Yesterday I started out in Cuchara.

f0a9555eb5830a2a35da06f311f05375.jpg


If you ever happen to be in that area, ride the scenic bypass highway 12 to Trinidad. It's well worth it if you like scenic and twisties.

7c7d35ac7db968bb2a5780a2cf1dec95.jpg


6083a420624e8cd21f2a68b266e10b81.jpg


120076f421680deaa73f6bd49c624207.jpg


After that the landscape became flat,

1a98f63e0a73268fb90bd3ec2ef7cd97.jpg


meeting a train,

9ee21c3234ede03eeb95abb791fd97f8.jpg


even more flat.

98c418c6dd90d6522782ac2b4f9ddf4e.jpg


In Germany we have a saying, if you are in the middle of nowhere, you are in "Pampa". Here we are:

ae29230fb7e3761c05ff0d9c917b7521.jpg


Yesterday was highway day, riding thru those little morbid towns, partly abandoned. After staying the night at the KOA near Elk City, today was Interstate day and the Ozarks in the afternoon.

Near Oklahoma City the traffic get more crowded.

c71167e417fbe06965e0f690dd46ece0.jpg


That's Oklahoma City

183869dbcffb276b7cd2c169d9299d2c.jpg


and after burning some more gas we enter Arkansas.

91b6a6ec34e9bdfad1ce060405472534.jpg


The Ozarks I really like! Lots of twisties and no speed limit beside the 55 miles. Arkansas seems not to pamper the traffic like they do in Colorado.

07502a37b7540ec8e20bf91753cdc13c.jpg


This night I stay in Kingston. Seems to have seen better times, too.

8d4b3c1618e714acff0a56393fd5e7fd.jpg


26b4e47106e03e23f41c0ea3256ecc9b.jpg
My Father was born in Pampa. I don't think it has changed much.
Django, you made quick work of Middle America. Better slow your roll or you will be home in a week!
 
Those Ozarks look pretty close to motorcycle heaven.
 
We held the 2017 CB rally just a few miles north of your ozarks route in Eureka Springs in 2017. It is a great place to ride.
 
Thread starter
Some statistics this morning in Memphis:

9,228 km so far (5,735 miles)

overall pure riding time: 5 days 1 hour 36 minutes

average speed: 75.9 km/h

(not that I invest much into getting those numbers, I just noticed it at looking at my tracks and thought it might me worth a posting)
 
Django just leaving Memphis with perfect riding weather. We had a great visit and it was such a pleasure meeting him and hearing about his adventure across the country. I am so jealous. It is too bad work got in the way and I didn't have a chance to ride with him. He has a fantastic bike and a really cool set up with technology and transporting his gear.

He is off to Birmingham for a visit to the Barber Motorcycle Museum. Look forward to following the rest of his journey.
 
Django_imp said:
Some statistics this morning in Memphis:

9,228 km so far (5,735 miles)

overall pure riding time: 5 days 1 hour 36 minutes

average speed: 75.9 km/h

(not that I invest much into getting those numbers, I just noticed it at looking at my tracks and thought it might me worth a posting)
Interesting. If you had ridden from L.A. to Memphis via the shortest route, it would have been 1,792 miles. You've managed to extract almost 4,000 extra miles of fun with your route. :thumbsup:
 
Django , I am pleased that you will visit Barbers :motorcycle heaven !
Could you estimate when you will arrive in WNC , your room is ready and the beer is cold.
 
Looks like you saw some desolation on your way east, Django.

Django_imp said:
Yesterday I started out in Cuchara.

f0a9555eb5830a2a35da06f311f05375.jpg


If you ever happen to be in that area, ride the scenic bypass highway 12 to Trinidad. It's well worth it if you like scenic and twisties.

7c7d35ac7db968bb2a5780a2cf1dec95.jpg


6083a420624e8cd21f2a68b266e10b81.jpg


120076f421680deaa73f6bd49c624207.jpg


After that the landscape became flat,

1a98f63e0a73268fb90bd3ec2ef7cd97.jpg


meeting a train,

9ee21c3234ede03eeb95abb791fd97f8.jpg


even more flat.

98c418c6dd90d6522782ac2b4f9ddf4e.jpg


In Germany we have a saying, if you are in the middle of nowhere, you are in "Pampa". Here we are:

ae29230fb7e3761c05ff0d9c917b7521.jpg


Yesterday was highway day, riding thru those little morbid towns, partly abandoned. After staying the night at the KOA near Elk City, today was Interstate day and the Ozarks in the afternoon.

Near Oklahoma City the traffic get more crowded.

c71167e417fbe06965e0f690dd46ece0.jpg


That's Oklahoma City

183869dbcffb276b7cd2c169d9299d2c.jpg


and after burning some more gas we enter Arkansas.

91b6a6ec34e9bdfad1ce060405472534.jpg


The Ozarks I really like! Lots of twisties and no speed limit beside the 55 miles. Arkansas seems not to pamper the traffic like they do in Colorado.

07502a37b7540ec8e20bf91753cdc13c.jpg


This night I stay in Kingston. Seems to have seen better times, too.

8d4b3c1618e714acff0a56393fd5e7fd.jpg


26b4e47106e03e23f41c0ea3256ecc9b.jpg
I'm curious. In what sense do you mean this? I don't fully grasp the observation.
 
Thread starter
Stichill_imp said:
Looks like you saw some desolation on your way east, Django.

Django_imp said:
Yesterday I started out in Cuchara.

f0a9555eb5830a2a35da06f311f05375.jpg


If you ever happen to be in that area, ride the scenic bypass highway 12 to Trinidad. It's well worth it if you like scenic and twisties.

7c7d35ac7db968bb2a5780a2cf1dec95.jpg


6083a420624e8cd21f2a68b266e10b81.jpg


120076f421680deaa73f6bd49c624207.jpg


After that the landscape became flat,

1a98f63e0a73268fb90bd3ec2ef7cd97.jpg


meeting a train,

9ee21c3234ede03eeb95abb791fd97f8.jpg


even more flat.

98c418c6dd90d6522782ac2b4f9ddf4e.jpg


In Germany we have a saying, if you are in the middle of nowhere, you are in "Pampa". Here we are:

ae29230fb7e3761c05ff0d9c917b7521.jpg


Yesterday was highway day, riding thru those little morbid towns, partly abandoned. After staying the night at the KOA near Elk City, today was Interstate day and the Ozarks in the afternoon.

Near Oklahoma City the traffic get more crowded.

c71167e417fbe06965e0f690dd46ece0.jpg


That's Oklahoma City

183869dbcffb276b7cd2c169d9299d2c.jpg


and after burning some more gas we enter Arkansas.

91b6a6ec34e9bdfad1ce060405472534.jpg


The Ozarks I really like! Lots of twisties and no speed limit beside the 55 miles. Arkansas seems not to pamper the traffic like they do in Colorado.

07502a37b7540ec8e20bf91753cdc13c.jpg


This night I stay in Kingston. Seems to have seen better times, too.

8d4b3c1618e714acff0a56393fd5e7fd.jpg


26b4e47106e03e23f41c0ea3256ecc9b.jpg
I'm curious. In what sense do you mean this? I don't fully grasp the observation.
I'm curious. In what sense do you mean this? I don't fully grasp the observation.
In Colorado there are much more speed limits before corners or along the passes. In Arkansas there is just 55 everywhere and you are more self responsible to find the right speed in the corners. There are only limits in the villages and neighborhoods. My observation.
 
Django_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Looks like you saw some desolation on your way east, Django.

Django_imp said:
Yesterday I started out in Cuchara.

f0a9555eb5830a2a35da06f311f05375.jpg


If you ever happen to be in that area, ride the scenic bypass highway 12 to Trinidad. It's well worth it if you like scenic and twisties.

7c7d35ac7db968bb2a5780a2cf1dec95.jpg


6083a420624e8cd21f2a68b266e10b81.jpg


120076f421680deaa73f6bd49c624207.jpg


After that the landscape became flat,

1a98f63e0a73268fb90bd3ec2ef7cd97.jpg


meeting a train,

9ee21c3234ede03eeb95abb791fd97f8.jpg


even more flat.

98c418c6dd90d6522782ac2b4f9ddf4e.jpg


In Germany we have a saying, if you are in the middle of nowhere, you are in "Pampa". Here we are:

ae29230fb7e3761c05ff0d9c917b7521.jpg


Yesterday was highway day, riding thru those little morbid towns, partly abandoned. After staying the night at the KOA near Elk City, today was Interstate day and the Ozarks in the afternoon.

Near Oklahoma City the traffic get more crowded.

c71167e417fbe06965e0f690dd46ece0.jpg


That's Oklahoma City

183869dbcffb276b7cd2c169d9299d2c.jpg


and after burning some more gas we enter Arkansas.

91b6a6ec34e9bdfad1ce060405472534.jpg


The Ozarks I really like! Lots of twisties and no speed limit beside the 55 miles. Arkansas seems not to pamper the traffic like they do in Colorado.

07502a37b7540ec8e20bf91753cdc13c.jpg


This night I stay in Kingston. Seems to have seen better times, too.

8d4b3c1618e714acff0a56393fd5e7fd.jpg


26b4e47106e03e23f41c0ea3256ecc9b.jpg
I'm curious. In what sense do you mean this? I don't fully grasp the observation.
I'm curious. In what sense do you mean this? I don't fully grasp the observation.
In Colorado there are much more speed limits before corners or along the passes. In Arkansas there is just 55 everywhere and you are more self responsible to find the right speed in the corners. There are only limits in the villages and neighborhoods. My observation.
i wonder if Django was confusing cautionary signs like this for the actual speed limit:

be19eee9cade83c4b7b8a6e479ad701e.jpg
 
Back
Top