Ride across the USA

Thread starter
June, 22. Took some time in the morning to repack my luggage and distribute the weight better in the panniers, do some email and planning the next days.

Weather report said, I had to cross a thunderstorm front. I decided to go along the Monarch Mountain pass and then go South East. This day I used my warm jacket and the rain gear nearly all day.

At the Monarch pass was snow flurry and really cold.

9febeee8993d441777a9d189e8e7e5ed.jpg


The rest of the day I was more or less chasing the thunderstorms in front of me, sometimes got a shower, sometimes just waited in a coffee bar to let them go.

4ff3468fc05a4ecca06cb21d950a0f92.jpg


57fa27620ad0fce5c70edf78064b6cb7.jpg


8d7e272599e2fde669582bd4293d4933.jpg


Finally I ended up in Walsenburg, where iI wanted to find a room.

0350434277be7fb4adc3f28eabd199ab.jpg


Unfortunately there was no room available as the town was full for some events going on and the tent place of the campground was full of dog cuss. So I decided to go on to La Veta. Finally found a room in Cuchara. Had a nice evening in the Dog Bar with some live music.
 
Big country eh Django? Not like Europe where you can be in 3 countries in a day.

Hope you are enjoying yourself. Now you get to ride across Kansas? lol
 
As I type this I see he is in Trinidad. We've stayed at the LaQuinta there, really enjoy it. Still some good looking country to ride through, just not as majestic as the Rockies. Last few years I've driven it in the winter (save the time I picked up the '14 CB), I imagine it should look quite green right now.

If you pass through fields of sorghum, keep an eye on your fuel consumption. If they have tassled out (probably a bit early though) the pollen can clog your air filter. I had to replace my Ford Edge filter after driving through two states worth one year.
Sorghum looks like really short corn without the cobs. :)
 
Cool old gas station. I love those.
 
Keep these great updates coming, Django. Really enjoying following your journey via the forum and Spot tracking device. Wishing you safe travels and an engaging and memorable adventure.
 
According to Spot he's making his way across Oklahoma on I-40. Good road choice for that area. :D

Don't be in too much of a hurry, Django. You don't want to catch up with that large, slow moving line of thunderstorms that are a few hundred miles east of you.
 
You just went by a bunch of my relatives in Oklahoma. I hope they waved to you!:banana::banana::banana:
 
Thread starter
RLS,, no, not Memphis. Tomorrow still in the Ozark s, Wednesday to Birmingham.

Gesendet von meinem Moto G Play mit Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Yesterday I started out in Cuchara.

f0a9555eb5830a2a35da06f311f05375.jpg


If you ever happen to be in that area, ride the scenic bypass highway 12 to Trinidad. It's well worth it if you like scenic and twisties.

7c7d35ac7db968bb2a5780a2cf1dec95.jpg


6083a420624e8cd21f2a68b266e10b81.jpg


120076f421680deaa73f6bd49c624207.jpg


After that the landscape became flat,

1a98f63e0a73268fb90bd3ec2ef7cd97.jpg


meeting a train,

9ee21c3234ede03eeb95abb791fd97f8.jpg


even more flat.

98c418c6dd90d6522782ac2b4f9ddf4e.jpg


In Germany we have a saying, if you are in the middle of nowhere, you are in "Pampa". Here we are:

ae29230fb7e3761c05ff0d9c917b7521.jpg


Yesterday was highway day, riding thru those little morbid towns, partly abandoned. After staying the night at the KOA near Elk City, today was Interstate day and the Ozarks in the afternoon.

Near Oklahoma City the traffic get more crowded.

c71167e417fbe06965e0f690dd46ece0.jpg


That's Oklahoma City

183869dbcffb276b7cd2c169d9299d2c.jpg


and after burning some more gas we enter Arkansas.

91b6a6ec34e9bdfad1ce060405472534.jpg


The Ozarks I really like! Lots of twisties and no speed limit beside the 55 miles. Arkansas seems not to pamper the traffic like they do in Colorado.

07502a37b7540ec8e20bf91753cdc13c.jpg


This night I stay in Kingston. Seems to have seen better times, too.

8d4b3c1618e714acff0a56393fd5e7fd.jpg


26b4e47106e03e23f41c0ea3256ecc9b.jpg
 
Not sure that Kingston has ever seen better times.
Interesting probably only to myself, I’ve gassed up in Kingston three times on three different trips to that area.
There are some great roads right around you. Hope you get to experience them.
 
Found some blue sky for a change, excellent.
Just no idea how much open country there still is, what's it like on those endless perfect straight roads?
Nothing like that here in NZ.
Cheers Django, keep dry!
 
Those big, open, straight roads are almost 'motorways'! The Ozark twisties - much better. ;)

But with such vast distances to cover in the US, I can't imagine travelling on twisties all the way! :(

It takes me five hours to travel from SW England to Manchester in the North...!!

Thanks for the great updates, Django. Safe journey. :thumbsup:
 
Django, enjoy your US-trip, stay tuned and find interesting roads to travel. Highways are always after a while sort of boring but often one has no other choice than to ride a long distance from A to B within an acceptable amount of time.

When reading your explanation of 'Pampa' another German word comes to my mind 'Walachei'. Could be used for the same scenery, if you want so, as Herrendorf did in his book 'Tschik'.

Wisedrum
 
Back
Top