Ride across the USA

On Google Maps CO 141 looks an amazing road, albeit the landscape seems somewhat arid.
 
A friend of mine (who rides a CB1100 as well) ranks CO 141 as one of his favorite, if not his absolute favorite, roads in the country.

I have every intention of hitting it on my ride out west. :biker:
 
Thanks, LR, you made our day!

We were in Naturita contemplating which way to go, due to the weather. Django made a command decision and we took CO 141. I heartily agree that is one of the best motorcycling roads in CO. Plenty of twists and turns to keep you entertained. The best part was the lack of traffic. We only had to pass one car and only saw two or three cars coming the other way. It reminded me of U.S. 12 in Idaho, but with different scenery. Red rocks and cliffs, vs. forested canyon.

They're repaving part of the northern section, but that was a minor inconvenience compared to the fun we had on the first 75 miles.

Thanks again!:thumbsup:
 
Day 1: I drove down to Hanksville and snapped a couple of pictures along the way of the San Rafael Swell. Singular thunder cell storms were brewing on the horizon and would hit later on in the evening.

f8b8091ee5c78d4dfea73ccb9219079c.jpg


Got to my destination at Dukes Slickrock Campground and unloaded bike from trailer as I would be sleeping inside this night.

78d518bc4bf86487ebee5d89a5fe9c70.jpg


What my sleeping quarters looked like

76828d1205157ea41ea3325e99e82852.jpg


Took bike over to Blondies diner and the storm cells were moving in

de3d572aab992b509663dd5bb18a0b77.jpg


bc96e0f497fd189192fffc6aef85436b.jpg


Had a burger and fries for a somewhat late lunch and then had an epiphany prompted by Cormanus' picture of him hauling a tire. I Wasn't going to need the top box until the second part of the trip after linking up with Django. We were sleeping the first night in a hotel. So I removed the top box and tossed the tires on the back and cam strap locked them down. My original plan had been to put them on the seat in front of the box and strap them horizontally to the bike.

c14e2e5eb229a82afca132ecdd2aa6f5.jpg


Went to dinner at Dukes and these where sitting out front. A little bit of everything on the roads during summer.

06c9f78390738db8e5f218cd29e6ca7c.jpg


471e93b60c556db87d9c44f38ff9d521.jpg


Dinner was good. They know how to grill a trout here. Pie was decent as well.

f05b2b40bcc62ec4e461105c68b6ccd6.jpg


3362dafc2f04ac82f9136337cd5b9c47.jpg


The Duke was working the bar.

b055844f84f77140d652fada59c81eee.jpg


After dinner the storm cells got a little more aggressive

63a186c5d0d6912d455809d6f2302b5b.jpg


77f89d823cda93ba7fbe6c8adbd80cb2.jpg


I watched the lightning for a while and fell asleep to the sound of rain on the metal roof of the trailer.
 
That's a great idea - a motorcycle trailer that you sleep in!

Nice story, happy ending. I love camping in my motorhome (RV) and in bed, listening to the pitter patter of rain on the roof. Very soporific.
 
Day two. I was riding from Hanksville to Escalante right through the middle of Capitol Reef National Park and over the Boulder Plateau.
Got up early and was on the road by 7:30 AM after breakfast and locking up the truck and trailer.

c710ffd2b09c23f410a9b5f1fbd575f5.jpg


Bike loaded, gassed and ready to go:

6d4bb70b69d7f23e81c9f7952a033306.jpg


Inside Capitol Reef:

0225589189d1967cc12b5fd9466afc64.jpg


Coming down the Boulder Plateau looking south west

b20584c7bc462a5bd22b3df908ee5799.jpg


Prior to entering the town of Escalante I stopped by our hotel to confirm check in time. These were sitting out front. 30 something hipsters were riding them. Had the beards and Vans sneakers to match, but good on them...they're out there riding.

0af248604511c7fd420f3f62b34c9405.jpg


I stopped by the Motorcycle Doctor first to drop off the tires.

5a89391f02d1c5186bf037154794252f.jpg


2003ae77a6af1e85f6f78a90382b3aa8.jpg


What passes for lawn ornamentation at the doctors house:

f5be0e1702c2fbdd1ed0029ffdf272ff.jpg


I wasn't able to get a hold of Django so I decided to ride east towards Grand Staircase Escalante and maybe meet him along the road.

bd9f410a909518dee4cdb394d68b8097.jpg


fda0919a9478b551815c804595d90c31.jpg


28b3ca8ec6b0eca9dc707257a01a553a.jpg


9e8afb00037f7cc17cbdffc39db7d94a.jpg


Django and I met on Main street in the early afternoon and headed over to the doctor to get the new shoes put on his ride.

4b2fc385e084cc8ab66ae35a64fe5c40.jpg


We had an early dinner while the tires were put on and then headed to our hotel and got comfortable for the evening. we sat out front of the room and had a couple of beers and discussed Django's ride up until today. Here ends day two.
 
Day Three. We got up early and knocked out an approximate 6-8 mile hike to a waterfall. we were lucky and had the whole place to ourselves as we were the first ones there. Just as we were leaving the first couple of people showed up.

b873489c71f44811f99516b560014f47.jpg


e34a1087c9cf3b83073f7380052eb65d.jpg


After we get back to the hotel we eat and then saddle up and head west over the Boulder Plateau and into Capitol Reef.

b964d98a741ab7fa70e88505d6c01c51.jpg


104305eee5c97ca9a0a7ddefb7296e77.jpg


In Hanksville before we camp Django fixes the dragging front rotor that the "doctor" apparently misaligned somehow.

63d8873334a670c0c14e07b800b6067e.jpg


Once done we leave the bikes in the RV campground and head out to camp under the stars with a fire. As it happened it was somewhat cloudy and we did get a few sprinkles overnight but nothing noteworthy. Here ends day three.
 
pdedse_imp said:
I love the stormy cloud photos...and the sleeping quarters!
Me too. And the other photos of Utah. The scenery is just amazing.
 
Frulk_imp said:
Day Three. We got up early and knocked out an approximate 6-8 mile hike to a waterfall. we were lucky and had the whole place to ourselves as we were the first ones there. Just as we were leaving the first couple of people showed up.

a4267fa55b0e92cac0168dfb377dc113.jpg


6dca71d9a4bb52d4ea41fe0dadd12ba2.jpg


After we get back to the hotel we eat and then saddle up and head west over the Boulder Plateau and into Capitol Reef.

38de3b57eec7f26e564e943a62a4d879.jpg


1a99647dcb37c3679ec7ebca36a7668f.jpg


In Hanksville before we camp Django fixes the dragging front rotor that the "doctor" apparently misaligned somehow.

8e7c1d1b8a74868b8a11f48afdc3856c.jpg


Once done we leave the bikes in the RV campground and head out to camp under the stars with a fire. As it happened it was somewhat cloudy and we did get a few sprinkles overnight but nothing noteworthy. Here ends day three.
There is a recent Civil War era western movie called "Django [Unchained]".
 
This is great. Looks like Django is enjoying himself.
 
Thread starter
David, 6/26 looks good so far. Would you mind if I came 1 day earlier? Just asking, my plans for the next days are still a little shaky.
 
On the 25 is good also and would even be even better



I'll pm you later today and we can make some plans
I've been unloading and sorting contents of 26.ft uhaul for the past two days
All living spaces, bedrooms and kitchen are setup
Just unpacking boxes of tools and motorcycle parts for next few days
 
Better late than never? I made it to the moab dinner for lunch today...
 
I hope the others were waiting. :D :D
 
Back
Top