Rev limiter

jamboa_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
My CB is hitting the Rev Limiter at 6500 rpm! Anybody else? What can I do about this. I like to wring my bikes ocassionaly to Redline . 6500rpm will not cut the mustard. This ain't no V Twin
 
Take it in for warranty work. Something is definitely wrong there.
 
Thread starter
Randy B_imp said:
Take it in for warranty work. Something is definitely wrong there.
First I need to take it to my local shop who installed the gear indicator that is not working yet. That may gave. Given it a problem. It is also showing a the little motor light on the dash as well.
 
No problems running up to redline here. Sounds like your local shop might have bungled something which is now tripping up the ECU.

Think about this though: if they do everything in reverse, twice over, they might just end up disabling the speed limiter. ;)

In all seriousness, hopefully once you get the gear indicator working properly (or remove it), everything will return to normal.
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
No problems running up to redline here. Sounds like your local shop might have bungled something which is now tripping up the ECU.

Think about this though: if they do everything in reverse, twice over, they might just end up disabling the speed limiter. ;)

In all seriousness, hopefully once you get the gear indicator working properly (or remove it), everything will return to normal.
Tomorrow it goes back to the shop to see what happened.
 
It sounds like your gear indicator has your bikes computer thinking it's in 5th gear nomatter what gear you are in and the speed limiter is cutting in in every gear. My bike has 1200 miles on it now and twice getting into the freeway I ran it through the first 3 gears shifting at 8500 RPM. The Staintune sounds awsome and this bike hauls ass. Good luck with a quick easy fix.

Chip
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
It sounds like your gear indicator has your bikes computer thinking it's in 5th gear nomatter what gear you are in and the speed limiter is cutting in in every gear. My bike has 1200 miles on it now and twice getting into the freeway I ran it through the first 3 gears shifting at 8500 RPM. The Staintune sounds awsome and this bike hauls ass. Good luck with a quick easy fix.

Chip
This sounds like the problem to me...
 
Thread starter
HondaJon_imp said:
Agreed, I bet the gear indicator is causing your issues. May not be worth all the trouble...
I hope he can figure it out. I can tell U this I have a aftermarket gearindicator of the same brand on my Versys and it helps out every single time it works.
I hope he can figure it out. I can tell U this I have a aftermarket gearindicator of the same brand on my Versys and it helps out every single time it works.
I meant to say every single time I ride the bike.
 
Definitely sounds wrong though others here seem to know more of the tech details of the limiter than I do.
I know that mine hits it exactly at 112 on my speedo no matter what the tach reads. I have ever hit it in 4th gear once!
Sounds like your ECM is getting incorrect vehicle speed data.
 
Thread starter
Buffalorider_imp said:
Definitely sounds wrong though others here seem to know more of the tech details of the limiter than I do.
I know that mine hits it exactly at 112 on my speedo no matter what the tach reads. I have ever hit it in 4th gear once!
Sounds like your ECM is getting incorrect vehicle speed data.
Yea it os the gear indicator which we R trying to get correct. Hate to hsbe to send it back. They really help out for fifth gear.
 
jamboa_imp said:
Buffalorider_imp said:
Definitely sounds wrong though others here seem to know more of the tech details of the limiter than I do.
I know that mine hits it exactly at 112 on my speedo no matter what the tach reads. I have ever hit it in 4th gear once!
Sounds like your ECM is getting incorrect vehicle speed data.
Yea it os the gear indicator which we R trying to get correct. Hate to hsbe to send it back. They really help out for fifth gear.
Yea it os the gear indicator which we R trying to get correct. Hate to hsbe to send it back. They really help out for fifth gear. What brand of gear indicator are you trying to use?
 
Thread starter
Deanohh_imp said:
jamboa_imp said:
Buffalorider_imp said:
Definitely sounds wrong though others here seem to know more of the tech details of the limiter than I do.
I know that mine hits it exactly at 112 on my speedo no matter what the tach reads. I have ever hit it in 4th gear once!
Sounds like your ECM is getting incorrect vehicle speed data.
Yea it os the gear indicator which we R trying to get correct. Hate to hsbe to send it back. They really help out for fifth gear.
Yea it os the gear indicator which we R trying to get correct. Hate to hsbe to send it back. They really help out for fifth gear. What brand of gear indicator are you trying to use?
Yea it os the gear indicator which we R trying to get correct. Hate to hsbe to send it back. They really help out for fifth gear. What brand of gear indicator are you trying to use
GP1 . Works great on the Versys!
 
I don't know that one. I researched the gipro before I decided I didn't need it and they make a DS? Model with a harness for the cb1100 that is supposed to be plug and play.. . Supposedly reads gear position from the diagnostic port instead of tapping the speedo/rpm signal lines. Bluemonkeymotorsports I think was the source. The various bike mfrs have different setups for their own different electronics.
 
Disconnect Speed sensor black wire coming from rear
brake caliper bracket and see if bike pulls red line in
first gear (sorry speedo and odo will be off too). If
it pulls redline you know speed sensor messing up
all the gears not just 4th and 5th at 110+mph.
 
Back
Top