removing tank stickers

I used a heat gun, held pretty far from the tank, keep the heat gun moving, heated lifted, heated pulled. They actually came off pretty easy. Cleaned off rest of residue with goo gone, then waxed tank. I imagine you could use a hair dryer on low too.
 
I just let the bike sit in the sun a bit. Pealed off really easily, very little residue which came off very quickly with a few quick reapplications of the old sticker. I do live in Florida though.
 
INTP_imp said:
I used a hair dryer on mine. Just heat them up, and go slowly.
Used a heat gun on low. Did what ferret did.

edited to add: Used my fingernail to get it started. No damage to the paint if you are careful.

That was the first thing I did when I got home. After I took my helmet and jacket off;)
 
Heat gun on low basically IS a hair dryer
 
It's a DOT thing. It's one of those "remove at your own risk" sort of things. You might get nabbed for it, but then again you might not.
 
Well, they are tacky, but I'll take them if they help avoid a rear ender. I'm still thinking about adding a flashing brake light of some sort.
 
My bike didn't come with those stickers. I need to buy a set. I'd prefer to hang on to that "new car feeling" for as long as possible!
 
I didn't use anything other than my fingernails to get the peeling started. Came right off. Maybe a bit of residue that I got rid of with Honda Cleaner Polisher.
 
jsinher3_imp said:
Has anyone tried removing the pinstripes from the tank? I would like to remove mines
They're painted on the tank. Not removable.
 
They are actually decals that are clear coated over. They are available and shown in the MARK section of the parts fiche.
 
Hand held hair dryer worked fine for me. As mentioned, keep it moving and test the decals gently with your fingernail until the glue is soft enough to peel away. Sometimes you can get the edges peeled off but have to give the center of the decal extra heat to soften that up. Works great.
 
Supervillian_imp said:
Hand held hair dryer worked fine for me. As mentioned, keep it moving and test the decals gently with your fingernail until the glue is soft enough to peel away. Sometimes you can get the edges peeled off but have to give the center of the decal extra heat to soften that up. Works great.
Exactly how I did it.
I cleaned off any residue with a mild solvent and then finished with some regular car polish.
As long as the stickers stay in good condition you can leave them on if that's what you want to do, but if they deteriorate and are eventually removed the pristine paint under the stickers will be in pretty sharp contrast to the slightly faded paint of the tank.
That's why most of us get rid of them right away.
OTOH, you could buy a set of new stickers and replace them if the old ones fail over time.
I suppose it all depends on how long you intend to keep the bike and if it's exposed to a lot of sun.
I'm the epitome of anal :D when it comes to my "toys" so my bikes are always inside and out of the sun except when I'm out on the road.
 
Back
Top