removing both wheels

Tom_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I'm getting new tires and can save a bunch of $ and get them put on much faster if I bring in the wheels without the bike. I'm a tad nervous about balancing on the center stand with 4x4s holding up the front and rear. Should I be worried. Really don't want to drop it in the garage.

Thanks
 
Tom_imp said:
I'm getting new tires and can save a bunch of $ and get them put on much faster if I bring in the wheels without the bike. I'm a tad nervous about balancing on the center stand with 4x4s holding up the front and rear. Should I be worried. Really don't want to drop it in the garage.

Thanks
Put a milk crate or a solid box under the front forks once the front wheel is off.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
It’s not a problem. I use the center stand and a jack under the engine on both my bikes.
 
Tom_imp said:
Thanks, Any thoughts on which wheel comes off first?
I would do the rear first, you do alot more tugging and pulling with the rear.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
If you use the jack or block under the engine, it doesn't matter.

BUT, if you just use the center stand first, the rear will have more clearance, then jack or block the engine up some and do the front. YMMV, but works for me.

When you put them back on, you need to follow the procedure for the front to ensure everything is seated and forks are not binding. And get the spacers on the correct sides on both wheels to prevent frustration.
 
^^^ what he said.

I usually second guess myself on which spacer goes on which side of the axle for the front wheel. So I look up the parts diagram on line to verify.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Thread starter
mvk24_imp said:
^^^ what he said.

I usually second guess myself on which spacer goes on which side of the axle for the front wheel. So I look up the parts diagram on line to verify.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
does paying attention to how they come off help?
 
Tom_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
^^^ what he said.

I usually second guess myself on which spacer goes on which side of the axle for the front wheel. So I look up the parts diagram on line to verify.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
does paying attention to how they come off help?
does paying attention to how they come off help? Always, I usually put everything i take off in a place on the floor that mimics how it goes back together.

But I've made the mistake of kicking or moving the things accidentally. If that is the case you can always reference a schematic/parts diagram to verify.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
I took both my wheels off to send them away to BartFactory to be made tubeless. I had some engine bars and car axle stands which made it very stable. See
 
mvk24_imp said:
Tom_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
^^^ what he said.

I usually second guess myself on which spacer goes on which side of the axle for the front wheel. So I look up the parts diagram on line to verify.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
does paying attention to how they come off help?
does paying attention to how they come off help? Always, I usually put everything i take off in a place on the floor that mimics how it goes back together.

But I've made the mistake of kicking or moving the things accidentally. If that is the case you can always reference a schematic/parts diagram to verify.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Understood. My stuff lies about outside on the ground because there is no garage. So keeping parts organized is important, but mishaps do happen. :dodgy:
 
Tom just be aware that when the bike is lowered too much in the front the center stand can collapse because of the angle from the base to the pivot point, so be careful to maintain the same height for the front forks.
Maybe loosen all fasteners for both wheels but leave them in place to minimize the force required to undo the various bolts and then remove them per wheel.

I have some ratchet loading straps that i use from the ceiling to the handle bars to stabilize and hold the front wheel off the ground, very reliably, many ways to do this
 
Thread starter
Tev62_imp said:
I took both my wheels off to send them away to BartFactory to be made tubeless. I had some engine bars and car axle stands which made it very stable. See
Excellent video. Many thanks.
max_imp said:
Tom just be aware that when the bike is lowered too much in the front the center stand can collapse because of the angle from the base to the pivot point, so be careful to maintain the same height for the front forks.
Maybe loosen all fasteners for both wheels but leave them in place to minimize the force required to undo the various bolts and then remove them per wheel.

I have some ratchet loading straps that i use from the ceiling to the handle bars to stabilize and hold the front wheel off the ground, very reliably, many ways to do this
Ratchet straps to the ceiling. I like that idea.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
Tom_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
^^^ what he said.

I usually second guess myself on which spacer goes on which side of the axle for the front wheel. So I look up the parts diagram on line to verify.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
does paying attention to how they come off help?
does paying attention to how they come off help? Always, I usually put everything i take off in a place on the floor that mimics how it goes back together.

But I've made the mistake of kicking or moving the things accidentally. If that is the case you can always reference a schematic/parts diagram to verify.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Understood. My stuff lies about outside on the ground because there is no garage. So keeping parts organized is important, but mishaps do happen. :dodgy:
Understood. My stuff lies about outside on the ground because there is no garage. So keeping parts organized is important, but mishaps do happen. :dodgy:
Egg cartons, muffin tins, etc., will keep things organized and in order of disassembly.
 
These are mine:

b2debcbcf30bebb1cf160e0fb43efde2.jpg


7e97c301332cf24c9754cbc99b3b454c.jpg


Well, that was a little bit more than tire change:

a6cf10542ebb07006fb43710cd855545.jpg


This is at Houtman's:

78aeb91715917bec3d032cd8f34c4782.jpg


And sometimes somebody else does the complete job (more or less):

f5861bbcf74114d4b47b31b8e019ddc2.jpg
 
Tom_imp said:
I'm getting new tires and can save a bunch of $ and get them put on much faster if I bring in the wheels without the bike. I'm a tad nervous about balancing on the center stand with 4x4s holding up the front and rear. Should I be worried. Really don't want to drop it in the garage.

Thanks
Funny you asked this question because I was going to do the same. I need to remove the front wheel on my DLX to replace the wheel that is overly corroded, at lease to me. Bike on center stand, with a floor jack under the front of the engine should keep it stable. Since I have roaming cats in and out of my garage, I feel the need to place something under the front forks.
Tev62_imp said:
I took both my wheels off to send them away to BartFactory to be made tubeless. I had some engine bars and car axle stands which made it very stable. See
Saw your use of jack stands on the crash bars. So glad I am a member of this Forum. I just need to install the ones I have in a box before I remove the front wheel. Great Video.
 
Django, where in the USA was this taken?

011dcb1f79ce1bd448bd4ecd35ca6f1e.jpg
 
Django_imp said:
These are mine:

b2debcbcf30bebb1cf160e0fb43efde2.jpg


7e97c301332cf24c9754cbc99b3b454c.jpg


Well, that was a little bit more than tire change:

a6cf10542ebb07006fb43710cd855545.jpg


This is at Houtman's:

78aeb91715917bec3d032cd8f34c4782.jpg


And sometimes somebody else does the complete job (more or less):

f5861bbcf74114d4b47b31b8e019ddc2.jpg
I thought I was the only one that covers his bikes with towels, sheets, blankets and T-shirts!:P
 
Back
Top