Remembering when they use to smoke

Razor

Been there
Thread starter
Use to ride in the 70's with a friend that owned an RD350. When first fired; it smoked like a mosquito fogger. Loved the sound thou :D

A year ago March, found this. It's a 1974 model. Ran, but needed some work.

Just after unloading it.
32f75fb2c481212fa0cf7b6950937948.jpg


658a72b1498358416cd3aa9a99b53600.jpg


Had quite a bit of piston slap. Had to rebore, and put new pistons in. Afterwards, they got a coat of paint and a little polishing.
195186623769ea67c8131167676366dc.jpg


ad8f82bae60a39bd21acd16fb25ff732.jpg


Replaced the clutch disc's and springs. One of the old disc was cracked.
f2a5fa7c9e8b73e49fd7a25bb6641af8.jpg


Low beam on the headlight was out. At the time; couldn't find an OEM replacement, so modified the original with a modern bulb.
Like many headlights of the time; this is a one piece unit (can't just replace the bulb)
Ended up drilling the one bulb out of the housing and silicone'd a new one in its place.
Since then I've gotten a new OEM headlight, but I'll keep the modified in for know. It's actually brighter than the stock one.
642a74d2925feea0d15295b354b9a32f.jpg


Rebuilt the oil pump. PO was running it with premix.
Here is the pump being bench bled, ready to install.
d6f54a9031e3ed89dd5722502719c54e.jpg


Gauge covers were looking a shabby. Cleaned them up and gave them a couple of coats of paint.
7d002615823be36c0f1858c730f7c106.jpg


The master cylinder had taken a hit at some point and needed to be rebuilt.
c46b9c11a77789b5b13e74fb441958db.jpg


7c271707d71baf35b44e458fbe0405ea.jpg


New tires. Trued the wheels too.
ca764bfd07266adabcd9bef1f16ac5fb.jpg


Final photo. Switched out the stock exhaust for chambers (love how they sound)
0cef57cdc8918a8d41e5dca92590bfb6.jpg
 
Very cool Ray. Looks great!

I had a 73 RD350 bought new. Marroon and white. Great little bike. Fast in it's day, 6 speed trans, pretty stout front brake ( again, for it's day). Believe it or not my wife and I toured 2 up on ours with a Bates handlebar mount fairing, luggage rack and back rest. Doubt we would even fit on it these days ( we were much skinnier then) lol
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys!

Mickey, hard to think of riding two up for any extended time. The vibrations would do it me. Then again... to be young again :D

Under load and going down the road; it sounds like two chain saws.
Here's a link to a short clip just after initial start up.

 
Great job! Brings back memories of my RD350 which I had to ride in college, always with extra spark plugs to replace the fouled ones.

Aloha,
Huladog


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Holy cow a whole fleet of mosquito foggers. Cool.

Another great smoker I had, was a 1975 Suzuki GT 750 aka Tea Kettle aka Water Buffalo. Superb, smooth, powerful, quiet and efficient 3 cylinder liquid cooled 2 stroke with dual disc front brakes. However when you put a Vetter Fairing on one, which I did, the wind pressure goes over your head, circles back around due to a low pressure vacume, and pulls the smoke forward leaving you smelling like whichever iinjector oil you were burning lol
 
As always, Razor, a beautiful job. Gotta love a two-stroke.
 
Last night I dreamed that I died. I went towards the bright light and as I passed through, I found myself in Tezza's garage. :P
 
Back
Top