Regional sub-forum?

Inhouse Bob

Road warrior
Thread starter
Hi gang,
I'm depressed. No riding in a couple of days has me all stressed. Must get out the door!
Meanwhile, is there a place on this forum where folks can post to others in their area? Local ride-to-eats, tech days, weekend meetups and that sorta stuff? I'm sure there are others close to me in Northern VA, but I don't know how to find them. If not, how can I set that sort of thing up?
 
I see a few places on the net where riders ask about others nearby. Even on a busier site responses seem kinda low. Maybe some is they would rather know the person better, or most don't live that close.

I do see groups all the time, a ton of group riders around SE WI, likely the same over by you. I would do some local networking yourself, even up to asking questions at the local bike shops. There are the various 'groups', maybe you fit in with one of them?

Just in the last two weeks I got offers to ride with others, one is with our pastor and his group, the other is a relative who will be coming through from MI in July. I think checking bulletin boards at the bike shop, online, and different events that are up your alley would work. Just a simple google search in a few different ways should turn up something local.
 
You will have to pitch your idea to Ferret, the moderator and Guth the forum owner and see what they say. Good luck! I like the idea, but I don't count :)
 
My local group is on Face Book. It's easier to navigate, to post pics and vids, events, files, monitor and control. I like it because in my settings, I control who I want to friend, unfriend, unfollow, what's seen and unseen, etc.
Your local group will probably consist of/expand to be just more than CB owners.
Besides, everyone is on FB except a couple of people on this forum and my financial advisor who rides an ST1100 LOL.
 
How did you know I'm not on Facebook? :huh:
 
even if regional sub forums aren't introduced you can still post for local gatherings.
there is a meetups section on here
Honda CB1100 Forum - Meet Ups & Gatherings

post there.
my suggestion for thread titles would be of the format...
location , place/destination , date.

for example..
Long Island, NY , OBI parking lot , this sunday...

HTH
 
This would be something you'd have to pitch to Guth, but I don't see it happening. There just aren't that many of us to split up into mini groups.
 
You can try starting your own Meetup group. I did a search on Meetup.com for groups in Northern Virginia and didn't see any motorcycle specific groups. Here in Southern California there are quite a few and they are very active. You can define your group however you'd like, whether it's for modern retro motorcycles, Honda CBs, anything on two wheels, etc.. Not a bad way to at least reach out and see how much interest is in the community around you. I've done a few rides with a sport bike group on Meetup but mostly ride solo (then come back here and exaggerate about my riding prowess).
 
I really enjoyed the NC rally, not just the riding, but all the people that I met in Robbinsville regardless of what they were riding. There was this couple on one end of the San Ran, Steve & Pam, they were fun. Pam didn't have a CB, but she knew how to ride, put me to shame. Then there was Rick on the other side of me, he was very inspirational. The Harley guys were cool, mostly just loud, them and their bikes, the 3 Bulgarians on the dual sports were a riot. I too am looking for like minded groups in the Cape Cod area. I have found a few fund raising rally's that I will hope to meet riders at. My point being that age or moto type doesn't matter, just get out and have fun on 2 wheels.
 
Chapo, besides the riding experience, what you describe is another rewarding benefit of our sport. For those of us who are socially promiscuous ( ;) ) meeting new people from different parts of the world is the icing on the Cinnabon! As we saw in Robbinsville, a large number of enthusiasts, not a lot unlike us, enjoy traveling by motorcycle and the perks that come with it. Staying at places like Iron Horse, High Valley Airpark, Blue Ridge Motorcycle Camp, Cherohala Resort, Two Wheels Only, Little Ocmulgee, Unicoy State Park or any of the other enthusiast frequented stays always result in the making of new and interesting friends. Once one starts traveling long distances it seems to grow on you and becomes something you can't wait to do again. My buds and I trip twice a year and I usually do one or two solo rides. We don't do interstates and only eat and stay at mom and pop establishments on the way. The 1st Annual CB1100 Rally was great and while probably not fully realized in the minds of many, is the beginning of a tradition that will endure well beyond us. We all met, reinforced our virtual friendships and enhanced a social network that has the potential to reward us for the rest of our lives. All because we have a healthy affliction for the CB1100!
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the input, folks.

I belong to a KLR 650 forum and have found many friends and riding mates through the mid-Atlantic section. We are all active on the greater forum, but it's nice to be able to zoom in on my area quickly and find out what others are up to or post locally relevant info. The tech day thing is especially helpful, as there are some very talented wrenchers out there who are willing to help with the odd repair or service. Think valve check/adjustments. :s We also share reviews of local shops, coupons for deals, etc.

Probably the most important feature is a contact list of folks who have trailers/trucks and tools available in case of a breakdown on the road. It's nice to know that locals have your back.

Of course, we are talking about KLRs here. This CB may be a lot less likely to leave a guy stranded :thumbsup:
 
I appreciate the suggestion — it has been brought up before. For now the Meetups & Gatherings section (as mentioned by DJS) doesn't get so hammered with new threads that it can't continue to serve this purpose. Once it gets to the point where content is forced off of the first page in a very short period of time it would make sense to re-visit splitting that section into sub-forums.
 
There is nothing worse than a small forum that is divided up to the point where you have a bunch of dead subforums.
 
Back
Top