Red Side Covers Finally

redbirds_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
The 2013 CB has always been my favorite model albeit all models have their strong points. The only burr under the saddle has been the silver side covers; to me they look like primer coated doors on a car. The price of replacement covers in body color are too costly for me so after putting it off for years now, I ordered paint in base and body color from Color Rite. I have followed the Color Rite directions sent with the paint and the process went surprisingly well.

First step was to remove the CB1100 emblems without damaging them. A blow dryer and some dental floss made this job easy with no marring of the covers.



I taped off the black upper part of the covers and found a crack in the right side cover near the mounting bolt hole. This was repaired with a thin piece of sheet steel and some JB Weld epoxy.

[url=http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/stumpshooter/media/20170402_7_zpsd4mpkyy6.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/stumpshooter/media/20170402_9_zpsucm7jtmi.jpg.html]

Next the covers were sanded with 600 grit sandpaper and finished with 0000 steel wool. One coat of primer was applied.

[url=http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/stumpshooter/media/20170402_12_zpsrlnlgodf.jpg.html]

After allowing the primer to dry thoroughly, two coats of the Color Rite base color was applied allowing about 20 minutes between coats.

[url=http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/stumpshooter/media/20170402_13_zpsoluh5zpu.jpg.html]

Then three coats of Color Rite Candy Glory Red allowing adequate drying between coats.

[url=http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/stumpshooter/media/20170402_15_zpssidhwfgy.jpg.html]

After allowing an hour drying time, the masking tape was removed. This required using an Exacto knife to carefully trace along the tape's edge so as not to pull the paint. Three coats of the Color Rite clear coat were applied, 20 minutes drying time between coats.

[url=http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/stumpshooter/media/20170402_19_zpsujicpj8u.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/stumpshooter/media/20170402_22_zpslptbmnsy.jpg.html]

I will replace the emblems tomorrow using outdoor rated double sided tape by 3M and post a few pics with the covers on the bike.
 
Looking good there birds! Nice job with the painting.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Looking good there birds! Nice job with the painting.
Thanks Mickey. The color match seems spot on as best I can tell. I had fun doing it and now Pamela wants me to paint her V-strom in French Racing Blue. I'm going to give it a go.
 
Looks really good redbirds. I should really man up and have a go at my side covers. It would mean buying replacement emblems as the 2011 bike has cheeap and nasty decals rather than a badge.
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
Looks great.

How much did you spend on supplies VS whatever the cost of just buying them would be?
Candy Glory Red requires a base color, top color and clear coat. The base and top coats were $33.95 each. Clear gloss was $16.95 and with shipping came to $99. I used a primer suitable for plastics from my local ACE Hardware, about $4. Other items I had on hand. Buying the covers outright is about $300 with shipping.
 
Man, that just looks great!
 
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice ! Looks awesome Steve!
 
Redbirds that looks great!!

I see that mod for me in the very near future. I've wanted matching side covers for a long time and just couldn't pull the trigger on buying them. You made this look easy and they look perfect.
Nice looking workshop/garage you have there too. I'm surprised those birds on the wall are painted black and not red....:D
 
Back
Top