Reasons to like CB1100 STD model vs. DLX

Lord Popgun_imp said:
The worst thing about the black standard...

It's not red! :P
Right! : )
Rocky_imp said:
This poll applies more to the US, and perhaps some foreign riders, because we only got one model up here in Eskimo land.
My '14 has all the features of a deluxe, but has a 4-into-1 exhaust and is Spencer blue.
I think we may be the only country that got that combo of colour and exhaust.
I like my bikes to have colour and the engine to have many shiny parts so the black standard models with blacked out engines don't really appeal to me.
But what a dull world it would be if we all liked the exact same thing or if all models were identical :D



Gotta like that blue!
 
Rocky_imp said:
This poll applies more to the US, and perhaps some foreign riders, because we only got one model up here in Eskimo land.
My '14 has all the features of a deluxe, but has a 4-into-1 exhaust and is Spencer blue.
I think we may be the only country that got that combo of colour and exhaust.
I like my bikes to have colour and the engine to have many shiny parts so the black standard models with blacked out engines don't really appeal to me.
But what a dull world it would be if we all liked the exact same thing or if all models were identical :D



I agree ! I was drawn to the more classic lines of the DLX.
 
That DLX looks great in white.
 
I think the standard is an awesome looking bike however, being an old fart I Was drawn to the DLX. Just a "dime" more to fly first class.
 
kvdv_imp said:
I think about this from time to time. In my mind, the perfect version of the CB1100 would include:
Dual exhaust for sure
The larger tank of the DLX, but painted black with red accent stripe like the standard
Black side covers too, but leave the engine silver
The DLX instrument panel features
The cool look of the DLX seat
And NO ABS! God how I hate ABS and the entire premise behind it!!

I could get 90% of the way there by swapping out the red tank and side panels with black ones from Samurider, and I've even looked into it. Now if only Mr T had a solution for removing/disabling the ABS, I'd be all set!
I think they made a Black DLX, not sold in the US.
 
THE one reason I don't like the Triumph Bonneville is those dual exhausts which get in the way of the chain. So the DLX made me think of this. I don't have a garage so working on the bike is more of an issue anyway. I use a pitbull stand on the rear of the bike as well which is easy on some bikes and harder on others. The DLX certainly looks classier. But I like the new RS a lot. Had a 97 VFR. The Sport thing always grabbed me. The DLX is kind of the Honda Accord of bikes. It's not the middle aged Harley guy. Not the GSXR guy. Not the Adventure tourer guy.
This is a nice shot: http://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cyclewor...C&fc=50,50
 
Carguy1959_imp said:
kvdv_imp said:
I think about this from time to time. In my mind, the perfect version of the CB1100 would include:
Dual exhaust for sure
The larger tank of the DLX, but painted black with red accent stripe like the standard
Black side covers too, but leave the engine silver
The DLX instrument panel features
The cool look of the DLX seat
And NO ABS! God how I hate ABS and the entire premise behind it!!

I could get 90% of the way there by swapping out the red tank and side panels with black ones from Samurider, and I've even looked into it. Now if only Mr T had a solution for removing/disabling the ABS, I'd be all set!
I think they made a Black DLX, not sold in the US.
I think they made a Black DLX, not sold in the US.
They made a black EX..same bike only with wire wheels

 
curlyjoe_imp said:
My '13 has abs and linked brakes (C-ABS). :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The brochure for the Canadian '14 clearly says that it has linked brakes along with ABS.
For a few months I rode it as if it had linked brakes (just using one brake - foot or lever depending on the situation) until one day The Ferret brought up the subject and we started looking very closely at our bikes to discover that the brakes aren't linked at all - but I do have ABS.
Haven't needed to use it, but I'm glad it's there.
 
I considered ABS very highly desirable until I came up a '14 STD that didn't have it. Then I thought, "If I ride this thing in a way that makes me wish I had ABS, well I guess I f'ed up somewhere." Rationalization in the face of beauty.
 
Deluxe wasn't available when I got my '13 but the extra weight would have put me off anyway. I can see the six-speed being nice on the open road as well as the extra gas. This thing seems to need a gas stop more often than I need to take a leak and that's pretty often these days.

I guess I do think the Standard looks a little more svelte and period-correct with the four-into-one pipe and sleeker tank lines, for the sportier Honda inline four genre. It channels more of the CBX and CB400F to my eye.

I think right about now, that if I am of the mind where I just don't care about the money, I may just up and get me one of them CB1100RS models to see what it's all about, though. Time to do something with the FZ8, it could probably do some young guy needing a good all-round bike some good.

We'll see, and then we can all debate whether the RS is actually any better. Two CB1100s in the garage? What the...?!

Maybe the RS could do with both cams and a reflash to squeeze out those extra few ponies.:rofl:
 
feralchimp_imp said:
I considered ABS very highly desirable until I came up a '14 STD that didn't have it. Then I thought, "If I ride this thing in a way that makes me wish I had ABS, well I guess I f'ed up somewhere." Rationalization in the face of beauty.
Precisely. I may be an old fuddy duddy but I don't see anything wrong with striving to become technically proficient at managing my machine myself. Taken to extremes, the line of thinking that brought us ABS leads to that crazy BMW future concept bike that can't tip over and can't wreck, supposedly negating the need for a helmet or protective gear! At that point, the bike is riding you, you are no longer riding the bike. What happens when technology eventually makes it impossible for us to make (and therefore learn from) mistakes? Is that really what we want?
Anyway, getting back to the original question here... I really do like the black STD model a lot, and if I didn't already own a DLX I'd probably jump on one of the great deals on STDs that seem to be popping up all around...I appreciate the DLX 6-speed gearbox and the extra fuel capacity, but I don't see those as deal breakers... Heck, I toured the US on an '07 Bonneville; a CB1100 STD could easily have blown it away in nearly every measurable category. It's all relative, I suppose.
 
The black STD has a leaner look to it but, IMO, it doesn't evoke those cool 70's machines the way the red DLX does.
 
To me Honda has shown their vision of the CB with the standard 2013 model offered in diverse countries worldwide.

All other followers are a tribute to what the customer likes to see in the CB and therefore they are more or less attempts to keep these customers satisfied.

But well, Honda looses me with their modifications.
I stick to the first model.

Wisedrum
 
Back
Top