Reasons to like CB1100 STD model vs. DLX

dsinned_imp

Been there
Thread starter
1. easier to modify exhaust
2. blacked out engine and all black body works stealthier looking
3. 2 to 3K $$$ cheaper and easier to buy used or new
4. dealers are overstocked, so so OTD sale price is generally a lot cheaper
5. slighter lighter weight
6. ABS is optional (in 2013 only?)
7. Classic Honda "CB" retro styling from the 70s
8. Chrome fenders and engine bits really works
9. Power curve nearly perfect for commuter or UJM street bike
10. Skinny tires cheaper to replace
.
.
.
Note, surely there are other reasons, so please feel free to add your own to this thread, or maybe you have the opposition POV and feel the DLX is the only way to go, e.g. ABS is standard equipment and therefore safer.
 
Looks are a matter of preference and very subjective. I love the dual pipes on the DLX as I have a thing for symmetry.

On a more objective note, the STDs are slighty lighter but lack the ABS option. Exhaust upgrades are more available for the STD, though.
 
For me, what I like my DLX:

#1: ABS
#2: Red candy & chrome engine
#3: Dual exhausts
#4: Bigger tank gas

And what I hate:

#1: can not modify the exhausts for better sound (without replacing it) @@
 
I guess there's no accounting for taste. I was #2 in line for a new 2013 but once I saw the bike in person (black engine, black wheels) I was disappointed and cancelled my deposit. When I saw the DLX a year later, I knew it was the one for me. I much prefer the dual exhaust and silver engine vs. the Std.
 
I love my 2013 STD and I wouldn't trade up for a DLX. The STDs just look sportier to me. I don't mind the single sided exhaust at all.
ABS was an option on the 2013, but not on the 2014 STD. I've never had a bike with ABS, so I don't miss it. Had there been a 2013 with ABS available, I'd have gone that way, just for the sake of improved safety.
I think the DLX is probably more desirable to most, however, due to the larger tank, symmetrical exhaust, and ABS. Either way, they're all really beautiful bikes.
 
MikeD_imp said:
I love my 2013 STD and I wouldn't trade up for a DLX. The STDs just look sportier to me. I don't mind the single sided exhaust at all.
ABS was an option on the 2013, but not on the 2014 STD. I've never had a bike with ABS, so I don't miss it. Had there been a 2013 with ABS available, I'd have gone that way, just for the sake of improved safety.
I think the DLX is probably more desirable to most, however, due to the larger tank, symmetrical exhaust, and ABS. Either way, they're all really beautiful bikes.
I feel the same Mike. I've never liked the 4 into 2 or 4 into 4 exhaust. Would be nice to have the 6 speed and I do prefer the all aluminum engine finish on the DLX.
 
There were (I believe) 30 changes from the 2013 std to the 2014 dlx. I thought every one of them a true and valuable improvement, so I traded my 2013 for the 2014 DLX, and couldn't be happier. Loved my 2013. Love my DLX even more.

The ONLY downside to the DLX I have come across for me, is the left side pipe makes checking chain tension incrementally more difficult. On the flip side it is a lot easier to get to the oil filter from the front of the bike.
 
I'll just take both. LOL

I love my DLX, but the STD is purty. This is my DLX and Sharkey's STD at a recent Bike Night. His is very sporty and dark/mysterious looking. But I love my big red tank, the dual exhaust and the chrome. It just looks "classic" to me and takes me back to the early big CB's.

cedeefef4095ed274e028c46e61aaee8.jpg
 
Thread starter
Jeephoto, when seen side by side like in your post, both models are really strikingly beautiful in their own way. I must admit the deluxe has a lot more going for it in general; the brilliant chrome, symmetrical header pipes especially. This feature gives the CB1100 inline four more of an original retro look.
 
The best thing about the black standard...

It's not red!

: )
I keed all you red riders, of course!
 
I love my 2014 black std....just like my black car and black truck ;-)

I had a CB750 with 4 into 4 and a Kawasaki GPz750 with 4 into 1....always thought the 4 into 1 was the more sportier exhaust.

 
The worst thing about the black standard...

It's not red! :P
 
This poll applies more to the US, and perhaps some foreign riders, because we only got one model up here in Eskimo land.
My '14 has all the features of a deluxe, but has a 4-into-1 exhaust and is Spencer blue.
I think we may be the only country that got that combo of colour and exhaust.
I like my bikes to have colour and the engine to have many shiny parts so the black standard models with blacked out engines don't really appeal to me.
But what a dull world it would be if we all liked the exact same thing or if all models were identical :D

http://s392.photobucket.com/user/Rock500_2008/media/Motorcycles/Honda CB1100A/IMG_1878.jpg.html
 
Desirability and beauty are too subjective criteria... That eye of the beholder thing, ya' know. I, however, herein offer a few of the countless scientific facts that make the black 2014 the most bada** of all CBs.

1. Superheroes who wear black are cooler.
2. As observed in CB population ecology, the blacks tend to be the alpha males of the pack while the DLXs are the older members of the population caught in a constant struggle of trying to show the younger, stronger, better looking members that they "still got it".
3. The bigger tank and the second pipe are clear signals of Freudian compensation for "other shortcomings"
4. The Gollum-like detrimental changes to their physical appearance and obsessive behavior that DLX jockeys exhibit with the wheels and motor of their rides have led researchers to conclude that Honda forged those two items in the fires of Mordor. After-dusk video filmed in non-controlled environments (2016, Big Walker Motel, Bland, VA) have revealed two-pipers crouching next to their DLXs and obsessively caressing these parts while whispering "my precious".
5. Nemo has one. :cool:

I hope this settles the inquiry. References to the peer-reviewed literature available upon request.

:thanks:
 
I think about this from time to time. In my mind, the perfect version of the CB1100 would include:
Dual exhaust for sure
The larger tank of the DLX, but painted black with red accent stripe like the standard
Black side covers too, but leave the engine silver
The DLX instrument panel features
The cool look of the DLX seat
And NO ABS! God how I hate ABS and the entire premise behind it!!

I could get 90% of the way there by swapping out the red tank and side panels with black ones from Samurider, and I've even looked into it. Now if only Mr T had a solution for removing/disabling the ABS, I'd be all set!
 
I vote standard. Something about how perfect and chrome covered the DLX is just makes it look too polished and refined for me. I prefer the look of the 4 into 1 headers much more than 4 into 2. Also prefer the bare headers without the chrome covers. I think the discoloration gives it character. Blacked out everything looks better than silver engine and red paint.
 
Back
Top