Rear View Mirrors

Bighonda14_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I took my first ride on my new DLX yesterday and noticed that the mirrors do a pretty poor job of giving a view of what is behind me. Any suggestions on replacements or how to maximize the view they provide?

Thanks.
 
That's interesting, Bighonda. I find the mirrors just fine. However, a number of members have replaced them with mirrors from the CB500—for example, ChipBeck's bike. See this thread.
 
There are a couple of factory black plastic options that are a direct replaement, like the CB1000r mirrors, or as Mr. Cormanus mentioned, the CB500 models, which have the added attraction of being factory quality..
A lot of guys love the chrome Napolean bar-end mirrors, too, if you'd rather stick with chrome. They can take a little getting used to due to their mounting point, but you adapt to it pretty quickly.
Run a search on the forum when you get a chance, there have been several in-depth conversations about them that you'll probably find helpful.
Good luck!
 
I stuck $2 blind spot mirrors at the top left/right corner of the mirrors. Does the job fine for me, although I do look over my shoulder most times when switching lanes - you can never be too sure. Mirrors only do so much.
 
The '13 OEM mirrors don't work that well for me but I haven't replaced them yet. If I adjust the mirrors so I can see cages behind me, about half the field of view is my arm/shoulder. For lane changing, I turn and look.
 
I find the 2014 mirrors do a good job for me with both mirrors covering both lane behind me. Maybe I have skinny shoulders lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
I find the 2014 mirrors do a good job for me with both mirrors covering both lane behind me. Maybe I have skinny shoulders lol
Same here, the factory mirrors work fine for me, but I suppose it depends on how wide you upper body is.
 
Guess I have big shoulders? ;). The 2013 mirrors never worked well for me either and wasn't aware that the 2014 units were different, so I went with the black CB500 and I'm very happy with the view they give me. Plus the mirror's quality is excellent!
 
I don't think I have particularly wide shoulders so I went out to the garage to make some adjustments. I attempted this shortly after I bought the bike but couldn't figure out the 2-nut system and left it be for fear of damaging the mirrors. Well, I didn't know the top nut on the mirror is reverse threaded so I was able to make the adjustments needed for me after figuring out that by accident, lol. I suspect you all already knew that! I still don't like the mirrors but am reluctant to go away from OEM. I'll have to take a short test ride today to fine tune the adjustments but I suspect they will work for me just fine.
 
I never had any issue with them, but mirrors are so easy to change that there's no reason not to try something else. Safety first.
curlyjoe_imp said:
I don't think I have particularly wide shoulders so I went out to the garage to make some adjustments. I attempted this shortly after I bought the bike but couldn't figure out the 2-nut system and left it be for fear of damaging the mirrors. Well, I didn't know the top nut on the mirror is reverse threaded so I was able to make the adjustments needed for me after figuring out that by accident, lol. I suspect you all already knew that! I still don't like the mirrors but am reluctant to go away from OEM. I'll have to take a short test ride today to fine tune the adjustments but I suspect they will work for me just fine.
I'll bet not everyone knew that.

I first learned it when working on my XT550 Yamaha around 1983. Not all makers do that. And the CB1100's setup is confounding. You will want to really snug everything down, they come loose quite easily.
 
They are made that way so if the bike falls over the mirrors rotate back and don't automatically break off.
 
The ferret_imp said:
They are made that way so if the bike falls over the mirrors rotate back and don't automatically break off.
And I always though it was so they wouldn't vibrate loose and the wind push them back. :-/
 
Thread starter
Elipten, and others with the CB500 mirrors,
I know this is a subjective question (as are most of the topics discussed on this board!) but how much of a difference in field of view do the new mirrors make for you?

Thanks.
 
Bighonda14_imp said:
Thanks guys for all the helpful advise. I'll probably give the CB500 mirrors a try.
I replaced my stock mirrors with CB500 mirrors. I can't recommend them highly enough. First off they look so much better than the stock chrome. Second, they are lower profile and slightly wider than the stock chrome. They show a much/slightly better view than stock chrome.
The down side is they ain't cheap. For me, between the looks and better performance they were well worth the cost
Go for it.
 
My CB has once unfortunatly fallen to the ground
because it stood sidestandwise on a loose gras ground and sunk in. The concerned mirror did not rotate and it now has a little scratched chrom surface
out of this event. That's my mirror rotation experience. Not that much of a turn anyway.:rolleyes:

Wisedrum
 
Back
Top