Rear Tire Time, 14K

HikerToo_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
You know, on the bike it looked like I could get another 1K miles out of it, but now in this picture next to the new one, it looks like time:-)
Also to save travel time, I took the wheel off and will drop them off at the dealer for mount and balance. Only took 10 minutes to take off and will be $30 instead of $60 for the dealer tire work.
3806fe8a866fe99c2815baacc5521644.
 
Yep you were due. What tire is that the Bridgestone?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Yep you were due. What tire is that the Bridgestone?
Yes, BT-54(OEM), bought a pair last year on sale at Chapparel, front installed around 9K...now rear at 14K, guess I'll need another front in 3 or 4K....
 
RandyB got good mileage out of his Stone too. My OEM Dunlop only made it about 8500 miles.
 
I changed my Dunlops at 13,500. the front still had a couple of thousand miles left but I was going on a 2800 mile trip and wanted new tires for it. Put on Avon Roadriders. Turned out to be a good choice. I have 5,500 miles on them now and they are wearing & riding great.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Yep you were due. What tire is that the Bridgestone?
Yes, BT-54(OEM), bought a pair last year on sale at Chapparel, front installed around 9K...now rear at 14K, guess I'll need another front in 3 or 4K....
Your's did a lot better than mine. I got 6K front and 9.5K rear. I don't ride that aggresively, so I'm blaming the heat from the perpetually melting pavement here in the desert. :P

I'm having much better wear on the Michelin PR3s.
 
So is the CB1100 harder on front tires than most bikes?? Most of the bikes I've had, usually only had to replace the front tire every other time I replaced the rear. Granted, there has been times I should have replaced the front sooner, but didn't. Now that I'm older (and don't heal as quickly as I did when I was young) I tend replace both at the same time even though the front could probably run several thousand more miles.
 
Thread starter
chairdr_imp said:
So is the CB1100 harder on front tires than most bikes?? Most of the bikes I've had, usually only had to replace the front tire every other time I replaced the rear. Granted, there has been times I should have replaced the front sooner, but didn't. Now that I'm older (and don't heal as quickly as I did when I was young) I tend replace both at the same time even though the front could probably run several thousand more miles.
I believe the consensus is there is less tread on the front, at least on the OEM BT-54's ....
 
Excerpt from previous post:

Front tires start out with less rubber. According to Bridgestone, their front tires start out with 4/32 tread and rears with 9/32. If that is true with the Dunlops as well in 6200 miles I have used up 1/32 on the front and 4/32 on the rear, so the rear is wearing faster than the front.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
You know, on the bike it looked like I could get another 1K miles out of it, but now in this picture next to the new one, it looks like time:-)
Also to save travel time, I took the wheel off and will drop them off at the dealer for mount and balance. Only took 10 minutes to take off and will be $30 instead of $60 for the dealer tire work.
3806fe8a866fe99c2815baacc5521644.
The ferret_imp said:
RandyB got good mileage out of his Stone too. My OEM Dunlop only made it about 8500 miles.
This is where I was when I replaced my rear tire. I probably could have waited, but I was tickling the wear indicator and I don't like to push it on moto tires.

fe70dfbb93d2d029e8a9d5419ba9f117.jpg


4d0b25f3c0f754f3099ea325c5041cb3.jpg
 
That's awesome! How do you do this?

I had to change my first set of oem tires (Dunlop) after 5,000 km, which is just 3,125 miles.
 
I was commuting a little over 110 miles a day on the freeway.
 
8300kms and time for a front tire. Rear looks good till about 12k. Time to try some Angel GTs. I'm hoping they will give me longer wear life.
 
Thread starter
"usually"......
longer wear, harder tire, less grip
shorter wear, softer tire, more grip
It's finding the proper combo that makes you happy
My old Ninja used to get 5K miles on rear, 7K on front. That includes the occasional burn-out :-)
 
HikerToo_imp said:
"usually"......
longer wear, harder tire, less grip
shorter wear, softer tire, more grip
It's finding the proper combo that makes you happy
My old Ninja used to get 5K miles on rear, 7K on front. That includes the occasional burn-out :-)
Then there are dual compound tires like the Michelin PR3 and Bridgestone BT45s. Harder compound in the center for better wear, softer compound on the sides for grip. I use PR3s on the CB11 and BT45s on the CB750 and they really are the best of both worlds.
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
"usually"......
longer wear, harder tire, less grip
shorter wear, softer tire, more grip
It's finding the proper combo that makes you happy
My old Ninja used to get 5K miles on rear, 7K on front. That includes the occasional burn-out :-)
Then there are dual compound tires like the Michelin PR3 and Bridgestone BT45s. Harder compound in the center for better wear, softer compound on the sides for grip. I use PR3s on the CB11 and BT45s on the CB750 and they really are the best of both worlds.
Then there are dual compound tires like the Michelin PR3 and Bridgestone BT45s. Harder compound in the center for better wear, softer compound on the sides for grip. I use PR3s on the CB11 and BT45s on the CB750 and they really are the best of both worlds. How does braking figure in to the dual compound idea.....I've had less grippy tires that would lock up noticeably sooner than others while hard braking.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
"usually"......
longer wear, harder tire, less grip
shorter wear, softer tire, more grip
It's finding the proper combo that makes you happy
My old Ninja used to get 5K miles on rear, 7K on front. That includes the occasional burn-out :-)
Then there are dual compound tires like the Michelin PR3 and Bridgestone BT45s. Harder compound in the center for better wear, softer compound on the sides for grip. I use PR3s on the CB11 and BT45s on the CB750 and they really are the best of both worlds.
Then there are dual compound tires like the Michelin PR3 and Bridgestone BT45s. Harder compound in the center for better wear, softer compound on the sides for grip. I use PR3s on the CB11 and BT45s on the CB750 and they really are the best of both worlds. How does braking figure in to the dual compound idea.....I've had less grippy tires that would lock up noticeably sooner than others while hard braking.
I haven't noticed that problem. I get regular practice making hard stops riding if Phoenix traffic every day and I've never locked them up.
 
Back
Top