Rear tire replacement

H.Ibsen_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I have been on my recent purchase of a 2013 CB 1100/ABS for about 2 months and 1000 miles. The rear tire, Dunlop Sportmaster 140/70-18 has a screw in it and needs to be replaced. The front is nearly new. I'm having trouble finding it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
 
Does it 100 percent need replacement? I've plugged motorcycle tires before and had them successfully last the normal life of the tire.
 
I plugged my rear tire at 300 miles and its still good at 2750. No, I don't ride as much as some of you guys.
 
I bought Bridgestone BT54s in stock sizes at denniskirk.com Good prices and fast delivery. Put them on the bike myself!
 
Just as a safety note I would never plug a motorcycle tire except in a pinch until I could get a new tire. Tires for this bike are cheap and easy to replace
You only have one life the way I ride a blow out at high speed could be catastrophic. Also last time i ordered tires from Dennis's Kirk I had them in 2 days literally it was a great buying experience.
 
Brookland27_imp said:
Just as a safety note I would never plug a motorcycle tire except in a pinch until I could get a new tire. Tires for this bike are cheap and easy to replace
You only have one life the way I ride a blow out at high speed could be catastrophic. Also last time i ordered tires from Dennis's Kirk I had them in 2 days literally it was a great buying experience.
I agree with this, but I will say this about the factory Bridgestones....
I hit a piece of broken concrete that was in the middle of the freeway at 75mph and blew out my front tire....and didn't realize it was flat. The steering got a bit heavy so I knew something was up, but I never lost control of the bike or felt unsafe. I didn't know it was actually flat until I got off the freeway....20 or so miles later. Yeah, I probably should have stopped, but being on the side of the freeway in pre-dawn light on SF bay area roads is not my idea of a safe place to be, so I kept going.
Amazingly there was no damage to the inside of the tire that I would have expected to see from riding on a flat tire, only the hole from the initial puncture.

I in no way would recommend doing this, but I really had no idea the tire was flat, and this just speaks volumes to me about the quality of the tire that Bridgestone created for this bike.

Here is a map of how far I rode.

0fde9ce4b96c4c9a0fae70ced8e7b70d.jpg
 
I hit some nasty pavement this summer on my F800GT which blew out the front rim and immediately caused the tire pressure to drop to 18 psi. I was going about 75 mph at the time. Rode the bike home, about 80 miles, with the Tire Pressure Monitor going crazy, but no other issues. Not recommended, and not inexpensive to repair, but I didn't die.
 
Thread starter
Hey everyone!

Thanks you of very much for all of your advice. I was successful in getting the correct Bridgestone tire on the Dennis Kirk site. It'll arrive on Wednesday, and I can't wait to get back on the road. It's going to be in the 90's this weekend, and I'm sad to not be able to be out there for the hot days, but I'll just have to make up for lost time next week.

Again, thanks for all of your help. I'm so glad I found this forum!
 
How much is it at Dennis Kirk?
 
Back
Top