Rear Preload

Scudrunr_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Let's consider this thread an informal survey of rear preload. I'm 210 lbs, and I have my rear set at 2.

How much do you weight, where is your rear preload set?
 
180 lbs ... right now I have 3 bars showing on front and and on second to deepest notch on rear
 
175 lbs. and same settings as the Ferret. Three lines up front and 2nd deepest in back.

When I first picked the bike up at the dealer, they had the rear set to the stiffest setting. I nearly bit my tongue off after hitting a few bumps on the freeway on the way home. :P
 
145 lbs. Stock on the front, 1 click up on the back.
 
200 lbs, 2 lines showing on the fork preload, rear on 2nd click on the stock shock. I found the stock shock oversprung and underdamped, so switched to an aftermarket shock with nicer damping. One way to live with a stock shock is what Ferret and Flynrider have done: crank the preload even more to achieve the equivalent of more damping. People do it with the stock Bonneville shocks too. It's not a terrible solution, and has the added benefit of increasing ride height (because there's now less sag when loaded). On the fork, tightening the preload one notch from the stock, 3-lines showing, to 2-lines showing, made me feel like I no longer needed to buy a fork brace. I really like the front suspension now. :)
 
Thread starter
After everyone's feedback I took out all of the rear preload and added a line to the forks. The rear is way better, but I now agree that the stock rear shocks are over sprung. Much more compliant and confidence inspiring in the corners, but not quite there yet.
 
I'm in at 200lbs. Front fork is at 2 lines showing and rear shocks are set at the 3rd notch or middle position. Seems to work well for me.................
 
Back
Top