Rear Fender Elimination.

Thread starter
the wires are shielded and the bottom of the seat is exposed. What I plan on doing is making a template out of cardboard of the underside of the seat and exposed areas, then using that template, making an aluminum plate to hide all that and protect. shouldn't be too hard. I will post pictures. But that will probably not be until next week (unless i find time in the next day or so.)
 
silascopathic_imp said:
the wires are shielded and the bottom of the seat is exposed. What I plan on doing is making a template out of cardboard of the underside of the seat and exposed areas, then using that template, making an aluminum plate to hide all that and protect. shouldn't be too hard. I will post pictures. But that will probably not be until next week (unless i find time in the next day or so.)
Hmm I may consider buying another fender and cutting the end off as someone else suggested. Not sure how much I trust my own metal working skills :-/
 
Thread starter
the way i see it, the piece of aluminum will be about $15-$20 with about 30 min of labor. definitely beats $200 and then cutting it in half. Mackerel, if I can come up with a template I'll make an extra and send it to you
 
silascopathic_imp said:
the way i see it, the piece of aluminum will be about $15-$20 with about 30 min of labor. definitely beats $200 and then cutting it in half. Mackerel, if I can come up with a template I'll make an extra and send it to you
That would be amazing :D
I'll keep checking back for your updates. Hopefully I can at least be the first to try those separate handlebars so I can give something back.
 
Thread starter
not yet. I was hoping that the tail light would come in. I bought some solder yesterday and some heat shrink in anticipation of the project. But i'm going away for 5 days and the project will have to wait until next week.
 
Mackerel_imp said:
My only other big concern was how much protection there is underneath the seat area without the fender. Are any of the wires or anything susceptible to water/corrosion damage because it no longer has the metal shield blocking everything getting slung from the tires?
Gentlemen,

If I was going to do this, to try and accomplish this look, I would use the flat black fender similar to the one on the Mugan CB1100. A smaller and properly shaped taillight is incorporated into this flat black shorty fender which virtually disappears once you put it on the bike. Your stock fender and taillight assembly could come off intact and could be replaced at any time. The bottom of your seat and the wires would all be covered up because a fender would actually be in place in that area. The license plate mounts directly to a flat black section of that fender and the license plate is also protected by it. Best of all, for about $230 bucks you can buy it, just bolt it on and you're done. This fender is sold by Samurider. For members trying to achieve this who don't want to put a lot of effort into fabricating something from scratch this may be a solution. All the best.

Chip

 
Hmm I contacted a local motorcycle machine shop and explained what I was trying to do. He came back with "First of all, this is illegal in the USA. Please call me so we can talk about it."

I asked what exactly was illegal, maybe he was confused by some part. I was just curious how much it would cost if I had someone professionally do it vice order one (the $350 above) or fabricate one myself like silascopathic. He gave me the standard $90/hour, but who knows how many hours it may take them...

EDIT: Ah, it was in reference to the actual tail light. We already knew that one isn't DOT certified. All clear!
 
Mackerel_imp said:
Hmm I contacted a local motorcycle machine shop and explained what I was trying to do. He came back with "First of all, this is illegal in the USA. Please call me so we can talk about it."

I asked what exactly was illegal, maybe he was confused by some part. I was just curious how much it would cost if I had someone professionally do it vice order one (the $350 above) or fabricate one myself like silascopathic. He gave me the standard $90/hour, but who knows how many hours it may take them...

EDIT: Ah, it was in reference to the actual tail light. We already knew that one isn't DOT certified. All clear!
I had my prices wrong. That flat black fender complete with the light is only $230. A red painted one is $380, and a chrome one is $600!!!! That is expensive chrome.

Chip
 
I couldn't ditch my turn signals no matter how much you paid me because to me they are just too important out on the road. There are just too damned many people out there on a daily basis that are trying to kill me, so I HAVE to let them know what I'm doing at all times.
 
Could someone post that picture from facebook up here? I can't get on FB.

I'm thinking about just using a different tail light, one that's a bit smaller to fit under the seat better and finding some turn signals that fit flush to the area where the stock ones are. But because the stock ones leave a circular raised hole it will tough to find something that looks like it is supposed to be there.
 
Thread starter
Randy B_imp said:
I couldn't ditch my turn signals no matter how much you paid me because to me they are just too important out on the road. There are just too damned many people out there on a daily basis that are trying to kill me, so I HAVE to let them know what I'm doing at all times.
that is why i'm getting an integrated tail light. :)
 
Wow that is it, except with the back blinkers! And the handle bars look to be the separate kind I want to use. They are at least lower than any others I've seen.
 
Back
Top