Rear Fender Elimination.

silascopathic_imp

Been there
Thread starter
So I am serious thinking of ditching the rear fender. has anyone done this? I would love to hear thoughts? Also I am looking for a rear fender elimination kit complete with tail light and plate holder.

I was looking at this for a triumph and figured I could fabricate an adapter to fit the bike.

British Customs Fender Elimination Kit
 
silascopathic_imp said:
So I am serious thinking of ditching the rear fender. has anyone done this? I would love to hear thoughts? Also I am looking for a rear fender elimination kit complete with tail light and plate holder.

I was looking at this for a triumph and figured I could fabricate an adapter to fit the bike.

British Customs Fender Elimination Kit


The inspiration for my bike has been the Mugen CB1100 that I saw on Bike Exif. Google those terms and you'll find some great pictures with what I think you are looking for for the rear fender. I wish I could post them. I think that custom bike is amazing. I wish the parts were readily available here in the US.

Kevin
 
Just be sure to save the parts. 20 years from now, some poor bike restorer is going to be searching whatever passes for EBay in the future for a rear fender to complete his bike.
 
Thread starter
ordered an integrated taillight for the bike. ONce it comes in I will attempt this project.

Eliminate rear fender, turn signals and relocate license plate under the seat.


hope it looks bad ass
 
Silascopathic,

Are there any updates to the rear fender elimination? I'd really love to do the same thing and see how well it turned out. Thanks!
 
Thread starter
at this point i am still awaiting the taillight. once that comes in I will start the project. Believe me, I will definitely let everyone know how it goes and will provide pictures
 
Thread starter
ok today I removed my wheels to get powder coated and thus started to remove the rear fender.

The fender removal was pretty simple until i got to the tail light cable. I looked and tried to remove it without cutting it but I couldn't figure it out.

Soooo I ended up cutting the wires on my rear turn signals and the tail light. When I hook it up to the integrated tail light i will just solder the wires back together and add heat shrink to cover the solder. (simple enough)

attached are some pictures of some of the steps i came across and the look I am going for. Removing the turn signals leaves a gaping hole but i think I am gonna get the tandem grip to hide it or add custom leather saddle bags... not sure yet.


any way... pictures..


[url=http://s561.photobucket.com/user/SIGFREAK239/media/93984A9D-814A-48FC-93BE-EB14F2735B7D-14446-000007B74FB29BFB.jpg.html]
[url=http://s561.photobucket.com/user/SIGFREAK239/media/3C4F42FD-65A5-4690-811C-822350A19C1A-14446-000007B758787C78.jpg.html]
[url=http://s561.photobucket.com/user/SIGFREAK239/media/5B12FEE8-F79F-43E8-B1C0-78053D663ED8-14446-000007B75FCB4608.jpg.html]
[url=http://s561.photobucket.com/user/SIGFREAK239/media/10066757-8181-4AA1-B91C-CA131FCF5274-14446-000007B776E82DCC.jpg.html]
[url=http://s561.photobucket.com/user/SIGFREAK239/media/E076B612-2F3C-4DD7-9374-AE3C915E1618-14446-000007B77D4026B3.jpg.html]

This is where i plan on having the tail light sit. just need to make a bracket that will also hold my license plate.

[url=http://s561.photobucket.com/user/SIGFREAK239/media/B8BE0B7F-0D44-4B96-ACAF-5824FCDDBEC0-14446-000007B78414BFBB.jpg.html]
[url=http://s561.photobucket.com/user/SIGFREAK239/media/201C2CD6-BD7A-485F-B52A-B4D123BB90F0-14446-000007B789C338A1.jpg.html]

have any questions thus far?? just ask :) i mostly needed a #6 allen wrench and a 10mm and 12mm socket and a pair of snips ;)
 
This is definitely going to have a cool look to it when you're done. Did you consider cutting the rear fender instead of removing it completely?
I'm guessing this is going to make an occasional mess under the seat area, etc. If you ever decided to go back to stock, a new fender is only about $200 bucks.
 
Thread starter
Jim21680_imp said:
This is definitely going to have a cool look to it when you're done. Did you consider cutting the rear fender instead of removing it completely?
I'm guessing this is going to make an occasional mess under the seat area, etc. If you ever decided to go back to stock, a new fender is only about $200 bucks.
Thank you!

I thought about that. I plan on making an aluminum plate to fill the space under the seat.

I'm psyched though!!
dBuster_imp said:
ummm your tires missing also! Is that part of the no fender mod?! ;)
out being powder coated ;)
 
Have you thought about using a smaller brake light/blinkers; one that fits more easily underneath and maybe gives more room for the license plate?
 
Thread starter
Mackerel_imp said:
Have you thought about using a smaller brake light/blinkers; one that fits more easily underneath and maybe gives more room for the license plate?
at this point I am awaiting the integrated tail light and turn signal to see what I can some up with.

http://www.moto-tuner.com/HONDA_CB1100_LED_TAILLIGHTS_INTEGRATED_TURN_SIGNAL_p/mt-lt-3117ledw.htm

getting it with the smoked lens. i think it'll be bad ass. If the license plate looks ****ty under the seat I will just side mount it
 
silascopathic_imp said:
Mackerel_imp said:
Have you thought about using a smaller brake light/blinkers; one that fits more easily underneath and maybe gives more room for the license plate?
at this point I am awaiting the integrated tail light and turn signal to see what I can some up with.

http://www.moto-tuner.com/HONDA_CB1100_LED_TAILLIGHTS_INTEGRATED_TURN_SIGNAL_p/mt-lt-3117ledw.htm

getting it with the smoked lens. i think it'll be bad ass. If the license plate looks ****ty under the seat I will just side mount it
at this point I am awaiting the integrated tail light and turn signal to see what I can some up with.

http://www.moto-tuner.com/HONDA_CB1100_LED_TAILLIGHTS_INTEGRATED_TURN_SIGNAL_p/mt-lt-3117ledw.htm

getting it with the smoked lens. i think it'll be bad ass. If the license plate looks ****ty under the seat I will just side mount it
Awesome! That's the exact tail light I have on my dream list. I liked the integrated part. Now I'm just wondering how I can cover up the holes from the stock turn signals. There has to be some part with the same connection that I can put over it. I was also debating on using Flush turn signals, but I don't think the stock bar where the turn signal plugs in would be wide enough to look flush.

Again I can't wait to see how it looks. Eliminating the rear fender will be my biggest project so I'm glad I get to see how it's done.
 
Thread starter
I am thinking of either finding a plug to fill those holes - or - looking for a tandem grip that will take the place of those parts - or - i still may add small side saddlebags
 
My only other big concern was how much protection there is underneath the seat area without the fender. Are any of the wires or anything susceptible to water/corrosion damage because it no longer has the metal shield blocking everything getting slung from the tires?
 
Back
Top