Rear brake pedal

Mixagon_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Sorry I know this has been discussed before and I've searched and read all I can find.
Ok here's my problem, I am now sometimes carrying a pillion which makes me sit further forward (which has solved the needing bar risers problem) but now the brake pedal is to high :(

I've read that there is half an inch adjustment but not on mine it seems. So on the adjuster rod I have a 14mm nut and two 12mm nuts which I assumed would lower the brake pedal but on screwing both directions to the full the brake pedal remains the same 32cm off the floor. All that changes is when the brake light comes on or not.

It was only a quick try as time was short but anyone know how to lower the pedal or what I did wrong.
 
From a post I made a LONG time ago:

From the manual:
Loosen the push rod joint nut and turn the push rod until the correct pedal height is obtained.

If the brake pedal is adjusted to the lower position, make sure the clearance between the lower end of the push rod and the brake pedal does not fall below 1mm.

If the brake pedal is adjusted to the higher position, make sure the lower end of the push rod is visible inside the joint.

All that from the manual means the threaded shaft, or rod, needs to have some threads showing inside the linkage piece, or at least 1mm clearance with the pedal. Realize there are two nuts, the lock nut, and at the top of the shaft by the rubber boot, a nut you turn to adjust the shaft length.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, I will try again but mine has three nuts. The access to it is very poor as you must know unless the rs is different.
 
Thread starter
Finally got the brake lever to lower from 32cm to 30cm off the ground and now its perfect for me.

Now comes the BUT... the brake light is on all the time and out of adjustment range to turn it off. The only way is to raise the brake pedal to where it was before or even higher. There is no adjustment to move the switch without modification.

I'm seriously thinking of trading in for another Yamaha FJR 1300
 
" ... dear, ... the love of my life. A light bulb burned out on my ride. I will need to replace the motorcycle. I will be home by dinner."
 
GO, really?
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
" ... dear, ... the love of my life. A light bulb burned out on my ride. I will need to replace the motorcycle. I will be home by dinner."
OR ....dear....the love of my life.. I'm sorry you can not ride with me because I will have to sit in the correct position and then I will not be able to use the to high rear brake so its not safe for us both... Honda have saved money by making it non adjustable but Yamaha could save our touring days.
 
You've got to have what suits Mixagon. I love my CB1100 but it is compromised in many ways, especially for two up work. I really think this was a nostalgic labour of love for Honda and they have succeeded in producing a wonderful motorcycle that just does what it does. I shall keep mine but it could never replace my main bike for longer or heavier loaded days.
 
It's a shame the brake lever can't be adjusted. Seems a basic sort of thing to me.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
It's a shame the brake lever can't be adjusted. Seems a basic sort of thing to me.
Actually I can adjust the pedal to my level but can not adjust the brake light switch so the brake light is on all the time. With more time and removal of the exhaust and foot peg holder I may be able to modify it but that is a winter job.

I'll keep the cb100rs and maybe get something more suitable for two up.

I still like the cb500x its my fav and is my first choice for solo rides.
 
Ah, yes, of course. I just looked at the service manual for my older model and there appears to be a good deal of adjustment. I’d have to look at the bike to confirm. Did you move the lever a reasonable distance?
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Ah, yes, of course. I just looked at the service manual for my older model and there appears to be a good deal of adjustment. I’d have to look at the bike to confirm. Did you move the lever a reasonable distance?
I moved it 2cm down but that puts the brake light on and can not see any adjustment for that. Maybe on strip down it will be more obvious.
 
Mixagon_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
" ... dear, ... the love of my life. A light bulb burned out on my ride. I will need to replace the motorcycle. I will be home by dinner."
OR ....dear....the love of my life.. I'm sorry you can not ride with me because I will have to sit in the correct position and then I will not be able to use the to high rear brake so its not safe for us both... Honda have saved money by making it non adjustable but Yamaha could save our touring days.
OR ....dear....the love of my life.. I'm sorry you can not ride with me because I will have to sit in the correct position and then I will not be able to use the to high rear brake so its not safe for us both... Honda have saved money by making it non adjustable but Yamaha could save our touring days.
:thumbsup:

Yes, I have owned many Yamahas and they have been good partners in riding.
 
I looked at my bike and although there isn't much pedal adjustment, the brake light switch appears to have a lot of adjustment. It is currently in the middle of the adjustment. I don't know about the RS though.
 
Mixagon_imp said:
Finally got the brake lever to lower from 32cm to 30cm off the ground and now its perfect for me.

Now comes the BUT... the brake light is on all the time and out of adjustment range to turn it off. The only way is to raise the brake pedal to where it was before or even higher. There is no adjustment to move the switch without modification.

I'm seriously thinking of trading in for another Yamaha FJR 1300
That's the best advise I've read/heard in a long time.
For me, and many other people, the FJR is the best bike out there.

I'm on my second one and my '16 is staying with me forever.

I'd say go for it.... get an FJR!!! :banana:
 
Thread starter
Sparky80_imp said:
Mixagon_imp said:
Finally got the brake lever to lower from 32cm to 30cm off the ground and now its perfect for me.

Now comes the BUT... the brake light is on all the time and out of adjustment range to turn it off. The only way is to raise the brake pedal to where it was before or even higher. There is no adjustment to move the switch without modification.

I'm seriously thinking of trading in for another Yamaha FJR 1300
That's the best advise I've read/heard in a long time.
For me, and many other people, the FJR is the best bike out there.

I'm on my second one and my '16 is staying with me forever.

I'd say go for it.... get an FJR!!! :banana:
That's the best advise I've read/heard in a long time.
For me, and many other people, the FJR is the best bike out there.

I'm on my second one and my '16 is staying with me forever.

I'd say go for it.... get an FJR!!! :banana:
I know they are good I've had two FJR's in the past :D
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I looked at my bike and although there isn't much pedal adjustment, the brake light switch appears to have a lot of adjustment. It is currently in the middle of the adjustment. I don't know about the RS though.
Thanks for taking the time to look. I can't see any adjustment for the brake light switch unless I take one of the three nuts off, some say there are only two nuts.
 
Mixagon_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
It's a shame the brake lever can't be adjusted. Seems a basic sort of thing to me.
Actually I can adjust the pedal to my level but can not adjust the brake light switch so the brake light is on all the time. With more time and removal of the exhaust and foot peg holder I may be able to modify it but that is a winter job.

I'll keep the cb100rs and maybe get something more suitable for two up.

I still like the cb500x its my fav and is my first choice for solo rides.
Actually I can adjust the pedal to my level but can not adjust the brake light switch so the brake light is on all the time. With more time and removal of the exhaust and foot peg holder I may be able to modify it but that is a winter job.

I'll keep the cb100rs and maybe get something more suitable for two up.

I still like the cb500x its my fav and is my first choice for solo rides.
can you provide a picture i have never seen a honda that had a rear brake switch thats not adjustable the pictures i have seen on google show the rear set looking just like my 14 and its adjustable
 
Back
Top