Rear brake light LENS removal DIY?

Riko_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I am thinking of replacing the rear brake light with this LED version from Endurance:
ENDURANCE : Tail Lamp [JEMGC337A1]

f9eafe43935343566efe12effb4e48fd.jpg

77f45939e8e95bb390a2d36355bba732.jpg

55611a198244f164bebb3a16288e05b3.jpg

db55c35a0f4227a5f6c46d20d3e7aec4.jpg


I like the LED look of it, but I don't like the smoked or the clear lens they provide with the kit...so I want to keep the stock red lens.

So today I decided to take a look at the rear light module and saw that you could remove the lens, but I wasn't too keen on forcing too much that would brake the tabs holding the lens in place.
2 tabs at the bottom, 2 tabs at the top.




Is there a technique to unclick that lens from the module?


Thx
 
Thread starter
yeah a whole unit is not an option, $98, no thanks.

I might as well try to untab the sucker.

When a bulb needs replacing you have to untab it too...but it seems nobody had a bad rearlight bulb :)
Problem is the tabs are very tight and bulky, I fear to force and brake em..
 
I replaced rear bulb without untabing. But it is tight to turn that bulb holder


2014 CB1100 DLX
2013 CB1100 Std
1990 BMW K75 RT
 
Thread starter
great, so how did you remove the lens first?
Used a small flat screwdriver at 2 tabs at once?
 
Think "outside the box" Riko. :idea:

The bulb is removed from the back of the housing. Push in and turn counter-clockwise.

I replaced the oem bulb with an LED bulb. None of the "rope lines" of the lens you are looking at but definitely brighter than stock. $5 fix.
 
Thread starter
okay lol, you missed it all than :)

My goal is to replace the LENS, not the bulb....read my first post.
You guys had to replace the bulb and it seems for that you dont have to detach the lens, thats why the confusion.

I assume than nobody here ever detached the lens itself. Crap.

Tho your led bulb sounds interesting as well. Any pics?
 
Well... I was responding to your post, #3 in this thread, where you wrote it was necessary to remove the lens to replace the bulb.

I was only saying that isn't the case.

I know it didn't address your about removing/replacing the lens itself. Just saying that replacing the bulb is a breeze.

No pictures of my LED bulb. It's just brighter. No big deal.
 
I repalaced the stock brake light bulb with a tailBlazer blinking bulb. On the 2014 the lens is held in place with 2 hex head bolts.
 
ok someone should do a pictorial for the How To section on how to remove the lens and /or replace the tail light bulb. Sounds like it's not the old 2 long phillip screws from the face anymore. ANYBODY?
 
Riko_imp said:
Its actually the whole assembly thats hekd by those bolts, not the lens.
Correct. On the 2014, the lens assembly has to be removed, then the bulb socket can be undone to replace the bulb.
Looking at the pics on the Japanese website that sells the clear LED lens, is that the chrome assembly visible around the lens? It may be a bolt on product.
I like the blinking tailBlazer bulb assembly I bought. It appears to be brighter than stock bulb and also flashes.
 
Thread starter
White Dog_imp said:
Riko_imp said:
Its actually the whole assembly thats hekd by those bolts, not the lens.
Correct. On the 2014, the lens assembly has to be removed, then the bulb socket can be undone to replace the bulb.
Looking at the pics on the Japanese website that sells the clear LED lens, is that the chrome assembly visible around the lens? It may be a bolt on product.
I like the blinking tailBlazer bulb assembly I bought. It appears to be brighter than stock bulb and also flashes.
Correct. On the 2014, the lens assembly has to be removed, then the bulb socket can be undone to replace the bulb.
Looking at the pics on the Japanese website that sells the clear LED lens, is that the chrome assembly visible around the lens? It may be a bolt on product.
I like the blinking tailBlazer bulb assembly I bought. It appears to be brighter than stock bulb and also flashes.
yep it should be bolt on, only wire it in and good to go.
I would use their assembly but keep the stock red lens...
 
Back
Top