Rear brake drag

NightRider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
When I turn my rear wheel by hand I have to grip the tire and turn with some effort and there is a slight sound of both pads in contact with the disk. How do I know the drag is ok or what too much drag is outside of knowing there is something wrong should it be very hard to turn the wheel?

Or, can a few of you try it with your bikes and let me know if it spins very easy or if there is some slight drag?

Thanks.
 
Pretty much all disk brakes will have drag, as there is nothing but a deliberate (very small) warp in the rotor to actually push the piston/pad back to the released position. Your front will have drag as well if you manage to check it with the front wheel off the ground.

I don't have an actual torque spec for drag, but it should be minimal -- like a little flick spin should make it spin for about a foot. If you push it and it stops immediately, that's too tight. The back wheel will be tighter, as you're moving the chain, front sprocket, and essentially half the gearbox as well.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the quick reply. I can flick it and it will move about a foot. I'll keep checking it from time to time. Since I have your attention, may I ask another related question. Do your rear pads have wear indicators, like a slot in the center of them that is visible should the pads still be ok?

Thanks again. - Art
 
I've honestly never looked at my rear pads, but there are a couple people on here who have done several pad changes.

I've never seen a motorcycle pad with a "squeeler" so it's probably going to be either a slot or just visual inspection (the shop manual should state minimum pad thickeness).
 
NightRider_imp said:
Thanks for the quick reply. I can flick it and it will move about a foot. I'll keep checking it from time to time. Since I have your attention, may I ask another related question. Do your rear pads have wear indicators, like a slot in the center of them that is visible should the pads still be ok?

Thanks again. - Art
Art, wear indicators are brand dependant. The pads my bike came fitted with had wear indicators, the two sets I've fitted since don't. I change the pads when thickness is approaching 2mm.

Cheers
kmoney_imp said:
I've honestly never looked at my rear pads, but there are a couple people on here who have done several pad changes.

I've never seen a motorcycle pad with a "squeeler" so it's probably going to be either a slot or just visual inspection (the shop manual should state minimum pad thickeness).
I read Kmoney's thread and thought to myself, "Why do I change the pads when thickness approaches 2 mm?" I dunno, just do. So I checked my '13 model workshop manual and could not find a reference to minimum pad thickness. Just, "Replace the brake pads if either pad is worn to the wear indicator". I guees that 2mm seems to me to be about time for a change.

Cheers
 
Referring to the first pic in post #7, and being that I was told "You are riding the rear brake pedal" I keep a close watch on the rear disc and caliper mounting arm and continuously measure the gap between. .050" is a good measurement on my cycle. If I see less, I know I am unnecessarily adding heat to the rear disc. The end result will be a cupping of the rotor toward the caliper arm. Someone mentioned that Honda is really "proud" of those rear disc rotors to the tune of $300+.
 
Back
Top