RE Himalayan

hb9400_imp

Been there
Thread starter
While it's been a few years since I've owned a CB1100 I still enjoy this forum. I decided to purchase this 2021 Himalayan to do some camping / fire road adventures. Takes me back to my very first ride, a 1978 Honda XL175 back in the day.
 
cool. Does it have 2 front fenders? Is that the stock seat?
 
Congrats on a nice looking RE. It's one I would love to try out sometime. Would be interested in a few comments about the bike once you get the chance to ride it a bit.

That 2 fender combo is a stock set-up; I think it would look better w/out the beak, seemingly inspired by BMW--can it be removed? I'm not sure that it does anything practical for the bike.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
cool. Does it have 2 front fenders? Is that the stock seat?
Yes it comes stock with both fenders. The seat is a Corbin seat I purchased off of eBay shortly after I put the deposit down. I was on the fence at first but so far it has been the best addition I've done so far. I have a Corbin seat on the VStrom 650XT as well.
 
Yes,a nice bike. I've had my eye on RE for awhile. I note on the "unoffical"(non factory forum) RE forum that a member there has a problem w/his Himalayan's battery always dying. Keep us informed of your ownership. Also RE will be bringing an all new 350 road bike in March. Good luck with it.
That "unofficial forum" is classicmotorworks.com
 
That's cool! I have a ton of respect for the Himalayan after watching Itchy Boots' YouTube channel. If you haven't heard of her, watch her season 1, where she rode one from India to Europe, and Season 2, where she rides one throughout South America.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
That's cool! I have a ton of respect for the Himalayan after watching Itchy Boots' YouTube channel. If you haven't heard of her, watch her season 1, where she rode one from India to Europe, and Season 2, where she rides one throughout South America.
Noraly has a very nice gig going with her channel.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
That's cool! I have a ton of respect for the Himalayan after watching Itchy Boots' YouTube channel. If you haven't heard of her, watch her season 1, where she rode one from India to Europe, and Season 2, where she rides one throughout South America.
Itchy Boots, nathanthepostman, Grasshopper's Ride, AdvSideKick, KARMAkaze Moto have all posted some excellent videos about their Himalayan experiences/adventures. I've put 98 miles on it so far. It is extremely slow, very cold blooded and very narrow. You definitely wouldn't want to put many highway miles on it.
 
hb9400_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
That's cool! I have a ton of respect for the Himalayan after watching Itchy Boots' YouTube channel. If you haven't heard of her, watch her season 1, where she rode one from India to Europe, and Season 2, where she rides one throughout South America.
Itchy Boots, nathanthepostman, Grasshopper's Ride, AdvSideKick, KARMAkaze Moto have all posted some excellent videos about their Himalayan experiences/adventures. I've put 98 miles on it so far. It is extremely slow, very cold blooded and very narrow. You definitely wouldn't want to put many highway miles on it.
Itchy Boots, nathanthepostman, Grasshopper's Ride, AdvSideKick, KARMAkaze Moto have all posted some excellent videos about their Himalayan experiences/adventures. I've put 98 miles on it so far. It is extremely slow, very cold blooded and very narrow. You definitely wouldn't want to put many highway miles on it.
Yes, not ideal for North American freeways.
 
So, when I need to hit 85 to cross from the car pool to my exit on the 405, might be a little hairy?
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
So, when I need to hit 85 to cross from the car pool to my exit on the 405, might be a little hairy?
If memory serves me correctly, in the greater LA area there is little warning prior to many exits or off ramps. This was especially inconvenient pre-mobile-GPS days (e.g. before late 90s). In addition, the ramps are sharp (tight circumference).

Now add lane change from high occupancy lane to next off ramp. Um, I can't imagine some of the off ramp strategies for a cage, especially an anemic and wheezy cage.
 
Looks mostly evolutionary, no performance gains. I sat on one at the local dealer a while back and found it comfortable but, as you said, narrow. That’s not a bad thing necessarily.

Two years ago, I spoke with a gentleman who ran tour groups through Nepal on RE Himalayans. He fashioned himself as an affordable alternative to luxury moto touring. I’d like to try that someday.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Looks mostly evolutionary, no performance gains. I sat on one at the local dealer a while back and found it comfortable but, as you said, narrow. That’s not a bad thing necessarily.

Two years ago, I spoke with a gentleman who ran tour groups through Nepal on RE Himalayans. He fashioned himself as an affordable alternative to luxury moto touring. I’d like to try that someday.
It just may be the RE Himalayan will be the bike to have during the apocalypse when roads will be questionable at speed. Other ADV-like bikes will be too complicated to maintain.
 
One link leads to another; I love listening to English from India and Dino does a nice walk around and ride video for the green '21:




I had never noticed the protective grid on the left side, viewable at 5:25... seems a bit over the top. Removeable? EDIT: now that I think about it, isn't that grid designed to keep legs and clothing out of chain for people who sit sideways on the back?

But I really like what they've done to this bike. It looks like a fun machine, affordable, fitting for my (lack of) riding style.

In about 5-7 years, wife and I hope to spend considerable more time in Costa Rica, where she is from. She left home and family 30 some years ago--in fact, we're just days away from 30 yr anniversary. Says she'd like to spend more time around her sisters and feel "Costa Rican" again. So if plans work out, I'll need a ride for down there...RE does sell in CR--it's probably better to go with Honda as they have lots of support, but the Himalaya looks promising.
 
Gold, based on the travel videos I’ve seen, the Himalayan would make a an incredibly capable apocalypse bike, especially with side mounts for auxiliary gas cans and luggage racks. For me however, the nearest RE dealer is 15 miles away and only stocks one or two Himalayans at a time. I’ve got KTM, Honda and BMW dealerships within just a few miles of flat ground. Failing all efforts to obtain a capable off-roader, I’d keep the Bonneville due to its long production run and parts availability and fashion myself as a wasteland dandy.

It would be an ok commuter in more densely populated areas of L.A. where narrow width and ability to shrug off bad pavement would be more of a priority than speed. If I lived in a more urban area of the SoCal landscape, I’d be all over a Himalayan.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Gold, based on the travel videos I’ve seen, the Himalayan would make a an incredibly capable apocalypse bike, especially with side mounts for auxiliary gas cans and luggage racks. For me however, the nearest RE dealer is 15 miles away and only stocks one or two Himalayans at a time. I’ve got KTM, Honda and BMW dealerships within just a few miles of flat ground. Failing all efforts to obtain a capable off-roader, I’d keep the Bonneville due to its long production run and parts availability and fashion myself as a wasteland dandy.

It would be an ok commuter in more densely populated areas of L.A. where narrow width and ability to shrug off bad pavement would be more of a priority than speed. If I lived in a more urban area of the SoCal landscape, I’d be all over a Himalayan.
I agree regarding LA and the Bonnie. Good until the asphalt and concrete starts to heave and weeds take over the cracks. The Bonnie should have ample parts supply in the abandoned warehouses.
 
Back
Top