Random thoughts

The ferret_imp said:
The CB 1100 comes with one of two types of chain. DID or RK (mine is an RK) Here's what the mfg of the chain suggests for maintenance

http://global.rk-japan.co.jp/products/technical-report/maintenance/

Here is what DID advises

http://www.didchain.com/chainMaintenance.html

I believe these recommendations are echoed by Honda in your owners manual only I believe I read Honda suggests 80 wt gear oil as a lubricant (been 4 years since I opened my owners manual so that could be wrong)

My personal maintenance was a bit less than what they all recommend. When it looks dry or gets noisy or after I've ridden in the rain, I lube it. I currently have 35,469 miles on my chain, but have a new RK chain and sprockets on hand ready to install or have installed one of these days. (Can't believe what a chain and sprockets costs these days)
I was surprized when they shows bare hands while doing chain maintenance. I assume the chemicals in chain cleaners and lubes are not good for one's health. I dust my hands with baby powder and wear inexpensive nitrate gloves. That keeps my hands clean and safe from sprayed chemicals.

As suggested I do spray the cleaner on paper shop towels rather than all over the chain, swing arm and garage floor. It would be difficult to hold paper towels behind the chain with one hand, the spray can cleaner in the another, and turn the rear wheel with a third. :huh:

From the recycle bin, I use a store flyer or two under the chain to catch any excess chain lube. Like Lemmy HD of Revzilla fame, I now apply chain lube by using the sprocket as a guide for the plastic spray can tube. That way it gets on the chain rollers not the swing arm, spokes, rim, rear tire and garage floor.
 
A carefully deconstructed cardboard beer carton laid under the rear wheel and chain is a simple and effective protector for the garage floor. A bonus is emptying said box for use. :beerchug:
 
Cormanus_imp said:
A carefully deconstructed cardboard beer carton laid under the rear wheel and chain is a simple and effective protector for the garage floor. A bonus is emptying said box for use. :beerchug:
I lost my taste for beer when I discovered wine. We only use beer for marinating spare ribs. It softens, moistens and adds a slight taste to them.

I do have a 1/8" x 24" x 48" piece of hardboard that I park my CB on. I slide that under the bike before lubing the chain. The store flyers are added to keep it reasonably clean.
 
Ah, Nortoon, I'm sorry. Mine happens to be a carefully deconstructed cardboard beer case, but I'm a man of catholic taste, so it could just as easily be wine, of which, happily, I am also very fond. The point, I guess, is that are many satisfying ways of coming up with a way of protecting the garage floor from chain lube.
 
Do you know how many broken down Lipton Tea Bag boxes it takes to cover the floor beneath the CB? Glad I love tea!
 
:rofl: You probably drink enough tea to cover the floor with the little tabs attached to the string!
 
Cormanus_imp said:
:rofl: You probably drink enough tea to cover the floor with the little tabs attached to the string!

:rofl: yea, I probably do
 
I'm surprised that Honda still recommends 80weight gear oil to lube the chain. That's what they recommended back in the days before o-ring chains.

Back then a heavy and relatively sticky lube was required to penetrate the rollers and stay there for awhile. It was messy and to you had to do it every few hundred miles if you wanted you chain to last 10K miles.

A sealed o-ring or x-ring chain just doesn't need a thick, heavy lube like that. A light silicone or Teflon based lube does the job nicely and doesn't attract much dirt and grit. I used to use DuPont silicone/teflon until they came out with their Chain Saver product, which keeps the chain even cleaner. A quick spritz every 500 miles (or whenever the chain gets noisy) and I'm good to go. I do it (carefully) on the center stand with the bike idling in 1st and it takes less than a minute.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I'm thinking about whether to use my moderator's powers to remove that offensive image Stichill. :D

However, it occurs to me that those who want a 'like' button already have one. :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:
 
I bought an inexpensive wall paper tray from a big box store and use that under the chain when I lube it. It is long enough that it covers the entire length, can be wiped up (with same paper towels used to lube) and reused time and again.
 
Back
Top