Ram X phone holder questions

Thread starter
Wagonpeddler_imp said:
Guess I'm just old fashioned...and old. My bike came with a phone mount and 12v/USB charger. I removed them both as I didn't like the clutter blocking the gauges. I did, however, get a helmet with a Bluetooth mike, so I could answer a call.
:rofl: yep, you sound old fashioned

actually I agree with you for the most part and I don't normally run a phone or GPS set up, but have 2 out of state trips coming up and want a GPS for those.
 
Ferret - you already have the Ram ball on the NC, so it would make sense to use a Ram ball on the CB so you can easily move the mounting bracket (X-mount or otherwise) from bike to bike.

I find (and this is a matter of opinion) that I don't use the audio directions on my navigation app. I have my phone mounted at about the same height as my right mirror and it's easy enough for me to glance down to see where the next turn is. The nav app i use is just zoomed in enough to make it easy to see and also get advance notice of the upcoming intersection.
 
My friends dad still writes down the map quest turn by turn directions on blue painters tape and then places it on his motorcycle tank so he can read the directions step by step as we go.

I love when he sets up a ride on the weekend and I get to see him lead the way with his painters tape directions!

I shouod mention we typically ride through 2 or 3 states when he sets the ride and we've never missed a turn!

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
mvk24_imp said:
My friends dad still writes down the map quest turn by turn directions on blue painters tape and then places it on his motorcycle tank so he can read the directions step by step as we go.

I love when he sets up a ride on the weekend and I get to see him lead the way with his painters tape directions!

I shouod mention we typically ride through 2 or 3 states when he sets the ride and we've never missed a turn!

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Man, I really LIKE this. Now I have yet another use for blue painter's tape. I have to admit I have never taken a long ride on a bike, but in a closed vehicle, I prefer to make a list (on paper) of the turns, landmarks, etc., and follow that. Our most recent vehicle, a 2017 Honda CRV has gotten me used to using the GPS on the phone, but I still like my written notes. The blue painter's tape is genius. Thanks
:thanks::beerchug:
 
Thread starter
mvk24_imp said:
My friends dad still writes down the map quest turn by turn directions on blue painters tape and then places it on his motorcycle tank so he can read the directions step by step as we go.

I love when he sets up a ride on the weekend and I get to see him lead the way with his painters tape directions!

I shouod mention we typically ride through 2 or 3 states when he sets the ride and we've never missed a turn!

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Like this? (from our Men's Fall Trip last year)

7e473915c51fd475217423be526afd51.jpg
 
The ferret_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
My friends dad still writes down the map quest turn by turn directions on blue painters tape and then places it on his motorcycle tank so he can read the directions step by step as we go.

I love when he sets up a ride on the weekend and I get to see him lead the way with his painters tape directions!

I shouod mention we typically ride through 2 or 3 states when he sets the ride and we've never missed a turn!

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Like this? (from our Men's Fall Trip last year)

7e473915c51fd475217423be526afd51.jpg
Like this? (from our Men's Fall Trip last year)

98fa53df79cc9f576d3fe06a938b9fd9.jpg
Basically but he actually puts 2 strips of blue tape from the gauges to his seat on the tank and writes the directions from top to bottom with a sharpie.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Hey, don't laugh at me...even though I use the Iph google map, I often use sticky notes on the inside of my windshield when I'm riding in new a area.
Always have traditional map as a backup in my Givi top box.
:biker:
 
... I just late last week threw out a coiled-spine map that I bought in 2011, but never used.

Since the epoch of Android mobile devices, I never looked back.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Do you need your phone constantly charged? I only charge mine every other day now.
If you’re using it as a GPS and the display is on, the battery will go flat quickly. Keeping it charged is highly desirable.

You have a headset for communicating, don’t you, Ferret? That will connect to your phone via Bluetooth so you can hear GPS instructions.
 
Thread starter
I do have a headset for talking to my wife in a second helmet. Have no idea how to connect it to my phone though lol.
 
I’m sure we can find you some instructions.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I do have a headset for talking to my wife in a second helmet. Have no idea how to connect it to my phone though lol.
Ask younger generation family members, sons, nephews...they will do it for you fast!
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I do have a headset for talking to my wife in a second helmet. Have no idea how to connect it to my phone though lol.
Ask younger generation family members, sons, nephews...they will do it for you fast!
Ask younger generation family members, sons, nephews...they will do it for you fast!
darn the grandkids just went home :rolleyes:
hey I found a video on it

Google Search

or written

https://www.cardosystems.com/wp-content/uploads/guides/manual/en/freecom4.pdf
 
This rider actually loses his mobile phone from his RAM X-Grip because he didn't mesh it down ...




Look at 2:50 and then at 3:04.

March 24, 2022.
 
Thread starter
that road is a bit rougher than the ones I ride on lol
 
It’s funny… right now Mrs. Gone and I are on a long driving vacation. We’re doing all of our navigation on our phones but she loves having a big old atlas on her lap the whole time to see where we’re going.
 
Thread starter
:rofl:

That is a thing about phones or GPS's in that you are seeing your route in tiny little bits at a time. Good when it comes to turns, bad if you are on a long straight stretch or not making any turns.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
It’s funny… right now Mrs. Gone and I are on a long driving vacation. We’re doing all of our navigation on our phones but she loves having a big old atlas on her lap the whole time to see where we’re going.
Gone, wouldn’t it be more adventures and exiting if she was equipped with a globe instead of a flat atlas... just saying :P
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
Ferret - you already have the Ram ball on the NC, so it would make sense to use a Ram ball on the CB so you can easily move the mounting bracket (X-mount or otherwise) from bike to bike.

I find (and this is a matter of opinion) that I don't use the audio directions on my navigation app. I have my phone mounted at about the same height as my right mirror and it's easy enough for me to glance down to see where the next turn is. The nav app i use is just zoomed in enough to make it easy to see and also get advance notice of the upcoming intersection.
I do like "seeing" the turns coming up and the distance to them as opposed to just hearing it. Also being able to see gas stations and restaurants up ahead is a bonus too.

On my testing the other day on the NC I couldn't really hear the turn by turn directions, but I could faintly hear the prompt which made me glance at the GPS.

I think for my use, the mounted Tom Tom One may do the trick. I don't know that I am comfortable using my phone mounted on the ram X due to vibration, sun, heat on the phone etc.
 
Back
Top