Ram X phone holder questions

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Anyone use one?

Any issues?

I have a late model smart phone in an Otterbox case that measures 3 1/8" across. Do you think one would hold it securely?

Have never considered using my phone for a GPS before, but thinking about it now.

Never had much use for a navigation system (usually use paper maps) but considering coming into the modern age :rolleyes:
 
I use one for a Garmin GPS. Holds it fine. I do use the X mount rubber strap as I am paranoid...
 
I used the X mount for years. I liked it fine, but gave it to Cheryl for her bike and decided to try the Quad-lock case. Problem with Quad-Lock is you have to buy the case that locks to the mount. The X mount is more versatile in my opinion. Like Lord P, I used the rubber straps. Just make sure you order the right size X mount. Oh and check to see if they have a vibration dampener for that -- rumors are that the vibration can mess with your iPhone camera, but I never had a problem. I bought the vibration-dampener for my Quad-lock though, just in case.
 
I use the RAM X-Grip. It is reliable and will hold devices up to 4.5" wide.

I use it all the time rain and shine with a Samsung Galaxy phone to provide GPS navigation guidance. No problems with my Samsung Galaxy camera.
 
I have X Ram holder and 've been using it for the last two years with no issues at all.
I've already ditched using my Garmin as GPS and use my Iphone instead, one device serves all purpose.
My handlebar is equipped with a USB charger that powers my phone when using, riding or needed.
Cannot go wrong with this modern and convenient setup.
The X Ram comes in different sizes, so choose correctly to your needs/phone.

4d1a9c81fdc711a9a9e540f90d084f49.jpg


86fbc54b00b2cc8139adcd3a0e5278ce.jpg
 
Thread starter
Do you need your phone constantly charged? I only charge mine every other day now.
 
Something else worth considering as it lets you keep your phone in your pocket. Of course, your needs and preferences will vary ... (click on image)

In addition, you will less likely need to plug your phone into a USB socket as your phone screen remains off. The BeelineMoto battery charge lasts up to 30 hours and communicates Bluetooth with your phone. In short: No cables.

 
Thread starter
That's pretty wild
 
Used the Ram X-Grip mount at my last job to hold a phone to the steering wheel of a racing shifter kart. The phone was the dash display. With no suspension you can't get much more of a torture test, and they held the phones just fine. Nowadays when I'm riding and need GPS directions, I put in a single Bluetooth earbud for voice directions and keep the phone in my pocket. I doubt I'd be able to see the phone in bright sunlight, and it shuts down if it overheats in the sun.
 
I've used the Ram X for years. Just make sure you use the X Grip rubber tether. I had a phone pop out on a severe bump when I wasn't using the tether. Only thing that saved it was that it was plugged into the usb. :rolleyes:
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Used the Ram X-Grip mount at my last job to hold a phone to the steering wheel of a racing shifter kart. The phone was the dash display. With no suspension you can't get much more of a torture test, and they held the phones just fine. Nowadays when I'm riding and need GPS directions, I put in a single Bluetooth earbud for voice directions and keep the phone in my pocket. I doubt I'd be able to see the phone in bright sunlight, and it shuts down if it overheats in the sun.
I had a buddy that used what he called a dongle to blue tooth from his phone to his ear, but I never really understood how that works. Gone if you can explain a bit to me how that works, that could be interesting.

Tonight I dug out an old Tom Tom GPS I had years ago,. Tom Tom updated the maps (lifetime free maps) and I mounted it up on the NC for grins.

c9255b40251e5595477c0e02b95ee135.jpg


I don't think you can program it for a specific route, it's more a destination quickest way or shortest way thing, but I will play with it and decide what I want to do for the CB.
 
That looks like an early generation Tom Tom One.

I had one of those too. Okay for its time. I think only once it tried to direct me into Lake Ontario when travelling in Buffalo, NY. It was one of those weird moments you only read about on the internet.

= = =

Google Maps on a modern mobile phone can route audio turn-by-turn prompting via a Bluetooth device (e.g. an ear or headset affixed to your helmet) and transcoded and amplified to a set of speakers.

" ... Turn right in 900 meters ... "

" ... Turn right in 100 meters ... "

" ... Turn right, turn right ... Ferret!" :)

A modern dedicated (and hopefully waterproof) motorcycle GPS has Bluetooth capabilities too.
 
I know alot or guys like the ram mounts and a few of my buddies use them with their super sports which I can understanding when you're doing those speeds. But I use just the generic mounts from Amazon and I've gotten the same kind of generic mount from a seller at Laconia bike week and they work just as well.

Its the same concept of going into a regular clamp like a car phone mount but then have the rubber web that goes over each corner like how a ram uses the metal cross bars.

I also use Waze mostly but the CaliMoto app is motorcycle specific and incredible for logging rides and finding rides.

You can sort routes to your Destination by how windy the roads will be along the way haha.

I like tracking my touring rides with CaliMoto to have a map view of my trips. This is one of them for instance.
0b893a60e74c334b8a90aa11d9a7ceb5.jpg


2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Thread starter
Yea Mrs Ferret and I used it when we took one of our outwest trips on the ST, I think the PNW one...Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and Wyoming around 2010 or 2012.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Something else worth considering as it lets you keep your phone in your pocket. Of course, your needs and preferences will vary ... (click on image)

In addition, you will less likely need to plug your phone into a USB socket as your phone screen remains off. The BeelineMoto battery charge lasts up to 30 hours and communicates Bluetooth with your phone. In short: No cables.


Thats very cool, but I wonder if I would still get "police reported ahead" on it like when I use Waze.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
mvk24_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Something else worth considering as it lets you keep your phone in your pocket. Of course, your needs and preferences will vary ... (click on image)

In addition, you will less likely need to plug your phone into a USB socket as your phone screen remains off. The BeelineMoto battery charge lasts up to 30 hours and communicates Bluetooth with your phone. In short: No cables.


Thats very cool, but I wonder if I would still get "police reported ahead" on it like when I use Waze.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca

Hmm...wouldn't you feel much safer if police was just beside you instead of being ahead..?? :P
 
peterbaron_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Something else worth considering as it lets you keep your phone in your pocket. Of course, your needs and preferences will vary ... (click on image)

In addition, you will less likely need to plug your phone into a USB socket as your phone screen remains off. The BeelineMoto battery charge lasts up to 30 hours and communicates Bluetooth with your phone. In short: No cables.


Thats very cool, but I wonder if I would still get "police reported ahead" on it like when I use Waze.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca

Hmm...wouldn't you feel much safer if police was just beside you instead of being ahead..?? :P

Hmm...wouldn't you feel much safer if police was just beside you instead of being ahead..?? Haha it's just nice to know to slow down sometimes!

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Roam Handlebar Bike Phone Mount - Universal, Adjustable Bicycle Phone Holder for Motorcycle, Classic, Electric and Mountain Bike - Compatible with iPhone & Android Devices [url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWDCSIZ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_FN2N0XKYGMX401KTAZD4]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWDCSIZ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_FN2N0XKYGMX401KTAZD4


I've been using these roam mounts through their 2 or 3 generations of design with no issues. I have this one on 3 of my bikes the past few years. Its 30% off that 17$ price right now also if you want another option over the RAM. Its got 49,000 5 star reviews on amazon.
519b8fe926aa155a198808d0dbb0ada9.jpg


2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Ferret, Bluetooth earbuds are basically small headphones that connect to your phone wirelessly. It pairs to your phone, so you don’t need to have it out. I use a slim single earbud that fits comfortably in my ear with a helmet on. I get the phone’s directions in one ear and the other is free.

I seldom use Waze while riding. The police spotted warnings are handy, but you get many other needles and distracting warnings like a car stopped on the shoulder, etc. I tend to save Waze for the car and use Google Maps on the bike.
 
Guess I'm just old fashioned...and old. My bike came with a phone mount and 12v/USB charger. I removed them both as I didn't like the clutter blocking the gauges. I did, however, get a helmet with a Bluetooth mike, so I could answer a call.
 
Wagonpeddler_imp said:
Guess I'm just old fashioned...and old. My bike came with a phone mount and 12v/USB charger. I removed them both as I didn't like the clutter blocking the gauges. I did, however, get a helmet with a Bluetooth mike, so I could answer a call.
That is indeed a compromise Wagonpeddler, yeah. On the beautiful CB1100, phone cradles, 12V-to-USB adapters and wires create a "dash trash" eye sore. And for some depending on your neighbourhood safety, some of that trash has to be removed and restored each time the bike is mounted in a public, unsecured location. This is especially true if the CB is left alone for 8 to 10 hours a day. A RAM X-Grip alone is worth the effort for would-be punks. Mine is locked down with an RAM dial lock since the CB used to left alone baking all day in a parking lot.
 
Back
Top