Quitting voluntarily

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Shocked I am

Just got an email from my riding buddy Jim. Many will remember our trip in June, when Jim and I rode from our homes in Ohio to the Pacific ocean and back.

Bucket List ride

The year before we rode down to Maggie Valley and the Dragon together.

BRP, the Dragon and more part 1

BRP, the Dragon and more Part 2

the year before that we toured the back roads of West Virginia when he accompanied us on that years Fall Mens Ride

just last Thursday I rode up to meet him for lunch and then we went for a nice ride

Some pics from Sept 4 ride

At 63, Jim retired about the same time I did last year. A dedicated motorcyclist. Since I have known him he has had a Harley Fat Boy, an 1200 Sportster, a couple Yamahas FZ-1s, a Yamaha FJR, a couple Kawasakis Versys, a Suzuki DL 1000. He has been riding since the 70's.

Well the email I got at 5:30 am said he had sold his bike and was quitting riding. I just can not imagine quitting voluntarily. My second riding buddy to just up and sell their bikes and quit after many many years of riding. ( the second one has had some health issues at 68 years old).

I am in shock. I know Jim reads this forum, so Jim if you see this, I'm going to miss riding with you, it's been a real pleasure. If you change your mond, give me a call and we will ride!

Any one else have any good riding buddies that just up and gave it up?
 
I can think of only a handful of reasons to quit riding.
Age or Health.
Raising a family.
Need the money.
Had a big scare while riding, either to themselves,or witnessed a bad crash.
Just got bored with riding and want to try a new hobby.
 
This is such a personal decision and I'm sure your friend gave this much thought before hand and for him, this is right.

My younger brother gave up riding a few years back when he became the sole care giver for a quadriplegic man. He felt that the risks of riding were too great and that he had an obligation to this person to stay in good health. My brother misses riding, something he has done all his life, but feels his decision to be the right one.
 
Thread starter
Sorry, Hiker, not me...heck I love riding. No intentions to quit here.

Redbirds..I'm sure it was an agonizing decision. Do not look forward to the day when I have to say " that was my last ride"
 
My brother, and long time ride budy quit riding two years ago. I got him into serious riding maybe 15 years ago. He wanted to get a HD Sportster, and I told him he should consider something that corners a bit better. I renter a Monster 620 for him, and he was hooked.

He bought the Monster, and we would go on some great rides together. He then changed to a Aprilia Tuono, while I got my Corsaro, and our pace increased a bit. Convinced him to attend the California Superbike School, and we had probably the best week together in our lives at Phillip Island.

Two years ago after a ride he told me he felt scared. I figured it would pass as we all have our off days, but he ended up selling his bike, and hasn't been riding since.

I still have hope he will pick it up again, but I know he needs to feel confident in his mind. As he is tempted to try my CB11, I am quite sure that he will realize that you can take it easy and enjoy the riding too. We shall see, but I really miss riding with him.
 
Thread starter
Wow Henrik, that is a tough one.

My brother actually quit for about 10 years, but got back into it about 5 or 6 years ago. We ride together at least 1 day a week, sometimes more. I missed riding with him while he was on hiatus, but he had decided he was done. Luckily for both of us he wasn't. Hopefully your brother will return as well.
 
People have their reasons. Its a risk every time you leave the house. I am at the age I know what they are. When I was in my teens and early 20s I thought I was indestructable and did some really really foolish things. Its a wonder I was not killed right then. Times change and now there is so much more traffic. I have a buddy that quit riding back in the early 80s after he had to bail off a old Honda 750 and cleaned out a ditch when a dump truck pulled out in front of him. He just got back into riding only this time on a Can Am Spyder which is super safe imo.

Years ago I used to have a terrible fear of someone rear ending me and now that has shifted to somebody coming around a corner in my lane. Dont ask me why because I dont know. I am just more aware probably now than ever to things that can go wrong. I have 3 good riding buddies and told them all if I get killed or something that I was doing what I loved to do. There may come a day when I make the choice to park it but not for now.
 
My best friend has quit due to his daughter being involved in an accident. I got him to ride my 1100 a couple of times, but he said the fire or desire just isn't there anymore. Even bigger for him I believe is if he starts riding again, his two sons will too, so like a good parent living by example, he's given them up, otherwise he's giving his blessing for his sons to start again. I’m lucky, my son is in Japan, so he couldn't ride mine if he wanted to.

I'm also lucky that I've never had any major accidents. The old once bitten, twice shy thing...I've never been bitten so I'm not shy. For example, in my experience a lot of kids enjoy baseball or fastpitch softball until they take a hit and they're done. Or like several gymnasts I know, reached elite level, trained their whole lives, daily and have one fall on the beam or one bad landing tumbling, etc. and they lose their nerve. I'm not sure how well the "get back on the horse" thing really works, but it must work for some.

I don't ride a lot of miles, but I do see lots of places and situations that could turn into close calls. I've had my share but as they say when dodging a bullet, an inch is as good as a mile.
I block out what could happen in a crash and that could be healthy or unhealthy, I’m not sure. I know after a major car accident, for a while I was a worse driver because I was over cautious, too hesitant. There is probably a lot of truth in the saying if you read about it or see a video about it, it’s easily forgotten. If you live it or experience it, it stays with you forever.

Right now I’m just happy my mind is not clouded with any major bad experiences that would ruin my enjoyment I get from riding!
 
This decision may seem sudden, but I think this is something that has been on his mind for some time and he just didn't share it with you.
But then events in his life may have suddenly changed bringing on this decision. It's a toss up.
As has already been said, there could be a dozen reasons for quitting.
He has his reasons, and in time may share them with you, but I would let him come to you rather than press him about it.
 
Personally, I can't imagine not riding a motorcycle, but, there will come a day... Until then, I'll ride it like I stole it! TINK
 
That's what CanAm's and Trikes are for! Unless my kids just take
away the license, I hope to be riding something until my last days.
I have 20+ years when I wasn't riding to make up!
 
I came back to bikes in 1992 after being away for 34 years and the past 22 years have been some of the best of my life.
I think (hope) I have enough good sense to know when to quit riding if I'm unsafe to myself and others, but I don't think I could go the trike route.
It just wouldn't be the same in the curves.
 
Thread starter
Maybe by that time Rocky they will develop trikes that lean..... not counting Piaggios MP3 Scooter although not counting it out either. I rode one the other day, pretty impressive, but you still have to put your feet down at a light or you will fall over. You can lock a lever to hold it upright at a stop, which disengages when you take off. But like Rocky I think the leaning is part of the motorcycle experience.
 
Mickey,

Google "Let's Ride Motorcycles" and a Utube video of 6 very old Taiwanese men who are all dying in nursing homes decide to start riding again. It's a very powerful story and true to boot. Watch it.

Chip
 
That's how I feel about riding; sweeping through the bends and curves is the motorcycle experience.
I live in a province with a rugged and jagged coastline with plenty of roads that follow the shores. These are the roads I head for when I want to have some fun and a great ride. Mix in the small coastal villages and towns with great seafood and I've got it made.
Of course we have the super slabs to drone on if that's your thing, but I use them only to get somewhere in a hurry - usually to a coastal road :D
 
Thread starter
ChipBeck_imp said:
Mickey,

Google "Let's Ride Motorcycles" and a Utube video of 6 very old Taiwanese men who are all dying in nursing homes decide to start riding again. It's a very powerful story and true to boot. Watch it.

Chip
I have seen that Chip. powerful stuff. Thanks for the reminder. Will have to go watch it again ( and be sure to have my tissues handy..I'm a softy for stuff like that)
 
The ferret_imp said:
ChipBeck_imp said:
Mickey,

Google "Let's Ride Motorcycles" and a Utube video of 6 very old Taiwanese men who are all dying in nursing homes decide to start riding again. It's a very powerful story and true to boot. Watch it.

Chip
I have seen that Chip. powerful stuff. Thanks for the reminder. Will have to go watch it again ( and be sure to have my tissues handy..I'm a softy for stuff like that)
(Tom Hanks impression) There's no crying in motorcycling!
 
Thread starter
:rofl: sorry :-/
 
Back
Top