Quick Turn Throttle

olekzap_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
G2 Street Competition Quick Turn Throttle for Buell

Has anyone here tried one of these on the CB1100 before? It's something I've been wanting to do for a long time now. I've always felt like the throttle on our bikes takes too much movement. I think reducing that movement would fit my riding style much better.

How hard would something like this be to install? They have a model that fits the CB1100 so I would hope it wouldn't be too difficult but I don't have any experience with taking the throttle grip apart. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
 
I think there is a How to on one. Let me go look.

I'm back :D Actually its for a Throttle Tamer, but honestly, installing a new throttle grip is not really hard and pretty much the same for all of them. Throttle Tamer install
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I think there is a How to on one. Let me go look.

I'm back :D Actually its for a Throttle Tamer, but honestly, installing a new throttle grip is not really hard and pretty much the same for all of them. Throttle Tamer install
That looks like exactly what I needed. Thanks! Doesn't look like too hard of a job. If I go through with it I'll report back.
 
olekzap,

Did you notice the single review by a 2014 CB1100 owner on the G2Ergo web site? He seemed satisfied.

I put a similar quick turn throttle on my Vulcan 1700 and it made a big difference, but those bikes were known for a slow throttle.

On the 1100 I'd be worried that it might become too sensitive at parking lot speeds, but apparently different camming options are available. And, be prepared to remove the tank in order to access the secondary cable adjustments on the throttle bodies. You likely will need to add more slack in the cables to install and to compensate for the taller camming in the new throttle tube. I know that my adjustments at the throttle are currently maxed just to get minimal throttle free-play.
 
Thread starter
Gumby 1100_imp said:
olekzap,

Did you notice the single review by a 2014 CB1100 owner on the G2Ergo web site? He seemed satisfied.

I put a similar quick turn throttle on my Vulcan 1700 and it made a big difference, but those bikes were known for a slow throttle.

On the 1100 I'd be worried that it might become too sensitive at parking lot speeds, but apparently different camming options are available. And, be prepared to remove the tank in order to access the secondary cable adjustments on the throttle bodies. You likely will need to add more slack in the cables to install and to compensate for the taller camming in the new throttle tube. I know that my adjustments at the throttle are currently maxed just to get minimal throttle free-play.
I did see his, part of why I decided to look into it. I went ahead and ordered it. I'm interested to see how it is. Thanks for the heads up on the tank, I hadn't thought of that. Hopefully I can get it on there without going through that but we'll see.
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
olekzap,

Did you notice the single review by a 2014 CB1100 owner on the G2Ergo web site? He seemed satisfied.

I put a similar quick turn throttle on my Vulcan 1700 and it made a big difference, but those bikes were known for a slow throttle.

On the 1100 I'd be worried that it might become too sensitive at parking lot speeds, but apparently different camming options are available. And, be prepared to remove the tank in order to access the secondary cable adjustments on the throttle bodies. You likely will need to add more slack in the cables to install and to compensate for the taller camming in the new throttle tube. I know that my adjustments at the throttle are currently maxed just to get minimal throttle free-play.
At slow speeds, good clutch control will fix any jerkiness.

Quote:And, be prepared to remove the tank in order to access the secondary cable adjustments on the throttle bodies. You likely will need to add more slack in the cables to install and to compensate for the taller camming in the new throttle tube.
The slack in his cable shouldn't change.
 
AzBob_imp said:
Gumby 1100_imp said:
olekzap,

Did you notice the single review by a 2014 CB1100 owner on the G2Ergo web site? He seemed satisfied.

I put a similar quick turn throttle on my Vulcan 1700 and it made a big difference, but those bikes were known for a slow throttle.

On the 1100 I'd be worried that it might become too sensitive at parking lot speeds, but apparently different camming options are available. And, be prepared to remove the tank in order to access the secondary cable adjustments on the throttle bodies. You likely will need to add more slack in the cables to install and to compensate for the taller camming in the new throttle tube. I know that my adjustments at the throttle are currently maxed just to get minimal throttle free-play.
At slow speeds, good clutch control will fix any jerkiness.

Quote:And, be prepared to remove the tank in order to access the secondary cable adjustments on the throttle bodies. You likely will need to add more slack in the cables to install and to compensate for the taller camming in the new throttle tube.
The slack in his cable shouldn't change.
In a perfect world it might not, but that depends how far apart the two anchor points are on the new throttle tube. If they are further apart than stock, then it may help with installation.

Having removed a few throttle tubes on various bikes, I can say that it makes removal and then installation of the new one much easier if you can first introduce some slack, then adjust them appropriately. Without slack it can be a struggle and you risk damaging or kinking the cable if you try prying the end anchors out. On my 2014 CB I would not be able to introduce any more slack without accessing the adjustment points on the throttle bodies.
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
AzBob_imp said:
Gumby 1100_imp said:
olekzap,

Did you notice the single review by a 2014 CB1100 owner on the G2Ergo web site? He seemed satisfied.

I put a similar quick turn throttle on my Vulcan 1700 and it made a big difference, but those bikes were known for a slow throttle.

On the 1100 I'd be worried that it might become too sensitive at parking lot speeds, but apparently different camming options are available. And, be prepared to remove the tank in order to access the secondary cable adjustments on the throttle bodies. You likely will need to add more slack in the cables to install and to compensate for the taller camming in the new throttle tube. I know that my adjustments at the throttle are currently maxed just to get minimal throttle free-play.
At slow speeds, good clutch control will fix any jerkiness.

Quote:And, be prepared to remove the tank in order to access the secondary cable adjustments on the throttle bodies. You likely will need to add more slack in the cables to install and to compensate for the taller camming in the new throttle tube.
The slack in his cable shouldn't change.
In a perfect world it might not, but that depends how far apart the two anchor points are on the new throttle tube. If they are further apart than stock, then it may help with installation.

Having removed a few throttle tubes on various bikes, I can say that it makes removal and then installation of the new one much easier if you can first introduce some slack, then adjust them appropriately. Without slack it can be a struggle and you risk damaging or kinking the cable if you try prying the end anchors out. On my 2014 CB I would not be able to introduce any more slack without accessing the adjustment points on the throttle bodies.
In a perfect world it might not, but that depends how far apart the two anchor points are on the new throttle tube. If they are further apart than stock, then it may help with installation.
Ah, true.

On mine, IIRC, I believe there is quite a bit of slack, and I have it all adjusted out because I don't like a sloppy throttle grip.
 
I installed the Throttle Tamer and regret it every time I ride. For me, the original throttle felt better than the G2. I will remove it one of these days.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
I installed the Throttle Tamer and regret it every time I ride. For me, the original throttle felt better than the G2. I will remove it one of these days.
Does the tamer make it so there is more rotation required to open the throttle all the way or does it just change how quickly it opens from idle? I can't imagine anyone wanting more throttle movement on this motorcycle.
 
Thread starter
Gumby 1100_imp said:
olekzap,

Did you notice the single review by a 2014 CB1100 owner on the G2Ergo web site? He seemed satisfied.

I put a similar quick turn throttle on my Vulcan 1700 and it made a big difference, but those bikes were known for a slow throttle.

On the 1100 I'd be worried that it might become too sensitive at parking lot speeds, but apparently different camming options are available. And, be prepared to remove the tank in order to access the secondary cable adjustments on the throttle bodies. You likely will need to add more slack in the cables to install and to compensate for the taller camming in the new throttle tube. I know that my adjustments at the throttle are currently maxed just to get minimal throttle free-play.
I finally got around to this last night and unfortunately you are correct Gumby. There is no way to introduce enough slack to install the quick turn throttle. I removed all slack from the adjustment at the throttle and loosened the bars but could not get it on. The two holes are closer together on the quick turn than on the stock tube.

I'll have to look into the adjustment at the throttle bodies. Any idea if it's possible to reach them without removing the tank or if the tank is difficult to remove? I'm going to look around this forum and see what I can find out.

Edit: I found this video.

Removing the tank looks very simple. Now to see how and where the cable connects to the throttle bodies.
 
olekzap_imp said:
Gumby 1100_imp said:
olekzap,

Did you notice the single review by a 2014 CB1100 owner on the G2Ergo web site? He seemed satisfied.

I put a similar quick turn throttle on my Vulcan 1700 and it made a big difference, but those bikes were known for a slow throttle.

On the 1100 I'd be worried that it might become too sensitive at parking lot speeds, but apparently different camming options are available. And, be prepared to remove the tank in order to access the secondary cable adjustments on the throttle bodies. You likely will need to add more slack in the cables to install and to compensate for the taller camming in the new throttle tube. I know that my adjustments at the throttle are currently maxed just to get minimal throttle free-play.
I finally got around to this last night and unfortunately you are correct Gumby. There is no way to introduce enough slack to install the quick turn throttle. I removed all slack from the adjustment at the throttle and loosened the bars but could not get it on. The two holes are closer together on the quick turn than on the stock tube.

I'll have to look into the adjustment at the throttle bodies. Any idea if it's possible to reach them without removing the tank or if the tank is difficult to remove? I'm going to look around this forum and see what I can find out.

Edit: I found this video.

Removing the tank looks very simple. Now to see how and where the cable connects to the throttle bodies.
I was reading my shop manual a few weeks ago concerning adjustment of throttle freeplay and I don't believe that it made any reference to removing the tank when adjusting the cable ends at the throttle body...I had just assumed that it would be easier to access them with the tank removed.

If you have dexterous fingers, you might be able to get the wrenches required into position near the throttle body without removing the tank.

I may have to try that myself soon since I have only about 1-2mm of throttle play with the throttle end adjusters maxed out...I was kind of hoping the cable would stretch a bit with time, but mine seems to be shrinking (the throttle cable, that is!) ;)
 
Thread starter
Gumby 1100_imp said:
olekzap_imp said:
Gumby 1100_imp said:
olekzap,

Did you notice the single review by a 2014 CB1100 owner on the G2Ergo web site? He seemed satisfied.

I put a similar quick turn throttle on my Vulcan 1700 and it made a big difference, but those bikes were known for a slow throttle.

On the 1100 I'd be worried that it might become too sensitive at parking lot speeds, but apparently different camming options are available. And, be prepared to remove the tank in order to access the secondary cable adjustments on the throttle bodies. You likely will need to add more slack in the cables to install and to compensate for the taller camming in the new throttle tube. I know that my adjustments at the throttle are currently maxed just to get minimal throttle free-play.
I finally got around to this last night and unfortunately you are correct Gumby. There is no way to introduce enough slack to install the quick turn throttle. I removed all slack from the adjustment at the throttle and loosened the bars but could not get it on. The two holes are closer together on the quick turn than on the stock tube.

I'll have to look into the adjustment at the throttle bodies. Any idea if it's possible to reach them without removing the tank or if the tank is difficult to remove? I'm going to look around this forum and see what I can find out.

Edit: I found this video.

Removing the tank looks very simple. Now to see how and where the cable connects to the throttle bodies.
I was reading my shop manual a few weeks ago concerning adjustment of throttle freeplay and I don't believe that it made any reference to removing the tank when adjusting the cable ends at the throttle body...I had just assumed that it would be easier to access them with the tank removed.

If you have dexterous fingers, you might be able to get the wrenches required into position near the throttle body without removing the tank.

I may have to try that myself soon since I have only about 1-2mm of throttle play with the throttle end adjusters maxed out...I was kind of hoping the cable would stretch a bit with time, but mine seems to be shrinking (the throttle cable, that is!) ;)
I was reading my shop manual a few weeks ago concerning adjustment of throttle freeplay and I don't believe that it made any reference to removing the tank when adjusting the cable ends at the throttle body...I had just assumed that it would be easier to access them with the tank removed.

If you have dexterous fingers, you might be able to get the wrenches required into position near the throttle body without removing the tank.

I may have to try that myself soon since I have only about 1-2mm of throttle play with the throttle end adjusters maxed out...I was kind of hoping the cable would stretch a bit with time, but mine seems to be shrinking (the throttle cable, that is!) ;)
Thanks Gumby. I don't have a shop manual (need to get one still). Is it easy to find where the throttle cable connects to the throttle bodies?
 
olekzap_imp said:
Gumby 1100_imp said:
olekzap_imp said:
Gumby 1100_imp said:
olekzap,

Did you notice the single review by a 2014 CB1100 owner on the G2Ergo web site? He seemed satisfied.

I put a similar quick turn throttle on my Vulcan 1700 and it made a big difference, but those bikes were known for a slow throttle.

On the 1100 I'd be worried that it might become too sensitive at parking lot speeds, but apparently different camming options are available. And, be prepared to remove the tank in order to access the secondary cable adjustments on the throttle bodies. You likely will need to add more slack in the cables to install and to compensate for the taller camming in the new throttle tube. I know that my adjustments at the throttle are currently maxed just to get minimal throttle free-play.
I finally got around to this last night and unfortunately you are correct Gumby. There is no way to introduce enough slack to install the quick turn throttle. I removed all slack from the adjustment at the throttle and loosened the bars but could not get it on. The two holes are closer together on the quick turn than on the stock tube.

I'll have to look into the adjustment at the throttle bodies. Any idea if it's possible to reach them without removing the tank or if the tank is difficult to remove? I'm going to look around this forum and see what I can find out.

Edit: I found this video.

Removing the tank looks very simple. Now to see how and where the cable connects to the throttle bodies.
I was reading my shop manual a few weeks ago concerning adjustment of throttle freeplay and I don't believe that it made any reference to removing the tank when adjusting the cable ends at the throttle body...I had just assumed that it would be easier to access them with the tank removed.

If you have dexterous fingers, you might be able to get the wrenches required into position near the throttle body without removing the tank.

I may have to try that myself soon since I have only about 1-2mm of throttle play with the throttle end adjusters maxed out...I was kind of hoping the cable would stretch a bit with time, but mine seems to be shrinking (the throttle cable, that is!) ;)
I was reading my shop manual a few weeks ago concerning adjustment of throttle freeplay and I don't believe that it made any reference to removing the tank when adjusting the cable ends at the throttle body...I had just assumed that it would be easier to access them with the tank removed.

If you have dexterous fingers, you might be able to get the wrenches required into position near the throttle body without removing the tank.

I may have to try that myself soon since I have only about 1-2mm of throttle play with the throttle end adjusters maxed out...I was kind of hoping the cable would stretch a bit with time, but mine seems to be shrinking (the throttle cable, that is!) ;)
Thanks Gumby. I don't have a shop manual (need to get one still). Is it easy to find where the throttle cable connects to the throttle bodies?
Very simple,...just follow the throttle cables. ;)

They terminate at a point just left of the centre of the bike above/between the throttle bodies. Both cables appear to have an adjuster barrel/nut, so hopefully you can create enough slack. By the looks of the exposed threading on my one adjuster, I should be able to create at least 1/4" of added slack by turning it in if such becomes necessary.
 
olekzap_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
I installed the Throttle Tamer and regret it every time I ride. For me, the original throttle felt better than the G2. I will remove it one of these days.
Does the tamer make it so there is more rotation required to open the throttle all the way or does it just change how quickly it opens from idle? I can't imagine anyone wanting more throttle movement on this motorcycle.
Throttle Tamers come in several slopes, some ease the throttle on and some actuate it much more quickly than stock.

You can exchange just the "ramp" component once you install their basic throttle, to tune it to your taste.

I installed a standard "easy" ramp on my FZ8, and it helped quite a bit with the snatch fueling. But that is mostly due to the bike's mapping and ECU/hardware so it can't get too much better than it is now.

I tried some other ramps and ended up going back to the easy/standard item.

If you get the Throttle Tamer you can then swap ramps to tune it to your liking. I think there may be as many as five different ramp curves.

It's also a very high-quality piece, with a teflon-lubed throttle tube.
 
Back
Top