Quick shift

sethrose_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
So I have a pcv on my bike I was wondering if anyone has put a quick shift on there cb yet if not this might be something I experiment with among other things I've got in the works for my bike. I like to drag race on the weekends during the summer and people always look at me funny when I pull up next to a sport bike on mine but it has surprised a few guys.
 
OK I'll admit I don't know what a quick shifter is or does (other than quick shift?).

Can someone expound on this subject?
 
Thread starter
A quick shifter hooks on to your shifter lever and plugs into your power commander. Now what it does is when your up shifting it kills the fuel and ignition to the bike to take the load off the transmission. Now you maybe asking why and the answer would be there's no clutching needed. Think power shifting an older bike or an air shifter. Comes in very handy in a drag race because you don't have to let off the gas hold it wide and just shift.
http://www.powercommander.com/power...uickShifter/powercommander_quick_shifter.aspx
 
setrose,

Thank you for the explanation. Now I know how it works and that I'll never need one :)
 
Why would someone buy a CB1100 and want to drag race it? I could think of a few bikes better suited to the task.

What's next, take a Ninja and make it a tourer like a Gold Wing?
 
Most of the challenge of drag racing is being consistent. It's a hoot but not my thing anymore but if the guy wants to beat up his bike this way so be it. In the early 80s I ran my CB360t in the woods as an adventure bike, even launching it off some jumps and hill climbing with it. I enjoyed it at the time, looking back I shake my head.
 
Maybe a gain of a tenth, the gears hook up real quick. This bike gives you plenty of time between shifts whether you want to clutch it or power. Max HP comes around 7800RPM's with correction is 8300 on the Tach, Power shifts at about 8000 will keep you in the meat of the band with out hitting the limiter. The QS will help you from throwing a gear and major repairs.
 
Max HP comes around 7800RPM's with correction is 8300 on the Tach,

Steve, what does this mean?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Max HP comes around 7800RPM's with correction is 8300 on the Tach,

Steve, what does this mean?
Our tachs are off by 500 rpm's , Red line of 8500 is really 8000rpm's When you put them on a dyno you can see the correct RPM's are off by that much.
 
Sad the tach is off. I can understand the speedo being off but the tach that is not acceptable in this digital age.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I would never imagine that. I assume it's some kind of progressive error or else when it's idling it would only be like 500 rpms.
 
I have a wireless tach. I going to have to use it and see how it reads compared to the bike's tach. Can't do it until next week as I'm on Christmas Vacation. 500 RPM difference should be easy to see.

But I can't argue with a dyno reading.
 
Thread starter
Different strokes for different folks. My dad had kawasakis growing up and now has a kz650 and kz1000 I love the look of the 1970's drag bikes and I thought it would be cool to have a modern version of that since the bike looks old. So that's why I wanna do this but I want it to function as well as I like to race it's fun it's only on an 1/8th of a mile but it's not to say I won't race on a 1/4 miles. As for my avatar bike it's the first street bike I bought in boxes it was a stock cb650 but I took the seat faring off a 83 nighthawk and put on it and jetted the carbs pod filters and a 4 into 1 open header drag bars removed the signals and put a led taillight on it nothing to extreme but it's loud and I love to ride it.
ClassicVW_imp said:
Why would someone buy a CB1100 and want to drag race it? I could think of a few bikes better suited to the task.

What's next, take a Ninja and make it a tourer like a Gold Wing?
It's kinda like taking my type 3 VW and building a 2 liter to put in it do you need to? No but it sure is a lot more fun when I do. :) I understand what you mean with the other bikes being more suited for the job but I like to be different and I like this bike.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I would never imagine that. I assume it's some kind of progressive error or else when it's idling it would only be like 500 rpms.
I would think it would be a progressive type error also with the most variance on the high side. This does not actually surprise me but it should be neat for somebody to test out. Its my understanding the CB11 Speedo though is pretty much dead nuts on no matter the speed which is cool.
 
My CB1100 speedo is not dead on at all. At 110 kph by the speedo the GPS says it's actually doing 104 kph.

Ole's report about his 1,000 mile ride around one of the Great Lakes suggest his speedo isn't accurate either.
 
Just to pop this back to the top,

I forgot my Smartach is on loan to a friend and I may not see it for a while. So yesterday I ordered a new one. When it comes in, Ill post what I find with what it reads as compared to the tach.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Just to pop this back to the top,

I forgot my Smartach is on loan to a friend and I may not see it for a while. So yesterday I ordered a new one. When it comes in, Ill post what I find with what it reads as compared to the tach.
My limiter cuts in at 9500RPM's which is 9000 according to the dyno. I've had it bumped 500 when flashed.

Red-line a stock bike, it will cut in at 9000RPM's, but the true value is 8500.
 
Back
Top