Question re jack lift point on oil sump

ohiorider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I'd like to use my centerstand along with a scissors jack when I remove the front wheel, calipers, etc, when removing the forks in preparation for installing the Traxxion Dynamics kit.

Question ..... it's obvious one must be careful to put no weight on the four into one exhaust system.

It appears that Honda may have cast a couple of pieces into the bottom/front of sump, just to the left of the four into one collector, that form a slot where one could slip a piece of scrap wood. The wood would serve as the lift point for the scissors jack.

I've used the center stands + a jack on all my bikes for front wheel removal. Most of them are older bikes, however, with little going on under the sump. I think it'll work. Other suggestions?

Bob

How do the rest of you get the front wheel off the ground when removing the front wheel? (tire changes, for example.)
 
Ohio, Thats what I did when I removed my wheels. I did put a piece of wood between the jack plate and the engine. I just lifted on the pointed things though. Its not like there is a ton of weight.
 
ohiorider_imp said:
I'd like to use my centerstand along with a scissors jack when I remove the front wheel, calipers, etc, when removing the forks in preparation for installing the Traxxion Dynamics kit.

Question ..... it's obvious one must be careful to put no weight on the four into one exhaust system.

It appears that Honda may have cast a couple of pieces into the bottom/front of sump, just to the left of the four into one collector, that form a slot where one could slip a piece of scrap wood. The wood would serve as the lift point for the scissors jack.

I've used the center stands + a jack on all my bikes for front wheel removal. Most of them are older bikes, however, with little going on under the sump. I think it'll work. Other suggestions?

Bob

How do the rest of you get the front wheel off the ground when removing the front wheel? (tire changes, for example.)
Bike on the center stand and some weights on the rear carrier.
 
Do it all the time with an ABBA Stand on the swing arm spindle (no centre stand) and a sicossor jack under the sump. I'm worried about snapping the pointy fin bits off, so I do as you say and put a bit of 2x1 ish on the flat bit in the centre of the sump. Easy.
 
Thread starter
Maybe the next time I post, I can provide somewhat of a ride report with the new fork suspension installed. I'll try to be objective. I ride a couple of sections of road that are very rough on me with the stock suspension and my 160# weight.

I find the Ikon shocks make the bike more pleasurable for me on our less than smooth roads, but don't think I'll be able to report on differences (hopefully improvements) until I do the front fork kit. It's difficult to tell where the really rough hits are coming from, front or rear.

I'll try to document all the hard numbers (fork oil weight/level. etc.)

Bob
 
The most interesting motorcycle front lift I have seen on the Internet was an old swing set frame in the back yard, and boat straps to lift the handlebars.
 
rotor_imp said:
ohiorider_imp said:
I'd like to use my centerstand along with a scissors jack when I remove the front wheel, calipers, etc, when removing the forks in preparation for installing the Traxxion Dynamics kit.

Question ..... it's obvious one must be careful to put no weight on the four into one exhaust system.

It appears that Honda may have cast a couple of pieces into the bottom/front of sump, just to the left of the four into one collector, that form a slot where one could slip a piece of scrap wood. The wood would serve as the lift point for the scissors jack.

I've used the center stands + a jack on all my bikes for front wheel removal. Most of them are older bikes, however, with little going on under the sump. I think it'll work. Other suggestions?

Bob

How do the rest of you get the front wheel off the ground when removing the front wheel? (tire changes, for example.)
Bike on the center stand and some weights on the rear carrier.
That's my thought as well...
I'm thinking a 25 lb bag of rice laid cross-wise on top of the back seat.
 
SpamJ_imp said:
I stuck my Honda 2000 generator on my Samurider Rack, still not enough weight to raise the front wheel...
Surprised, several cinder-blocks on a short plank suspended on the very back end of OEM rear carrier lifts the front off the ground for me.
 
On a previous bike, I used to hang a 5-gallon bucket of water off the rack. Works like a charm as long as the bucket doesn't have any leaks (don't ask me how I know).
I'd really be surprised if 25 pounds across the back seat is enough.

With the CB, I'm a fan of the scissor jack under the oil pan idea. Works great.
 
I AM SUPRISED THAT NOBODY SUGGESTED TO GET YOUR OVERWEIGHT NEIGHBOR TO SIT ON THE BACK .
TO ME IT MAKES SENSE TO GET A PROPER FRONT STAND WITH THE RIGHT PIN FOR YOUR BIKE.
 
Get a set of SW Motech crash bars. Have an assistant push down on the back of the bike (I use the rear rack) and set a pair of jack stands under the center horizontal bars on the crash bars. :D (works for me) :P

Ben
 
Back
Top