Question on replacing engine side cover

Ollie

Been there
Thread starter
I will be replacing a left and right side engine cover and it appears that during assembly a gasket caulk was used rather than paper gaskets. Any suggestion on the best stuff to use, and also how to separate the covers away after the bolts are removed? Any tips are appreciated.
 
No point in using anything other than the correct adhesive.

A small soft faced dead blow hammer works great for tapping the covers loose.
 
Thread starter
I agree do you happen to know what the correct adhesive is? Is it a type I can pick up at NAPA, or something Honda specific? Good suggestion to use a mallet in fact I used one once before when taking a side cover off but it utilized a gasket and the cover separated off fairly easily. I never took one off that had been put together with adhesive.
 
Stator side is held by the magnetic action of the stator, use a stiff plastic putty knife to get a clearance of about 1/4 inch then it will break free. Book calls for Honda bond sealant.
 
Thread starter
Great thank you, I stop by for Honda Bond sealant and if they don't have that I'll order 1207B from your Amazon link.
 
Thread starter
They had two types of Hondabond liquid gasket. I decided on Hondabond 4 for sealing the lower side cases figuring the HT was more for High Temperature such as the head? If this seems wrong let me know and I'll exchange it.
 
I've been using Permatex for longer than 2 decades.......
Ultra Black Gasket Maker 598BR, 80-mL...and many more by the same company.
Use a proper one.
 
The last time I had to use any liquid gasket was back in 1986, and that was on a car! Before that, 1984 on a Yamaha.

Japanese bikes have been ultra reliable in regards to seal leaks.
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
I've been using Permatex for longer than 2 decades.......
Ultra Black Gasket Maker 598BR, 80-mL...and many more by the same company.
Use a proper one.
Well that's the intent of this topic. Of the ones that have been mentioned here, Hondabond (there are 2), Three Bond 1207B, and Permatex 598BR, would any not be suitable? Is one of them "best"?
 
What Honda calls for is the best. 1207B or equivalent as per the manual. Are the others equivalent? Well, you can Google for the MSDS and see what each is. Or Three Bond’s site shows tables with all the sealant types.
 
Back
Top