Put bike on centerstand

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Those with the Honda rear carrier or other rear rack quickly discovered what a handy grip they make for putting the bike on the centerstand. Makes it a breeze!
 
Thread starter
That was pretty funny. Apparently he didn't know the "trick" lol
 
I did it wrong for years. I had the correct hand placement, but still ended up having to horse it up on the stand using all of my strength. I even pulled a muscle in my shoulder once.

Eventually, it dawned on me that I wasn't doing something right. I watched a friend of mine with the same bike ease it up on the stand with little effort. After swallowing my pride, I begged a lesson.

Turns out the only thing he was doing differently was making sure that both feet of the stand were on the ground before lifting. I'd been pulling it up with just the near foot firmly on the ground. What a difference an inch makes!
 
HikerToo_imp said:
And how not to....
So, I am sitting here, watching MNF, surfin, yada yada yada

I watch this vid and start laughing so loud my wife comes out of the basement wondering what the hell is so funny about a football game!

That was freaking hilarious! Thanks so much for posting
 
I have never seen anyone try that method, but I can see why he would try it that way. But if after the tenth attempt, you'd think he would try a new way to do it.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
I did it wrong for years. I had the correct hand placement, but still ended up having to horse it up on the stand using all of my strength. I even pulled a muscle in my shoulder once.

Eventually, it dawned on me that I wasn't doing something right. I watched a friend of mine with the same bike ease it up on the stand with little effort. After swallowing my pride, I begged a lesson.

Turns out the only thing he was doing differently was making sure that both feet of the stand were on the ground before lifting. I'd been pulling it up with just the near foot firmly on the ground. What a difference an inch makes!
the correct way is:

1) balance the bike and make sure both feet of the stand touch the flat surface
2) stand on the stand with right foot w/ your weight and lift up with your left hand at the same time.

they design the stand and its location relative to the engine so a 150 lbs can put a bike of 700 lbs on center stand w/o problem.

2 months ago, I visited my dealer and saw the Honda F6B, I asked the sale person who sold me the CB to clear the crowded area and put the bike on center stand so I could sit on it. He called a big guy, 6'2 and some 220 lbs to put it on centerstand. I told them I wanted to do it - they looked at each other and wondered how this 5'7 160 lbs grandma put a 700+ lbs bike on center stand?

1) the 2) above, the bike was on center stand. Everyone laughed they thought I was a grandma on steroid.

but it was easier than it seemed, the F6B center stand is 1 foot behind the engine, while the on the CB, it is next to it.
 
I will admit to a little anxiety about the center stand before I brought the CB home. I had a bikes with center years ago but they were lighter, and well, that was a lot of year ago.

Basically as stated above, you have to let the leverage of your weight on the stand do the work. If you haven't done it, and haven't seen it done, it's kind of scary. I think the coolest things you can do in life are helping someone or teaching them how to do something.
 
I hadn't had a bike with a center stand for a few years when I got the CB. And, I was just recovered from my broken hip and wasn't confident of my ability to use the stand.

My "trick" was to enlist a riding pal to stand on the opposite side of the bike with his hands resting on the bar and tail rack frame. Then I did several repetitions of bringing it up until I felt like I had it down. Knowing he was there to catch it if it went awry was all I needed to get the hang of it again.

Do y'all notice the front wheel swings to the right when you bring the bike up? Maybe it's just the way I do it.
HikerToo_imp said:
And how not to....
What a dipstick! The worst part: it's not even his scooter. Just another busy-body buttinski who decided he needed to "fix" something
 
Thread starter
meowguy_imp said:
I will admit to a little anxiety about the center stand before I brought the CB home. I had a bikes with center years ago but they were lighter, and well, that was a lot of year ago.

Basically as stated above, you have to let the leverage of your weight on the stand do the work. If you haven't done it, and haven't seen it done, it's kind of scary. I think the coolest things you can do in life are helping someone or teaching them how to do something.

Meowguy..I have a saying.. There is always someone who knows more than you, and there is always someone who knows less than you... so you can always learn and you can always teach.
 
Over the years I have encountered some bike that were an absolute bear to put on the center stand. Most if not all were mid-sized bikes. Big honking bikes, as a rule, were easy to put up.

The CB1100 is not the easiest bike to put up, but it's not hard.

I've never been able to get the Griso on a center stand - it doesn't have one. :angel:
 
Thread starter
I can generally pop any bike up on the centerstand with ease. 17 years in the motorcycle industry, i got plenty of practice on bikes from 50cc up to Goldwings. My ST 1300 is a bear to put up though..I can do it, but it is by far the hardest bike I have ever put on a centerstand. I cut a tapered 2x4 about a foot long I carry in my trunk on trips, in case I ever have to get it on the centerstand with a rear flat.
 
my old KZ550 Ltd was not that easy to pop up. A wing was much easier. I have not tried an ST though and it sounds like I don't wan to. :)

We could segue into picking up bikes that decided to take a nap. :angel:
 
I put 136,000 miles on an 84 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade (great bike BTW)
Easiest bike I have ever owned to centerstand
It practically put itself up
 
I finally learnt how.But I wrenched my back the first time.
I made the huge mistake of having the sidestand down while trying
to engage the centerstand.Big No No.In fact,I think it almost impossible.
You gotta really quickly make one strong movement.
Hold the side rail firmly with the palm of yer right hand
with yer right foot squarely holding down the centerstand as you
use your left hand to pull up and back on the left handgrip while
also lifting up with yer right palm.
 
_imp said:
I finally learnt how.But I wrenched my back the first time.
I made the huge mistake of having the sidestand down while trying
to engage the centerstand.Big No No.In fact,I think it almost impossible.
You gotta really quickly make one strong movement.
Hold the side rail firmly with the palm of yer right hand
with yer right foot squarely holding down the centerstand as you
use your left hand to pull up and back on the left handgrip while
also lifting up with yer right palm.
It is possible.
I always do it like this (after putting it on the centerstand, I put up the side stand).
 
Quote:It is possible.
I always do it like this (after putting it on the centerstand, I put up the side stand).
The side stand provides a bail out if you lose the bike while trying to get it on the center. Always, always, use the side stand for safety. Even when the bike is securely on the center stand I leave the side stand down so it is always ready when I take the bike off the center.
 
Thread starter
I admit I never leave the side stand down, putting a bike up on the center or taking it off. Never an issue for me, and "knock on wood" in what has to be a million of centerstand adventures with my own bikes over the last 47 years and working in the industry for 17 years, I've not dropped one yet.
 
Back
Top