Protecting Stainless Steel

Phadreus_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi all,

Did a search with no results on this one although it's hard to believe nobody has covered it.

I picked up a 4 into 1 Exhaust kit for my bike over the Christmas holiday (Delkevic 14" Oval) and was wondering what would be the best option to protect the Stainless from tarnishing?

The options I've come across so far are:
[li]High Heat Clear Coat[/li] [li]Protective Wax[/li] [li]Rust and Tarnish protective coating chemicals (numerous options)
[/li]
Any experience to share on what you guys have seen gets the best results? I want to apply whatever option I decide on before installation.

Thx!
 
Thread starter
j3gq_imp said:
Regular cleaning, and once a year protective wax has so far just worked fine on my bikes ... so far ...
I'm most attracted to this option. I'm pretty meticulous with caring for my bikes, so regular cleaning and wax are certainly doable.
 
They're going to tarnish, you can't prevent that as far as I know. The cure is polishing once or twice a year. Or more if you are really meticulous.

As GO has mentioned the Stain-Magic is a real time/elbow grease saver. Then polish with Peek or Autosol.
 
The mantra among boat owners, sail and power, is that there is no protection for it, all you can do is remove any tarnish on a periodic basis.
 
Strangely, difficult to source more locally.

The upshot is the tube will last for many years. Usage consumption is relatively low.
 
I have investigated this subject many times myself for various projects. Harley headers discolor, and are covered for the most part but not completely by chrome heat shields. What I did was to have the headers silver ceramic coated. Once completely finished the headers approximated the stainless look. The shop that did the ceramic also does high heat powder coat, including clear. The owner said those high heat PC coatings did not have temperature ratings high enough to withstand header temperatures.

I think you have only two practical solutions. ( 1. ) Have the headers silver ceramic coated, as the ceramic will withstand the header temps. Bear in mind that the coating can rock chip/scrape, and the headers are in a somewhat vulnerable location for that possibility. ( 2. ) Regular maintenance with the polishes others have mentioned. I have found Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish works quite well on chrome and multiple metals including stainless. It is available on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-05101-Mag...519Y&psc=1 as well at most auto parts stores.

My EX headers dont have this wrinkle, as they are chrome pipe in a pipe, but if I was in your position I think I would just do the regular maintenance with a good polish.
 
I believe there was a regular Forum member who successfully silver ceramic treated a backup 4-in-1 CB1100 header he had. It looked okay, but he dumped it without using it.
 
I'm in EXACTLY the same position as OP Phadreus. My Wyvern 4-into-4 pipes have just arrived from Samurider and I'm anxious to get them fitted once my garage is cleared out.

So NOW is the time to do anything with them, if I am going to do anything at all. Ceramic coating has the appeal of stopping discolouration, BUT... the possibility of chipping/scratching isn't appealing - I'd rather keep the original stainless steel.

I'm guessing that is the route I'll take - do nothing and keep them polished using Solvol Autosol (the same stuff that removed the chrome off my original Yamaha YDS3 mudguard back in 1965!).

Watching this thread closely. Thanks guys.
 
I have a Jet Hot coating on my 4-1 stock header that keeps it looking shiny and new. More like polished aluminum but definitely not any discoloration from heat any longer.
 
I noticed this header issue with these bikes. I am searching for one now. Assumed that no surface treatment would eliminate discoloring from heat. Had an '81 CB750 for over 30 years...pipes never discolored.
 
Wagonpeddler_imp said:
I noticed this header issue with these bikes. I am searching for one now. Assumed that no surface treatment would eliminate discoloring from heat. Had an '81 CB750 for over 30 years...pipes never discolored.
My '74 CB750 and 2017EX headers didnt/havnt discolored because they were/are what Honda calls "pipe in a pipe" design. As far as I know the CB750 series, including yours, as well as the CB1100 DLX all use the pipe in a pipe header design, among probably many other models I am not familiar with. The stainless standard CB1100, and every aftermarket header I can think of, are all single tube design which will heat discolor over time. I dont know why, but for some reason the polishing of stainless headers does a good job of restoring color according to owners I have talked to.
 
2017EX_imp said:
Wagonpeddler_imp said:
I noticed this header issue with these bikes. I am searching for one now. Assumed that no surface treatment would eliminate discoloring from heat. Had an '81 CB750 for over 30 years...pipes never discolored.
My '74 CB750 and 2017EX headers didnt/havnt discolored because they were/are what Honda calls "pipe in a pipe" design. As far as I know the CB750 series, including yours, as well as the CB1100 DLX all use the pipe in a pipe header design, among probably many other models I am not familiar with. The stainless standard CB1100, and every aftermarket header I can think of, are all single tube design which will heat discolor over time. I dont know why, but for some reason the polishing of stainless headers does a good job of restoring color according to owners I have talked to.
(+1) Yes. In a four season region, it seems to last 12 months too, including riding in winter salt brine/dust and summer downpours.
 
Back
Top