Preferred chain lube?

2014ltdltz

First service completed
Thread starter
What is everyone using for chain lube? Chain wax? In the past I have used 20W50 Mobil 1 (applied judiciously, of course).
 
I've just discovered and bought some 'ZX1' Lubricant.

This is what they say about "chain oiling"...

"As for the chain, most bikers initially heat treat the chain with ZX1 then use the C60 spray regularly to keep it in good shape, one of the benefits is stopping chain stretch

If you go down the route of heat treating the best way is to heat a small container of ZX1 in a pot of boiling water, make sure the area is well ventilated, and paint it onto the chain or better still if you can do it is to immerse the chain."

Not tried it yet, but I know that the amazing Allen Millyard uses it, and that's good enough for me!

https://youtube.com/c/AllenMillyard

"X1 Lubricant Oil" http://x1oil.com
 
and... here we go!
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
and... here we go!
:rofl:
You should find a few references to chain lube on the SEARCH function in the upper left of your screen.
There are almost as many preferences for chain treatments as there are CB1100s.
Have fun.
 
"As for the chain, most bikers initially heat treat the chain with ZX1 then use the C60 spray regularly to keep it in good shape, one of the benefits is stopping chain stretch

Heat treat? Lubricant that stops chain stretch? This stuff sound like snake oil to me.
 
Dave_imp said:
"As for the chain, most bikers initially heat treat the chain with ZX1 then use the C60 spray regularly to keep it in good shape, one of the benefits is stopping chain stretch

Heat treat? Lubricant that stops chain stretch? This stuff sound like snake oil to me.
I've never had to replace a drive chain. Then again, I hate chains.

That said, I just use a Tutoro auto-luber and forget 'bout it.
 
Maxima chain wax. Been using it for about 15 years and never had to replace a chain before due to wear.
Perhaps because I'm very OCD and ride like a girl....
 
Way back in the day, before X and O ring chains, I painted 90 wt gear oil onto a warm chain with a small paint brush, but now I use a spray can of chain lube every so often.
 
I have a large, round, flat tin of chain grease, where the idea is to put it on a low heat and, after degreasing the chain, you boil it in this oil for a while. Then take it out, hang it up and let it stop dripping before refitting it to the 'bike.

I did this just once, back in the '60s, but what a messy job!

'O' and 'X' ring chains have put a stop to this practice. I'll be doing it to my Yamaha and BSA chains eventually, both original chains from the 1960s.
 
 
But... but... but... Don't the 'X' / 'O' rings stop the oil/grease getting into the pins where it's needed and where the pins wear?
 
'X' / 'O' ring chains seem to me to raise the question of whether they need oiling at all. Or is it to lubricate the junction of chain and sprocket?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
'X' / 'O' ring chains seem to me to raise the question of whether they need oiling at all. Or is it to lubricate the junction of chain and sprocket?
:thumbsup:

Also the inter-link area.
 
and to stop the side plates from rusting
 
Apparently the o-rings keep the lube installed when the chain was made - inside where it's needed and keeps dirt out. Yet lubing still seems to be called for. I thought it was to lube the chain sprocket interface but Fort Nine put the kibosh on that. It does seem to keep outside corrosion at bay.

Anyway, I stopped using chain lube and adopted gear oil (except for the 2014 which has a Tudor auto chain luber which seems to use some sort of gear lube).

But like engine oil - you take your money and make your choices. :D
 
Back
Top