Possible quality control issues

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Was just over on the UK forum and a couple of their members are noticing the bubbling and flaking on their cylinder fins like Ack had.

Let's be vigilant and if you see any of it happening to your bike, please post up a pic.

So that is 2 things we want to keep an eye on

1. Rust up under the rear fenders

2. Bubbling of finish on cylinder fins
 
I thought the UK had silver motors? Someone brought up a piont that I remember too, was a video of someone in Japan working on the rusty chrome fender. It was at least 2 or 3 years old IIRC? I think the fender at least has been an ongoing thing in places. I'd zip to a dealer for them to check out but it's a $200, 8 hour round trip, I hate this place. Strangely my fender is fine, 2 out of 3? Who knows.................Japan is an island, right? That means salt air.
 
WOW, I was thinking a new 6 speed DLX motor was the answer for me? Looks like the clear doesn't hold up either. Maybe I missed a salt air footnote in the sales paperwork??
I'm hoping Honda sends me a follow-up survey..........

Keep them inside boys :huh:
 
Thread starter
Well there are a lot more guys NOT having an issue than there are having an issue. Seems to be (bad) luck of the draw at this point. Wish I knew why some were and some weren't which is why I suggested maybe a QC issue.
 
I convinced my problem with the rust underneath the rear fender came about by the 1st owner running the bike on salty roads and not washing, then it stood in a warm showroom.
ACF50 has become my best friend and I, m sure with good general care my bike will be OK. Road salt or sea salt is the problem and I bet it happens to other makes also.
Actually the barrell fins on my bmw1150rt went a big flakey.
 
It would be interesting to get the serial numbers of the bikes that we know of that have these problems, and see if there is a pattern. Of course the bikes in the U.K. and France would almost certainly originate from a different production run than the bikes here, but they may have been manufactured back to back, who knows?
The only thing that makes sense is that it is a quality control issue, perhaps from earlier bikes? Did they find a problem and quietly fix it? Did it affect the first bikes to come to the U.S.?

Intriguing........

Edit......Actually, the difference between the European versions and ours is the speedometer and the engine color, and that's pretty much it, right?
 
Thread starter
WK57ABF_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Ack they do, but 2 members are having the issue over there

http://www.cb1100.co.uk/index.php/board,20.0.html
The ferret - that's 3 members now in the UK with fin rot.

John
The ferret - that's 3 members now in the UK with fin rot.

John
Sorry John I missed that you were having issues too.

Great so we have assigned a name to it now.. "FIN ROT" lol
 
Ack-CB11_imp said:
WOW, I was thinking a new 6 speed DLX motor was the answer for me? Looks like the clear doesn't hold up either. Maybe I missed a salt air footnote in the sales paperwork??
I'm hoping Honda sends me a follow-up survey..........

Keep them inside boys :huh:
Are you sure it's clear? Perhaps it's silver paint or clear over silver paint.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I tend to agree with Mick's line of thinking that environmental factors are going to have a lot to do with how well these bikes, or any bikes, hold up. Harley has a great rep for quality, but I saw a LOT of bikes in the shop with corrosion and paint fade after a few years, and others that were much older that looked brand new. I'm not pointing a finger at owner maintenance BTW. If you ride in sandy or gravel roads your bike is going to get tiny chips that let corrosion start. Salt air at the beach...parking in the sun for long periods...etc.

There are and have been crap vehicles...my uncle's Vega comes to mind. But I haven't seen anything yet that makes me think the CBs have a quality issue in this area. Even the pipes that annoy me no end have their upside: BMW says they use the same pipes because double-wall pipes tend to corrode internally, where single-wall stainless lasts the life of the bike.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
I tend to agree with Mick's line of thinking that environmental factors are going to have a lot to do with how well these bikes, or any bikes, hold up. Harley has a great rep for quality, but I saw a LOT of bikes in the shop with corrosion and paint fade after a few years, and others that were much older that looked brand new. I'm not pointing a finger at owner maintenance BTW. If you ride in sandy or gravel roads your bike is going to get tiny chips that let corrosion start. Salt air at the beach...parking in the sun for long periods...etc.

There are and have been crap vehicles...my uncle's Vega comes to mind. But I haven't seen anything yet that makes me think the CBs have a quality issue in this area. Even the pipes that annoy me no end have their upside: BMW says they use the same pipes because double-wall pipes tend to corrode internally, where single-wall stainless lasts the life of the bike.
This is true, I am originally from Louisiana, very humid, and the southern part is a pretty saline environment as well. Cars, bikes, trucks, etc., that were from South Louisiana seemed to corrode/rust quicker than others. I have family down by the Gulf and I remember my Uncle griping about rust on his truck, which was only a couple of years old at the time.

It may be that the CB1100 is such a naked bike, with metal parts where others might have plastic, (true to it's UJM lineage), that owners will need to take preventative steps to avoid the problem. The more I think about it, that's kinda how they were in the old days as well.
 
Last week I removed my front gaurd after what I'd found under the rear, chrome plating on top is good and deep, underneath its a different story. Where the gaurd bracket is, its very brassy colour and very dull finish. I can remember my mate had a new 450 black bomber in the sixties, first thing he did was remove both fenders andpainted them underneath to seal them. I think the quality on todays cb seems exactly the same.
 
Mick65_imp said:
Last week I removed my front gaurd after what I'd found under the rear, chrome plating on top is good and deep, underneath its a different story. Where the gaurd bracket is, its very brassy colour and very dull finish. I can remember my mate had a new 450 black bomber in the sixties, first thing he did was remove both fenders andpainted them underneath to seal them. I think the quality on todays cb seems exactly the same.
Retro lives!

(Sorry Ack! :D)
 
The front and back fenders (mud guards) on the 1100 are a very light coke can material and am expecting
them to disintegrate. Maybe a re-chrome.
I don't have rust yet......but it's a bit early for rust.
 
Mick65_imp said:
Last week I removed my front gaurd after what I'd found under the rear, chrome plating on top is good and deep, underneath its a different story. Where the gaurd bracket is, its very brassy colour and very dull finish. I can remember my mate had a new 450 black bomber in the sixties, first thing he did was remove both fenders andpainted them underneath to seal them. I think the quality on todays cb seems exactly the same.
I noticed this when I took it off to install the Fenda Extenda. Not very well chromed on the bottom.
 
Back
Top