Possible first CB11 crash :(

PowderToastMan_imp

Been there
Thread starter
:(

Bummer, guys. Had a little spill today. It shouldn't be my fault, I was approaching a left turn down hill and was taken out by a guy coming up the other way who lowsided into my lane.

The bike made it out pretty OK, I think! There is some rash on the left side cover on the engine, some scrapes on the clutch lever and turn signals, and the plastic cover on the speedo got ripped off.. I think that's the extent of it.

No injuries on either side, so I think we can call it a good day. :cool:
 
So another biker took you out? Crap that sucks. Glad you weren't hurt.
 
Thread starter
Yup. My insurance company is taking the bike away later this week to assess the damage.

When I talked to the guy on the phone I took another look, and the front wheel is not lined up with the fender anymore, so it could possibly be fork damage, but I don't really know how to sight the forks and judge if they're straight or not. In any case the insurance company has people who can do that, so we'll see what happens.

My riding gear definitely did its job. I believe it made the difference between me being able to nurse the bike a few miles home vs. having to get a tow and a detour to the hospital.

My only problem now is that the CB is my only transportation, I wasn't going to get a car until later this year. My own insurance apparently doesn't cover alternative transportation for motorcycle policies, so I will have to see if the other guy's insurance will cover it.. otherwise maybe I will have to get a bicycle, hah!
 
glad you came out okay! where did this happen if you don't mind me asking? I go ride up mulholland but in the early hours in the morning since a lot of motorcycle traffic during mid day..
 
Thread starter
I'm in the Bay Area, this was Highway 9 outside of Saratoga. I usually go out at about 9 am on the weekend and there's not too much traffic. Not too hot yet either.
Later in the day the traffic definitely picks up, but the last couple times I've been on 9 to Santa Cruz or Boulder Creek and back, I didn't have any issues with anybody holding me up or riding my ass (I'm a little slow, so the latter is more likely).

Mulholland is infamous, I probably would steer clear of it personally, even early in the morning.
 
Sorry to hear about your crash- glad you're not hurt.

Regarding your gear and how well it worked, what kind of pants were you wearing?

Thanks and take care.
 
PowderToastMan_imp said:
I have a pair of Alpinestars "Bat" pants. They don't even have any scuffs on them, as far as I can see.
They're pretty comfortable, too.
Thanks for the info. Again, glad to hear you're doing okay.
 
Glad to hear that you are OK. Highway 9 is one of my favorites. I have an interesting link to a You Tube video that was taken about 4 years ago. I had just gotten back into riding, and my first group ride on my 2010 Bonneville SE started out by going up through Saratoga, to Santa Cruz, and ended at Alice's Restaurant. The guy filming almost got hit by a sport bike at about 1:33 into the video. I still have the Bonneville (about 22K miles of pure joy), and now a CB1100.

RAT 7-12-09 Six Trumpets and a Kawi

My user name is a reference to an old post on the ADVRider forum that suggested that many CB owners would be from the class of 68, and might resemble Kebler Elves; I can neither confirm nor deny any of that.
 
Thread starter
Haha! Class of 68 would be old enough to be my parents :)

I do enjoy Highway 9 as well, I've been out there one way or another several times since I got the bike.

So, the insurance company sent somebody to pick up the bike for assessment, the tow truck guy dropped it on the side that hadn't been damaged in the accident!!
This is just my lucky week, huh?
 
PowderToastMan_imp said:
Haha! Class of 68 would be old enough to be my parents :)

I do enjoy Highway 9 as well, I've been out there one way or another several times since I got the bike.

So, the insurance company sent somebody to pick up the bike for assessment, the tow truck guy dropped it on the side that hadn't been damaged in the accident!!
This is just my lucky week, huh?
Dude......step back from the bike and leave it alone for a while....

Bad luck man. You should get more pictures and another report for this. Make sure you contact your insurance company again about it.
 
Thread starter
Yup, did that.

The takeaway is to keep a better eye on other bikes approaching. I was looking in his general direction since I needed to be looking that way around the upcoming turn. He was in my field of view but I didn't register him as a threat. My split second reaction was to try to mind my own business and continue around the turn, but that didn't quite work out.

When I get the bike back I'll probably still ride to work and back, but I'll probably cut back on the weekend outings for a little while.
 
Back
Top