Poll: How many are having problems with rear Brakes?

my bike has no ABS, so the rear brake not locking up is great as I see it...It keeps the rear of the bike steady and the super powerful front brakes do not need to be put on very hard to come to a quick stop.. (I'd love to have ABS brakes, but they are not available on the standard.)

My two cents..

Bob
 
I have a 2013 w/ABS and the rear brake is much less effective than the front brake. Since I don't have a gold standard to compare, I'll bleed the rear brakes tomorrow and see if the rear braking improves. As others have pointed out for the C-ABS system, the rear brake pedal engages the rear brake caliper and also provides some front disc braking. Looking at the service manual, it looks like the rear brake engages the middle piston on the right front brake caliper. The front brake engages all 3 pistons on the left front caliper and the 2 outer pistons on the right front caliper. The right front caliper has 2 bleed valves. The upper one is for bleeding the right front brake and the lower one is connected to the rear brake reservoir.

Here's a pic from the service manual:

 
Should have posted this a while back, but when I got my rear brake pad replaced, mechanic found that the rear brake caliper looked to have it's mounting bolt bored on an angle. This was giving my brake pad accelerated wearing that made no sense seeing I don't ride the rear brake. Had them replaced at about ~5k. Really sounds like a factory issue here but my bike is well over it's 1 year warranty.
 
No USA bikes had combined ABS; anyone have a bike with that? EU and Asia got these, I guess. C-ABS have dual three-piston calipers instead of dual four-piston up front.

Rear brake is great. Hard to lock it up unless most of the weight is transferred to the front tire.
 
The '13 ABS models had 3 pot calipers. And the service manual says they are combined brakes.

Looking at the 13/14 service manual on page 14-5. Last notice.

ABS model ('13 CB1100A only) is provided with a Combined Brake System (CBS)
 
I have a 2013 C-abs and my rear brakes are fine. I did an entire system flush (just as part of routine maintenance) last year and did find that this made a noticeable increase in braking performance. There is a tutorial on here for c-abs bleeding and you will require a power bleeder of some sort.
 
Jayimpalaman_imp said:
How many are having a hard time locking up the rear wheel? How many are (not) having a hard time locking up the rear wheel? Let start a poll and get it on the right track. Something may be wrong with the early production models. But, I don't know for sure. Everyone get involved (PLEASE) I want to get to the bottom of this! Thanks everyone. God Bless..




Jayimpalaman
14 Black Edition. I can lock the back if I had to but it takes a lot of effort. I think that is good? I don't want to lock it. My front are smooth and powerful and so I use my back to help keep all the weight off the front so she does not dive and to help in a quick stop like when I cannot make a light and need to stop her quick. I also tend to use the back brakes always with the front and by themselves only when at crawling low speed because the front is so strong. I love how I can feather the fronts going downhill and can work the front and back in unison so braking is smooth and the bike is balanced and stable even when going down steep hills and downhill curves.

True brakes war story. Coming downhill on highway 30 toward Pikeville Tennessee, see on the map that last 90 degree turn before the road straightens out doing into town? It's a downhill 90 degree sharp turn left on a narrow two lane with zero shoulders with a dropoff to the left side and if you miss the turn you nose into a sheer rock bluff staring you in the face. Fun. It was a surprise to me. I played both front and back brakes to almost bring her to a stop and then let both brakes go at turn apex rolling at about two mph, pressed the left handlebar hard in a counter steer while giving her a little throttle. She hard leaned to the left side and sharp turned the 90 degrees and then I gave her some throttle and straightened the bars while she responded by comming right back up straight following the new direction perfectly! All of that happened in a total of three seconds or so. I am so happy with the balance and brakes on this bike!!!

I think that maneuver was instinctual and that came from riding many years as a kid a 20 inch gold Stingray style bicycle, high handle bars, banana seat and small front wheel that could turn on a dime!
The moral to that war story is buy your grand kid a Stingray style bike. It could save their life down the road riding their 2025 CB.
 
2013 Standard#00021 non ABS rear brake with 9K+ miles works exactly like it's supposed to.

I replied back in Nov 15 to this thread but decided to update the mileage. Rear Brake works fine. No issues
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The '13 ABS models had 3 pot calipers. And the service manual says they are combined brakes.

Looking at the 13/14 service manual on page 14-5. Last notice.

ABS model ('13 CB1100A only) is provided with a Combined Brake System (CBS)
Interesting, the Honda Powersports website says they are four-piston calipers up front. Must be a mistake on the website. Anyway, you would sure know if your own bike had the three-piston binders.

But this is very curious and revealing; of course it would be MUCH harder to lock the rear on a bike with C-ABS because the front brake is also working and the rear braking is limited by the C-ABS system.

My bike is non-ABS. (Absolute Bull Shrooms)
 
I see this has been resurrected, but noticed the OP traded off his CB1100 in April 2015 and hasn't posted since then. And there is no actual poll, so.
 
I have 2014 std non ABS, but I had an experience today that made me think Honda softened or weakened the rear brake for a reason.

I was practicing a somewhat panic stop because I came to an intersection where someone came flying up to it and acted like they weren't going to stop.

If I am alone with no one in front or behind me, I brake hard for all LH turns in front of me and all intersection pull outs. My theory is I can get totally stopped if they decide to go at the last second. If I inconvenience them a little, so be it. If they wanted to go ahead and pull out, they'd win so I'm going to let them.

So while I'm practicing this panic stop today, of course the weight shifts heavily on the front wheel. I wondered what percentage, but I wasn't doing a "stoppie" so couldn't have been 100%.

What I did notice and feel was the rear wheel moving around. I didn't seem to be locked up, just "fish tailing" a little.

At no point did I feel out of control or that the rear was getting ready to come around to the side, but I thought as much weight that was shifted to the front, I don't need much rear brake.....if fact if it was stronger I would have locked it for sure.

So maybe the engineers are protecting us from ourselves?
 
I guess that's true so maybe I was almost doing a stoppie Because I didn't leave any skid marks and I didn't hear anything?
 
The brakes on the CB are easily strong enough to let you do a stoppie. Even if you don't lock the back wheel, you will feel the back fishtail, because you are now balancing the bike on the front tire and pivoting around the steering head.
 
kmoney_imp said:
The brakes on the CB are easily strong enough to let you do a stoppie. Even if you don't lock the back wheel, you will feel the back fishtail, because you are now balancing the bike on the front tire and pivoting around the steering head.
Quite true.
 
Back
Top