Plastic Fuel Tanks

postoak_imp

Been there
Thread starter
There's a question on one of those sites where you can ask about anything: "Why have bike manufacturers shifted to plastic fuel tanks?"

Everybody starts answering the question, but I wonder if the assumption is correct. Are most bikes made today coming with plastic fuel tanks?
 
some are but they are not doing well with Ethanol gas. Ducatis in particular have had issues with it with tanks swwelling.
 
Thread starter
Would you say a majority of bike models have plastic or metal tanks?
Also what is a "seamless" tank like the new CB1100EX has?
 
Earlier Moto Guzzi V7Rs had plastic tanks and had issues. My 2009 HD XR1200 has a plastic tank and no issues so far. Im sure there's no stats on this but I'd be curious to see if black tanks in hot climates had more issues than those of other colors in cooler climates. I can't help but think, ethanol not withstanding that this plays an issue.
 
I believe they're roto-molded nylon, not plastic, but it's best to avoid bikes with these things unless they're buried underneath other bodywork, for the reason Ferret identified. Moto Guzzi and Ducati both had significant issues with swollen tanks and had to issue worldwide recalls or honor warranty claims to replace them. Guzzi no longer uses them on the V7 line.

(Sorry Frulk, we were both typing at the same time).
 
New CB has a metal tank and I would suppose that the tank is formed by some hydraulic process and what seams are welded are then ground smooth. I also note that the new CB has a tank filler ring that would easily adapt to a tank bag ring and eliminate the need for a magnetic bag and tank scratches that may happen with same.
 
In the off-roading world many of us ditch the heavy metal tanks for plastic ones.. Their usually lighter and bigger.. They quality of plastic in these tanks is important as well as the thickness for durability , it's why most stay with ims, Clarke or acerbis tanks.. It's because ethanol will eat cheap plastic and make it gummy.. it was a big issue in the boating world a while back, tho that might have been fiberglass, I'm unsure..

The Swelling really shouldn't be an issue if it's dense enough. However, most will use a "t" connector on their overflow/intake line.. Most if not all bikes have em.. It's so if there is an excess of heat and gas expands, it will spit out the overflow before the tank itself expands..

The t connector isn't totally necessary, but we often run second likes up high so if the bike gets submerged the carb still gets air..
 
Back
Top