Pirelli Angel GTs at 5,000 miles

Thread starter
Yes, my front is a stock size 110 the rear was not available in a 140 so I got a 160

by the way GO, those rear fender pics really bothered me and I figured it out that it was because it was on the side stand. Here's a pic on the center stand

ca9b887e75a18a396048974c76997c2c.jpg
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Angel GTs do not come in a stock rear size. Only 160/60. Like the PR3 they fit fine and feel great. The came in stock size for the front, but I'm not sure you can get them in the US. They're 120 rather than 110, but they fit.
With the OEM size tires, I notice my speed is dead on accurate. When mounting these non-OEM sizes, has anyone noticed the accuracy of the speedo being a bit off?
 
Yes on speed variation. I had to hoof it a few days ago to cross the freeway to catch a left-side exit ramp. Once I backed off to pace the flow of traffic, I was reading 90 mph. I estimated traffic to be at about 80.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Dunno tommymck, dont have it yet, but they have been getting rave reviews from NC, Afica Twin and Gold Wing owners so thought I'd give it a shot.

I do know as far as shifting goes, you can put it in Drive mode, totally automatic, and let Hondas algorithm choose the upshift and down shift points, or you can put it in one of a couple of sport drive modes, again totally automatic, but each different sport mode holds the rpms a little higher before shifting, for a sportier ride than Drive mode, or you can put it in manual mode and use a finger trigger or thumb lever to choose the upshift and downshift points, the same as you would on a clutch motorcycle, only there no clutch.

Maybe GO will chime in, I think he had one prior to his Africa Twin.
... there are two clutches :) - one for even gears, one for odd gears. No matter what, the next gear is set-up to switch.

Ferret - all your points are correct.

In as few words as possible based on Honda NC750XD and CRF1000LD ownership:

* Can be driven automatically,
* Automatic current gear can be overridden up and down,
* Can be driven in manual mode where rider chooses the gear, but the engine can never be stalled,
* Drive mode is the most economical, but the Sport modes are much more spirited,
* Off-the-line acceleration is very impressive,
* The NC750XD is surprisingly fuel efficient, even after spirited rides.

In any case, there is much more.


... there are two clutches :) - one for even gears, one for odd gears. No matter what, the next gear is set-up to switch.

Ferret - all your points are correct.

In as few words as possible based on Honda NC750XD and CRF1000LD ownership:

* Can be driven automatically,
* Automatic current gear can be overridden up and down,
* Can be driven in manual mode where rider chooses the gear, but the engine can never be stalled,
* Drive mode is the most economical, but the Sport modes are much more spirited,
* Off-the-line acceleration is very impressive,
* The NC750XD is surprisingly fuel efficient, even after spirited rides.

In any case, there is much more.
I just test drove a new GoldWing. It had the DCT. Like most riders, I was not that interested in the DCT before trying it. Ehh, it was already on the demo bike, so why not? There are four modes, Tour and Sport being used most often, with manual shifting option on the left grip if you desire. (I seriously doubt very many owners use the manual option after a few rides.)
It was... nice, real nice. That and the suspension system/steering linkage was most remarkable to me.
For touring, i think it's going to make your experience that much more relaxing. At lights you don't need to down shift or think about which gear you're in, where your feet are, and stuff like that.
Many motorcycle aficionados have more than one bike. You can get the more engaged, direct riding experience on a sportier stablemate if you so chose.
 
44 Teeth - a popular YouTube bunch of guys based in the UK did a Goldwing Vs BMW1600 trip to Scotland fairly recently. They racked up some good mileage in just a few days and gave both bikes a good workout. The two riders were amazed at the Goldwing rating it way better than the beemer.
 
Randy B_imp said:
Ferret what size is your rear tire? They don't seem to offer it in the stock size.
Another thing worth noting is the limited supply of whatever leftover inventory you'll be able to get shipped to the U.S. for this tire. It is being discontinued in the U.S, in favor of the GT2's, which, don't come in our sizes :dodgy:


Tev62_imp said:
44 Teeth - a popular YouTube bunch of guys based in the UK did a Goldwing Vs BMW1600 trip to Scotland fairly recently. They racked up some good mileage in just a few days and gave both bikes a good workout. The two riders were amazed at the Goldwing rating it way better than the beemer.
The F6B was a couch on wheels when I saw it at the Progressive IMS 5 years ago. I can only imagine all the new over-the-top comfort features on the current model
 
They shed 48kg on the new 2018 Wing, which is something else. I have to say, not my type of bike, but I considered it once briefly, not really suited to Irish roads, but I bet the DCT version is a luxo-barge of the first order, pure opulence.
 
Thread starter
Well, the Pirelli Angel GT's made it to 7500 miles. Down to 2/32" front and rear. Not quite the mileage I was used to getting out of the PR3's (curse you Michelin for discontinuing them) which went between 10K and 12K miles for me. Still the Angel GT's are a comparable tire discounting the mileage. They handled well up to the end, no mis-shaping, or cupping on either tire.

The Angel GT's get replaced with another set of Angel GT's tomorrow morning in preparation for the rally.
 
Thread starter
Whoops_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Angel GTs do not come in a stock rear size. Only 160/60. Like the PR3 they fit fine and feel great. The came in stock size for the front, but I'm not sure you can get them in the US. They're 120 rather than 110, but they fit.
With the OEM size tires, I notice my speed is dead on accurate. When mounting these non-OEM sizes, has anyone noticed the accuracy of the speedo being a bit off?
With the OEM size tires, I notice my speed is dead on accurate. When mounting these non-OEM sizes, has anyone noticed the accuracy of the speedo being a bit off?
I have not noticed my speed being off and equal to the traffic around me. A LOT of us have been running the 160 rear and Gone is the first one I remember saying his was off. I don't run a GPS so can't check it but I'm sure someone has.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Whoops_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Angel GTs do not come in a stock rear size. Only 160/60. Like the PR3 they fit fine and feel great. The came in stock size for the front, but I'm not sure you can get them in the US. They're 120 rather than 110, but they fit.
With the OEM size tires, I notice my speed is dead on accurate. When mounting these non-OEM sizes, has anyone noticed the accuracy of the speedo being a bit off?
With the OEM size tires, I notice my speed is dead on accurate. When mounting these non-OEM sizes, has anyone noticed the accuracy of the speedo being a bit off?
I have not noticed my speed being off and equal to the traffic around me. A LOT of us have been running the 160 rear and Gone is the first one I remember saying his was off. I don't run a GPS so can't check it but I'm sure someone has.
With the OEM size tires, I notice my speed is dead on accurate. When mounting these non-OEM sizes, has anyone noticed the accuracy of the speedo being a bit off?
I have not noticed my speed being off and equal to the traffic around me. A LOT of us have been running the 160 rear and Gone is the first one I remember saying his was off. I don't run a GPS so can't check it but I'm sure someone has.


I'm also running the 160 rear and have not noticed any speed variations. I absolutely love the Pirelli Angel GTs on this bike.

Here's a side by side before and after, Pirelli on the left.

 
I've never noticed a speedo variation with either the PR3s or the Angle GTs.
 
It is not so much the brand, it is the fact you changed your tyre. Speedo variations with new tyres are a given on most motorcycles depending on where they take their speed source from, e.g. a gearbox component. The new tyre outside diameter Vs the smaller worn tyre diameter have a big impact. You might even notice a difference fully loading your bike as you change the profile of the tyre too. Unless you are looking for it or trying to measure it though you are unlikely to notice it. Next time you are about to change tyre stick a free app on your phone and measure the speedo difference before and after on the same stretch of road. The difference can be significant depending on how much tread you started with, the tyre could be a good centimetre less in diameter when worn.
 
That makes sense, Tev62. The issue here is whether the profile of the OEM 140/70 and the 160/60 result in different diameters. As I recall, they don’t so there should be no speedo variation other than that you describe.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
That makes sense, Tev62. The issue here is whether the profile of the OEM 140/70 and the 160/60 result in different diameters. As I recall, they don’t so there should be no speedo variation other than that you describe.

Yep, I get what you are saying, like for like there should be very little difference in the aspect ratio, 2mm is the only difference there, minimal impact. :thumbsup:

60% of 160 = 96 and 70% of 140 = 98
 
Keep in mind that the 160 tire is more "squeezed " onto the rim than the 140 and this could change the diameter a little as well , how much ? "I do not know "
 
Tev62_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
That makes sense, Tev62. The issue here is whether the profile of the OEM 140/70 and the 160/60 result in different diameters. As I recall, they don’t so there should be no speedo variation other than that you describe.

Yep, I get what you are saying, like for like there should be very little difference in the aspect ratio, 2mm is the only difference there, minimal impact. :thumbsup:

60% of 160 = 96 and 70% of 140 = 98

Yep, I get what you are saying, like for like there should be very little difference in the aspect ratio, 2mm is the only difference there, minimal impact. :thumbsup:

60% of 160 = 96 and 70% of 140 = 98
At the risk of sounding like a mechanical idiot, I was curious how the odometer calculates mileage. In other words, is it based on tire revolutions (i.e. diameter) or does it work off engine revolutions? Just wondering if a different tire size could potentially cause miles to accumulate faster or slower as a result of non-OEM tire sizes.
 
Ok, I wonder if this was the cause for my variation... If I nail the throttle to cross to the other side of the freeway, and the bike accelerates, I'm probably compressing the back tire a bit as the weight shifts back.

Hmm... maybe if I diet more, I'll put fewer miles on my bike...
 
Thread starter
Whoops_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
That makes sense, Tev62. The issue here is whether the profile of the OEM 140/70 and the 160/60 result in different diameters. As I recall, they don’t so there should be no speedo variation other than that you describe.

Yep, I get what you are saying, like for like there should be very little difference in the aspect ratio, 2mm is the only difference there, minimal impact. :thumbsup:

60% of 160 = 96 and 70% of 140 = 98

Yep, I get what you are saying, like for like there should be very little difference in the aspect ratio, 2mm is the only difference there, minimal impact. :thumbsup:

60% of 160 = 96 and 70% of 140 = 98
At the risk of sounding like a mechanical idiot, I was curious how the odometer calculates mileage. In other words, is it based on tire revolutions (i.e. diameter) or does it work off engine revolutions? Just wondering if a different tire size could potentially cause miles to accumulate faster or slower as a result of non-OEM tire sizes.
Whoops, I AM a mechanical idiot, but I don't ride like one lol. The speed I'm assuming is calculated somehow off the speed ring on the wheel? The odometer off something else?

The question is how big of a difference does it make and that is something I can't answer but certainly something that I don't worry about. Some people will spend big bucks on a speedo healer to make sure their speedo matches a GPS reading. For me unless it was waaay off, like 10-15 mph off, it's no big concern.

If a stock tire gets smaller as it wears, and we know it does, does it worry you that the speedo and odometer are also going to be increasingly off? Are they off high or low? Does a one size larger tire when new, and gets smaller with wear, does it become closer or further away from being accurate as it wears?

Too much to worry about. I'd rather just ride lol.
 
Back
Top