Pirelli Angel GTs at 5,000 miles

Can't disagree with that Ferret.

I wish a time consumption monitor was included on modern bikes. It would be so easy to do with with modern instrumentation. Maybe a bike has low mileage, but has spent most of its life idling in L.A. traffic. That might be useful to know.
 
GO, a bike doesn't spend much time idling in L.A. traffic...
but a car certainly does. :)
 
Whoops_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
That makes sense, Tev62. The issue here is whether the profile of the OEM 140/70 and the 160/60 result in different diameters. As I recall, they don’t so there should be no speedo variation other than that you describe.

Yep, I get what you are saying, like for like there should be very little difference in the aspect ratio, 2mm is the only difference there, minimal impact. :thumbsup:

60% of 160 = 96 and 70% of 140 = 98

Yep, I get what you are saying, like for like there should be very little difference in the aspect ratio, 2mm is the only difference there, minimal impact. :thumbsup:

60% of 160 = 96 and 70% of 140 = 98
At the risk of sounding like a mechanical idiot, I was curious how the odometer calculates mileage. In other words, is it based on tire revolutions (i.e. diameter) or does it work off engine revolutions? Just wondering if a different tire size could potentially cause miles to accumulate faster or slower as a result of non-OEM tire sizes.
On the older bikes, like my Daytona, it is taken off a mechanical drive on the end of the front wheel axle. One newer bikes it is often electrically taken off a sensor from a rotating shaft in the gearbox. Changing the tyre would affect both though. Image the tread wearing 5mm, that is an overall decrease in diameter of 1cm. With simplistic maths and assuming the tyre profile is perfect, a complete revolution of the tyre new vs old would present a difference in distance of just under 4.4%. The Odometer didn't know you changed your tyre. So for the same engine revs you actually end up travelling slower as your tyre wears.
 
Some what related . Yesterday I put new Michelin 245/60 18 tires on the back of my 2017 Honda CRV , the OEM tire is a 235/60 18. After a few miles the TPMS came on and I could not switch it of. Went back to Discount Tires and also put the 245/60 on the front and all is fine. The fronts were not worn at all but Discount Tires gave me a REALLY great deal on the new ones , they could sell the used ones they told me.
 
Thread starter
Ha never noticed this before. Just the way the tire rolled in when I parked it, looked down and saw my rear Angel GT has "GT" carved into it. Pretty cool eh?

eb06fb0512dc8b6f2301d16486513dd8.jpg
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ha never noticed this before. Just the way the tire rolled in when I parked it, looked down and saw my rear Angel GT has "GT" carved into it. Pretty cool eh?

eb06fb0512dc8b6f2301d16486513dd8.jpg

Cool yes, but disappears pretty quick.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
I imagine, but never saw it at all on my first set.
 
It would have been there.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ha never noticed this before. Just the way the tire rolled in when I parked it, looked down and saw my rear Angel GT has "GT" carved into it. Pretty cool eh?

eb06fb0512dc8b6f2301d16486513dd8.jpg
Ferret, would like to know:
how many miles on your GTs
how many are left in your judgement or present tread depth
F & R pics from close range
TY
 
Thread starter
PB... I only have 2500 miles on this second set. The first set went 7500 miles, so there should be about 5K left on these.
 
The ferret_imp said:
PB... I only have 2500 miles on this second set. The first set went 7500 miles, so there should be about 5K left on these.
7500 miles = 12007 kms...hm.. I have 110/front/DLX...so will see my mileage, but it will take to next season as I do not ride it that often. thanks
 
peterbaron, I got 14,600 kms on my rear Angel GT and 18,700 on the front.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
peterbaron, I got 14,600 kms on my rear Angel GT and 18,700 on the front.
Did that result underwhelm, meet, or exceed your expectations - traction performance and all other things considered?
 
I was pretty happy with that, GO. They were good tyres. I’d have preferred to have been able to stick with PR3s as they were good for 20,000 Kim’s plus, but they stopped being available.
 
I was eager to get the Angel GT this time around, but I just couldn't get them, couldn't even order a pair, and that's why I went with the Z8's. I had Angel GT2 on my Tiger 1050, and I found them to be the best all-around tire I've ever had on a motorcycle, and as they don't come in our sizes, I thought the Angel GT would be the next best thing. Unfortunately it wasn't possible.
I know some may think I could have ordered a pair from any outlet abroad, however, even if I wanted to pay the extra money for courier shipping from US, UK or wherever, there are manufacturer and carrier restrictions in place for import of tires in the UAE - specifically the ones that, on paper, have an official distributor/dealer for the region. Complicated for no real reason.



'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
I think the Angel GTs have been discontinued. It's a pity; they're good tyres.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I think the Angel GTs have been discontinued. It's a pity; they're good tyres.
Bad good news.
We already had PR3x18" which were fantastic tires with perfect grip, handling and longevity...now gone forever..
There are other PRs but not 18" :-/
 
Back
Top